Church for sale!

I belong to a merged parish of 5 churches in Jersey City, NJ. Recently, we were notified that one of the merged churches, St Boniface, may have to be sold. This happens to be just a few blocks from a bigger church that is part of the merged, and since our merged parish is having financial difficulties, it would seem logical that one of the two neighboring churches would be closed, and the smaller church, St Boniface was chosen… Many of us are very sad about this. Not only because it is an incredibly beautfiul church-- stunning architecture, elegant classical nteriors and also a beautiful collecition of antique Italian statues – but more so, because there is a small but active group of Hispanic people who do frequent this church, (though many of the same Hispanic community go to the neighboring bigger church.). This is the one church too in our area that has had daytime perpetual adoration and is a sanctuary for a few people (though unfortunately not enough people and they are thinking of closing down the adoration, even before it is officially up for salet). .

If the merged parish will have no choice but to sell this beautiful little church, we are just hoping that maybe a religious order can take over. Is there at a way to find a network that would connect us with religious orders who may be looking for a church and convent (available with this) that they can move into. This is right in a busy little city and yet is in a quiet enough neighborhood. We would rather have this happen than if this were to be sold to people who will turn this into condominiums. PLEASE HELP!
Love, in Jesus,
Teresa

Its a tough sale, as the number of religious is decreasing and the orders already have excess space. The Passionists here in Pittsburgh sold part of their own monestary here for a personal care home for mental patients.

Lots of parishes have closed here over the years and adopted new uses, so you’re not alone.

[quote=tgerlinger143]I belong to a merged parish of 5 churches in Jersey City, NJ. Recently, we were notified that one of the merged churches, St Boniface, may have to be sold. This happens to be just a few blocks from a bigger church that is part of the merged, and since our merged parish is having financial difficulties, it would seem logical that one of the two neighboring churches would be closed, and the smaller church, St Boniface was chosen… Many of us are very sad about this. Not only because it is an incredibly beautfiul church-- stunning architecture, elegant classical nteriors and also a beautiful collecition of antique Italian statues – but more so, because there is a small but active group of Hispanic people who do frequent this church, (though many of the same Hispanic community go to the neighboring bigger church.). This is the one church too in our area that has had daytime perpetual adoration and is a sanctuary for a few people (though unfortunately not enough people and they are thinking of closing down the adoration, even before it is officially up for salet). .

If the merged parish will have no choice but to sell this beautiful little church, we are just hoping that maybe a religious order can take over. Is there at a way to find a network that would connect us with religious orders who may be looking for a church and convent (available with this) that they can move into. This is right in a busy little city and yet is in a quiet enough neighborhood. We would rather have this happen than if this were to be sold to people who will turn this into condominiums. PLEASE HELP!
Love, in Jesus,
Teresa
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about this…I am quite familiar with St. Boniface as I am in J.C. quite a bit (oldest son goes to PREP). It is really a lovely church…shame that it has to be sold.

[quote=tgerlinger143]I belong to a merged parish of 5 churches in Jersey City, NJ. Recently, we were notified that one of the merged churches, St Boniface, may have to be sold. This happens to be just a few blocks from a bigger church that is part of the merged, and since our merged parish is having financial difficulties, it would seem logical that one of the two neighboring churches would be closed, and the smaller church, St Boniface was chosen… Many of us are very sad about this. Not only because it is an incredibly beautfiul church-- stunning architecture, elegant classical nteriors and also a beautiful collecition of antique Italian statues – but more so, because there is a small but active group of Hispanic people who do frequent this church, (though many of the same Hispanic community go to the neighboring bigger church.). This is the one church too in our area that has had daytime perpetual adoration and is a sanctuary for a few people (though unfortunately not enough people and they are thinking of closing down the adoration, even before it is officially up for salet). .

Love, in Jesus,
Teresa
[/quote]

If this church were in my area (Detroit), it would be gutted and become a Mosque.

