Church/Assembly

I was recently blasted by a non-Catholic because I had mentioned that the Catholic Church was the pillar of truth (per NT) and the non-Catholic said that the word “church” was not ever used in Jesus’ days; that the word was “assembly.” Therefore, I was told that the Catholic Church is false. Is this semantics (church/assembly)? How should I have responded? Thanks. I’m rather green when defending the Catholic Church and am easily brow-beat.

I am pretty sure NO english was used in the time (and location) of the Bible accounts. :wink: Your friend seems not to understand that the original languages of the writings have several meanings for each word and the words chosen at the time of translation involve many assumptions on the part of the translators and the current culture, and that multiple verses refer to the groups of the faithful that respected the teachings of Jesus and his followers. I don’t want to sound judgemental or anything, but we should look at scripture in context and not just in pieces. This is especially true for those groups that rely ONLY on the Bible, eh? :confused:

Just a thought.

[quote=jim1130]I was recently blasted by a non-Catholic because I had mentioned that the Catholic Church was the pillar of truth (per NT) and the non-Catholic said that the word “church” was not ever used in Jesus’ days; that the word was “assembly.” Therefore, I was told that the Catholic Church is false. Is this semantics (church/assembly)? How should I have responded? Thanks. I’m rather green when defending the Catholic Church and am easily brow-beat.
[/quote]

The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus. The non-Catholic’s church was founded by some man who was not God and they are saying the Catholic Church is false?

God Bless,
Matt

[quote=jim1130]I was recently blasted by a non-Catholic because I had mentioned that the Catholic Church was the pillar of truth (per NT) and the non-Catholic said that the word “church” was not ever used in Jesus’ days; that the word was “assembly.” Therefore, I was told that the Catholic Church is false. Is this semantics (church/assembly)? How should I have responded? Thanks. I’m rather green when defending the Catholic Church and am easily brow-beat.
[/quote]

The New Testament was written for the most part in Greek. The Greek word used here in the passage you quoted means “The Assembly of those called out” That “Assembly” is the Church. The ONE Church founded by Christ. I don’t see where Assembly and Church conflict with one another.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.