Church Hierachy

I am at a loss for proper words on this passage in defense of the Church’s Hierarchy:

Matthew 20:25-27

But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them.  It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave.

Any help?

The key is “lord it over them”.

[quote=michaelgazin]I am at a loss for proper words on this passage in defense of the Church’s Hierarchy:

But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave.

Any help?
[/quote]

The pope is the “Servant of Servants”. It doesn’t contradict the heirarchy.

[quote=michaelgazin]I am at a loss for proper words on this passage in defense of the Church’s Hierarchy:

But Jesus called them to him and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave.

Any help?
[/quote]

Why does it need defense, humans need structure. I cannot think of any human organization that doesn’t have a hierachy. The difference in the church, is that if the office holder is being true to his office, he a servant to those under his care.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.