Church needs a PR Manager!

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Catholic Church is in sore need for a public relations manager? I cannot stand reading any more biased articles in the New York Times or other sources, where they blast the Church on a daily basis, and then see the deafening silence in response from the Church. If we have no coherent voice to set the story straight, others people are going to assume that the stories are all 100% correct.:eek:

I’m sure the Vatican has some spokespersons, but they don’t seem to get any play in the USA. :shrug:

New York Times refuses to publish us when we try to set the story straight so a PR manger would not be very effective I am afraid, A Archbishop, I forget which one did try and set the story straight and his letter never made the paper, we have a coherent voice but we are denied access to the main stream media. The letter was posted on the internet at the time but the New York Times refused to publish it, it was an excellent letter as well.

The best PR for the Chruch comes from the witness of me and you to the people we know.

That was Archbishop Dolan of NY. The response of the NY Times can be read as “How dare you contradict us!”

I would think that in one sense, Pope Benedict XVI is kind of a public relations manager. I mean, after all, he is the representative of Christ on earth.

The best PR for the Chruch comes from the witness of me and you to the people we know.
This is the best advice, thanks. Intuitively I know this, but the news depresses me.:blush:

Has anyone else noticed something:
Prop 8 passes in california. The pro-gay “marraige” movement vows revenge. They go through the lists of Mormons who contributed to the campaign and publish their names and addresses online. They even publish work locations for some of them. The Mormons undergo harrassment and death threats. People write to their jobs bearing false witness and asking that they be fired.

Then this same movement turns on the Catholic church, the other partner in significant contribution to the prop-8 campaign… only… no lists! The church gave money without having to give up the names of it’s parishoners… so how does the pro-gay lobby get back at the catholics?

and then we arrive at where we are today: re-reporting old stories that have already been covered, making a scandal out of things that happened 40 years ago in which the perpetrator died long before any allegation was ever made, misrepresenting the facts, refusing to take interviews or data from the Catholic side, and running libelous attacks at all levels of church heirarchy.

This isn’t journalism… and i’m beginning to suspect it’s vengeance for daring to stand out against an agenda…

Problem #1 reading the New York Times :smiley:

This indeed is the truth and it is our call as given to us from our Lord. I remember that He chose to charge Peter, a couple of fishermen, a tax collector and a few other less qualified individuals. He probably could have come up with a “better” group for purposes of PR. But that’s what He did!

Brothers and sisters, we as a church have been the target of smear campaigns for over 2000 yrs. But as members of AA understand there is greater benefit in “attraction rather than promotion”.

We may not have a PR man, but we do have THE Advocate; and by the Power of the Holy Spirit the Church shall prevail against the gates of hell- so don’t worry about the NY Times!

Vewy intewesting!:wink:

This indeed is the truth and it is our call as given to us from our Lord. I remember that He chose to charge Peter, a couple of fishermen, a tax collector and a few other less qualified individuals. He probably could have come up with a “better” group for purposes of PR. But that’s what He did!

Brothers and sisters, we as a church have been the target of smear campaigns for over 2000 yrs. But as members of AA understand there is greater benefit in “attraction rather than promotion”.

We may not have a PR man, but we do have THE Advocate; and by the Power of the Holy Spirit the Church shall prevail against the gates of hell- so don’t worry about the NY Times!

How true, thanks.:thumbsup:

Agreed. There are numerous cardinals and bishops who also serve as PR.

-Prophecy

The moment the CC is not attacked by Hollyweird and the liberal media would be very scary:eek:

This is true Prophesy. :slight_smile: I think they make good public relations people too! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.