Church fathers and others

Which Church fathers are least popular with Protestants?

The ones whose writings and theology they disagree with.

[quote=jusher7281]The ones whose writings and theology they disagree with.
[/quote]

You need to be a little less vague ;).

St. Ignatius of Antioch, really.

[quote=mark a]Which Church fathers are least popular with Protestants?
[/quote]

Very few protestants could name even a single one of the Early Fathers. Most seem unaware that such people ever existed. So I doubt there is much consensus on the question.

Before becoming Catholic minded, I had no knowlege of the church fathers. I could tell you all about the Bible, but I didn’t care about Ignatius or Augustine or Justin Martyr or any other father of the Church. Most protestants see no need for them.

Unless they are Calvinist, they probably can’t stand St. Augustine.

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]You need to be a little less vague ;).

St. Ignatius of Antioch, really.
[/quote]

Hardly. John Wesley included his letters as the first installment of his “Christian Library” (a collection of what he regarded as particularly edifying writings).

If we’re sticking to relatively early figures–let’s say before Chalcedon–I think Jerome is the most reviled figure (ironically, given that his views on the deuterocanonicals, at least early on, were more in keeping with Protestantism than those of the Protestant favorite Augustine).

Edwin

[quote=Contarini]Hardly. John Wesley included his letters as the first installment of his “Christian Library” (a collection of what he regarded as particularly edifying writings).

If we’re sticking to relatively early figures–let’s say before Chalcedon–I think Jerome is the most reviled figure (ironically, given that his views on the deuterocanonicals, at least early on, were more in keeping with Protestantism than those of the Protestant favorite Augustine).

Edwin
[/quote]

while this may be true with some protestants, most protestants do not even know who the Church Fathers are, especially evangelical protestantism.

Call no man “father” remeber?

[quote=Catholic Dude]Call no man “father” remeber?
[/quote]

:rotfl: That is excelent!

[quote=Hegesippus]while this may be true with some protestants, most protestants do not even know who the Church Fathers are, especially evangelical protestantism.
[/quote]

How many Catholics really know anything about the Fathers? Most probably know some names because of the calendar (at least if they attend weekday Mass, which is a big if). The problem is that you’re comparing the very devout, intellectually curious Catholics who mostly hang out here to the average Protestant. That’s highly unfair.

I don’t dispute for a minute that the Fathers are less important to most evangelical Protestants than to Catholics as a whole. But it’s easy to make the gap look bigger than it is. Go into the average Catholic parish and ask the first person coming out of the door on a Sunday morning to name three Church Fathers and tell you something about each of them, and I don’t think you’ll have a lot of luck.

I knew a Reformed Baptist guy whose father named him Augustine Athanasius (he mostly went by Gus) . . . . Not that that proves anything!

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.