[quote=netmilsmom]If this church were in my area (Detroit), it would be gutted and become a Mosque.
[/quote]

First if the Church can not afford to keep the building and they need to sell it what does it matter what it turns into after the sale…a Mosque,Temple or house. Once it is sold it is no longer a Church but a building, IMHO.

[quote=Karin]First if the Church can not afford to keep the building and they need to sell it what does it matter what it turns into after the sale…a Mosque,Temple or house. Once it is sold it is no longer a Church but a building, IMHO.
[/quote]

I can tell you never had the church you grew up in sold.

[quote=netmilsmom]I can tell you never had the church you grew up in sold.
[/quote]

Nope…but then if this is the case why dont the parishoners do something about it??
And does it only upset you that a church is sold to Muslims…as that is the impression I got from your post.

[quote=Karin]Nope…but then if this is the case why dont the parishoners do something about it??
And does it only upset you that a church is sold to Muslims…as that is the impression I got from your post.
[/quote]

It upsets me that a Catholic church is sold to anyone. In some cases, there are no parishioners left to help.

The only good that I see from our Historic Churches being sold or destroyed is that the fixtures are going to the bare, hall-like churches in the suburbs. After years of walking into Catholic churches that one has a hard time finding much of a difference from the Methodist church up the street, we are finally getting statuary into our Catholic churches.

And I know this from personal experience because my younger daughter took piano lessons in a Methodist church that looked just like the Catholic church I left.

A local monestary, DunScotus, was closed a number of year ago, and sold to a Baptist group. The gutted it - but no worse than some of the wreckovations performed by Catholics. It was sad to see the marble, the beautiful wood, et al sold or destroyed.

But holy ground is always holy ground… witness Gordon Cromwell Seminary :thumbsup:

[quote=MrS]A local monestary, DunScotus, was closed a number of year ago, and sold to a Baptist group. The gutted it - but no worse than some of the wreckovations performed by Catholics. It was sad to see the marble, the beautiful wood, et al sold or destroyed.

But holy ground is always holy ground… witness Gordon Cromwell Seminary :thumbsup:
[/quote]

There is a site somewhere that sells fixtures from churches.

I’d like a nice marble communion rail at the new building, but right now we are trying to find 20 extra parking spaces before Sterling Heights will let us break ground!

[quote=netmilsmom]There is a site somewhere that sells fixtures from churches.

I’d like a nice marble communion rail at the new building, but right now we are trying to find 20 extra parking spaces before Sterling Heights will let us break ground!
[/quote]

Tom Monahan, in spite of the troubles he is ingulfed in, has a warehouse full of old “stuff”. We acquired an almost full size statue of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus, had it restorded a little and but it in our baptismal niche. I saw some great stations of the cross too… big!, 3-deminsional, and lots of church decor.

sorry…no parking spaceshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_7_23.gif

[quote=MrS]A local monestary, DunScotus, was closed a number of year ago, and sold to a Baptist group. The gutted it - but no worse than some of the wreckovations performed by Catholics. It was sad to see the marble, the beautiful wood, et al sold or destroyed.

[/quote]

Thank you for all your replies. The situation is very difficult for all the old historic church buildings that are very expensive to maintain for heating and airconditioning. My husband heard that there is an ongoing study by some university on how to deal with these buildings, but he is not sure which one. Some suggestions I can think of 1. Go back to using wood stoves in the churches for heating 2. use solar power (expensive to set up though). 3, create an alternative place for daily mass and adoration, perhaps in one of the rooms that can be converted into a smaller chapel and just keep the main church closed, except for Sunday worship. 4. Obtain federal and stating funding provided for historic buildings for the repairs and renovations of these beautiful old churches.

Is there anhyone out there who can tell us a success story on how they are maintaining their parish in an old historic church?

