Church Celebrates First Beatification in the United States — Sister Miriam Teresa Demjanovich

NEWARK, N.J. — On Oct. 4, at the Cathedral-Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, N.J., the first beatification ever held in the United States took place, as Sister Miriam Teresa Demjanovich, a young Sister of Charity who died in the Garden State in 1927, was formally raised to the altars.

ncregister.com/site/article/blessed-in-the-u.s.a/

Hey everyone. Just so you know, I chose the subtitle of the article as the title for this thread because the actual title of the article “Blessed in the USA” seemed too vague of a title for a thread. The subtitle is far more descriptive and therefore more people will know what this thread is about simply by looking at the title.

Anyway, I think this is awesome news! I had no idea that there was going to be a beatification today until I saw the news on Facebook earlier today.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit! As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end! Amen!

Blessed Miriam Teresa Demjanovich, please pray for us! Amen.

Here is an article about the miracle that was gained through her intercession which resulted in her beatification.

newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/04/nun-credited-with-curing-boys-eye-disease-to-be-beatified-at-newark-mass/

Demjanovich, of Bayonne, died in 1926. Years later, the mother of a boy who was going blind said he had prayed to Demjanovich and soon after his vision completely returned, Burrell reported.

Holly, thanks for posting!

I’m somewhat surprised that this event did not receive more attention in the forum.

As mentioned in the article, Blessed Miriam Teresa was born into the Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholic Church. I was fortunate to be able to attend the Divine Liturgy of Thanksgiving, celebrated the day after the beatification at her home parish - St John the Baptist BCC in Bayonne, NJ.

Here is a photo of the icon commissioned for the beatification, displayed on the Tetrapod of the church that day …

[ATTACH]20969[/ATTACH]

Blessed Miriam Teresa, pray for us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.