Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway

**OKLAHOMA CITY – **An Oklahoma church canceled a controversial gun giveaway for teenagers at a weekend youth conference.

Windsor Hills Baptist had planned to give away a semiautomatic assault rifle until one of the event’s organizers was unable to attend.

The church’s youth pastor, Bob Ross, said it’s a way of trying to encourage young people to attend the event. The church expected hundreds of teenagers from as far away as Canada

koco.com/news/16860079/detail.html

An assault rifle?! I could see a hunting rifle or shotgun, but… :eek:

:shrug:

Yeah, that’s the way to get them into church. Oy.

It’s early in the morning right now, just after 2:20am and I am wondering, did I just read that right!? O.o

Define ‘assault rifle’.
What makes it so?

How is it different from other guns?
You might be surprised.
‘Assault rifle’ is media hype.

I said no. I am a member of the NRA and believe that citizens have the right to own and carry guns. But, guns are not a way to promote religion to the youth of America.

The gun in question is an AR-15, which is the civilian equivalent of the M-16.

But similar weapons seem to be involved with the youth group.
Here is a news article which shows a boy aiming a different gun.
9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=95647&provider=top

The church’s youth pastor, Bob Ross, said it’s a way of trying to encourage young people to attend the event. The church expected hundreds of teenagers from as far away as Canada.

Yeah, nothing like giving out something that is illegal in the participants’ country. What a stupid idea this is.

An AR-15??? And to a teen-ager??? :rotfl:

This is classic stupid.

Am I allowed to say stupid? :shrug:

Why not?

Teenagers for the last century have owned and used guns with far larger calibers.

Remember, the AR-15 uses a round that is only slightly larger than the .22 ( .223 , that is 3/100’s of an inch larger). And that round was first developed to be used on vermin ( ground hogs, rabbits, fox etc…)

In fact, it’s still used as such on many farms ( and yes, by teenagers).

Why not? I thought I said this already: It’s stupid.

Did the teens purchase the firearms themselves or where they given to them by their parents or with their parents permission?

Churches giving away firm arms is a bad idea. Teens owning firearms might be an OK idea, we’d have to ckeck with their folks.

Good post, and points, Brendan.

I’m not sure of the wisdom of churches handing out guns,
but did want to address the fear/paranoia that the term
’assault rifle’ often brings.

People tend to hear it and immediately think of uzi’s or
something, lol.

LOL Right! Like an UZI:

Or maybe like the AR-15 they had in mind:

Explore Lacey Jaye

They are so much cuter in pink, aren’t they?

Shooting sports for teens is absolutlely acceptable and is extremely popular. Teens hunt and shoot with their parents all the time, there is nothing wrong with the practice at all. See here for more: usashooting.com/

What IS wrong is a place of worship giving away a gun when they have no idea if the parents would approve of their child winning such a prize. It is not the place for such a give away, and the choice of such a prize is absolutely stupid.

The bone head move is choosing a gun as a prize. Not that a teen might be engaged in shooting sports. Totally different and unrelated discussions.

~Liza

I really thought this had to be from the spoof site Landmark Baptist at first. It’s real? I can’t believe it!

:whacky:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.