Church History

Every time I read about the Church Fathers I see quotes up to about 500a.d.

Is there any writings that we know of that exist between the time periods of 500a.d to 1900a.d…

I realize these might not necessarily be called “Fathers.” I have been looking for writings by church leaders during these years and have not found very many of them.

I am sorry if this topic has already been covered elsewhere, if it has I couldn’t find it. Thanks.

There have been may great church fathers after the 500 A.D. Pope Benedict even wrote a book about them. Just to throw one out there, St. Thomas Aquinas is a church father in the 13th century

amazon.com/Fathers-Vol-Pope-Benedict-XVI/dp/1592767834/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1286655153&sr=8-6

Thank you for the book recommendation. I am familiar with St. Thomas Aquinas. I was meaning like we see quotes from several different church leaders in the early A.D.

Take for example, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. We have overwhelming writings on this topic from the early church fathers.

I was wanting to show a consensus of belief all the way from 30A.D. until 2010 A.D…with no time gaps.

Like here is a church leader or someone with authority to teach Church dogma in 120A.D., 320ad, 520ad, 720ad, 840ad, 945ad, 1034ad, 1130ad, 1442ad, 1563ad, 1689ad, 1940ad…

hmmm I bet its even more frequent then that but that might take some digging. An example of that particular casecan be St. Juliana of Mt. Cornillon --> St Thomas Aquinas who wrote “O Salutaris Hostia” --> Pope Urban IV who would create the feast of Corpus Christi.

And i beat someone wrote something each time there was a documented Eucharistic miracle therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/engl_mir.htm

There are so many important Church theologians and writers between AD 500 and 1900 that you could never read them all in your life. I mean, seriously, there is no lack of documentation. There are countries and periods of history where we don’t know bupkis about the king or the battles, but we’ve got sermons galore and arguments about the nature of the Trinity.

The period of the Fathers is generally considered to end at AD 600. Everybody else is a “later writer”.

If you want to study the Fathers, you will probably want to get into one of the big series of translations. Most big university libraries will have something from the Catholic University of America series or one of the other ones. (There’s ones out of Oxford, out of Boston, out of St. Vladimir’s, and so on. Tons and tons of them.)

Beyond that, there are many large collections of “Collected Works” of theologians and also many translations of single works or smaller collections. If you read Latin, Migne’s massive collections of the Patrologia Latina and Patrologia Graeca are partially online and partially still going with new appendices of newly-discovered materials. They include pretty much every major theologian who wrote in Latin or Greek, practically up to his own day. There’s also tons of stuff in Syriac/Aramaic, Coptic (that’s Egyptian), Arabic, Gaelic, Frankish, and so on and so forth.

So there’s a lot of interesting stuff out there to read, some of which has English translations and some of which does not. The best thing to do is to read about Church history or saints, and then run a search on any writer who sounds interesting and authoritative. These days, that will probably give you a pretty good start on looking around for reading material.

You could begin by checking out the “doctors” of the Catholic Church.
doctorsofthecatholicchurch.com/IOD.html

crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/128/Doctors_of_the_Church.html

The above sites give you their names. From there you could check on their writings.

I appreciate the replies. They are great!

Mostly you see these early quotes because people are looking to examine beliefs of Catholics prior to Constantine.

Most folks don’t doubt that the Church looked like the Catholic Church of today from 500 AD to 1500 A.D.

So the folks that wrote in this time frame just don’t get much press….

Chuck[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

There are 33 doctors of the Catholic Church. Check out their names, dates lived, and their writings

Here’s a booklet written by St Francis de Sales you can read online. He’s a Church Doctor who wrote tracks during the Protestant revolt defending the beliefs of the Catholic Church.
goodcatholicbooks.org/francis/catholic-controversy.html

I would suggest that you go to the newadvent and search Real Presence.

I am doing some study now on mystics where I find references, including Julian of Norwich and Hildegard of Bingen. Hilde wrote a lot of liturgical music for use in the Mass that she said came from her visions.

I would suggest the books by Warren Carrol especially his “History of Christendom” series
fraternitypublications.com/the-history-of-christendom-series.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.