In the love and joy of Jesus,
Teresa

[quote=Kielbasi]Its a tough sale, as the number of religious is decreasing and the orders already have excess space. The Passionists here in Pittsburgh sold part of their own monestary here for a personal care home for mental patients.

Lots of parishes have closed here over the years and adopted new uses, so you’re not alone.
[/quote]

I wonder if there is an ongoing study on the closing of Catholic Churches all over the U.S.A? How many have closed in the last 3 years?. Do most of them close their churches or merge because they are losing parish membership, and so financial support? How does this compare with the Protestant churches, who are usually strong on biblical tithing ? Are the dioceses losing the churches because of the large amounts that had to be paid out to victims of sex scandals ?
Or has this been happening before the scandals?

Love,in Jesus,
Teresa.

Look here…
stalbertus.org/

I certainly hope they’re going to remove all of the sacred objects like statues, etc. before they sell this church. I would like to think that most intelligent diocesan bureaucrats would do that, but I shouldn’t assume. Several decades ago, our diocese sold an old church to some Protestants, the whole kit and caboodle…statuary, crucifixes and other liturgical appointments. Well, turns out it ended up in the hands of the SSPX instead of the Protestants. That’s what’s known as a lib sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind. :rotfl:

I would avoid trying to secure state and federal funding. It’s just another layer of red tape and nobody needs that aggravation.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]I certainly hope they’re going to remove all of the sacred objects like statues, etc. before they sell this church. I would like to think that most intelligent diocesan bureaucrats would do that, but I shouldn’t assume. Several decades ago, our diocese sold an old church to some Protestants, the whole kit and caboodle…statuary, crucifixes and other liturgical appointments. Well, turns out it ended up in the hands of the SSPX instead of the Protestants. That’s what’s known as a lib sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind. :rotfl:

I would avoid trying to secure state and federal funding. It’s just another layer of red tape and nobody needs that aggravation.
[/quote]

(what are you doing up this early?)
WHY would a Diocese sell off all things Catholic to Protestants???

Maroons.

[quote=netmilsmom](what are you doing up this early?)
WHY would a Diocese sell off all things Catholic to Protestants???

Maroons.
[/quote]

I’m practicing sleep deprivation so I can relate better to you parents. Let me tell ya, mom. It gets old sleeping in til 11 every Saturday. And I’m getting sick of those lazy Sunday afternoon naps, too. :yawn:

Why do liberals do anything they do? That’s one of life’s great mysteries. I suspect it’s because they just didn’t care. I understand the Protestant pastor was using the crucifix to prop open one of the windows before the SSPX rescued the church.

[quote=Dr. Bombay]I’m practicing sleep deprivation so I can relate better to you parents. Let me tell ya, mom. It gets old sleeping in til 11 every Saturday. And I’m getting sick of those lazy Sunday afternoon naps, too. :yawn:
[/quote]

Really, Dads do that anyway! Ask my “I stayed up too late” hubby who rolls out of bed at 10:30 on Saturday and Sunday!

Well, God willing, we may have a two year old coming to stay with us, so it will be back to the Mommy grind for me. When they hit 7 & 5 they can pour their own cereal and turn on the tv for an hour.

Why do liberals do anything they do? That’s one of life’s great mysteries. I suspect it’s because they just didn’t care. I understand the Protestant pastor was using the crucifix to prop open one of the windows before the SSPX rescued the church.

Augh!
Well in the end, if the SSPX works it out with the Vatican, we’ll get them back anyway.

In my travels, I’ve seen more and more of churches closing. Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, etc. It’s a sad sign of our times.

Usually, when a Lutheran congregation disbands, a worship service is held. At the conclusion of the service, The Bible, Holy Communion-ware, Cross, Candlesticks, Liturgical Paraments, to name a few, are removed.

At a later time, any other worship-related items, not feasible to be removed during the worship service, are taken out. The church facility is no longer considered a “church” because the people who comprise the congregation have disbanded.

It’s a sad time and even more sad that this is happening with greater frequency … :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.