Church of Christ

Hi,

I have a few friends who are from Church of Christ.
I just want to know what the differences are between Church of Christ and Catholic

Also If I ever get into a discussion about “the true religion” with them what would their arguments against the catholic church would they raise and how would I rebut them?

SO far the differences I’ve noticed is they don’t have priests they have ministers.
And they have baptism in a huge bath!
and they also don’t agree with baptising infants. I had one of my Church of christ friends raise that but I couldn’t say much in responce. I didn’t want to get in an argument and my friend happens to know more than me and is quite religious I think shes a “minister” i’m not sure.

Evanescence

It is basically a mainline protestant demonination. Ya know, one of the 1000 or so that believe in the Bible, Bible only source crowd. Might want to ask your friend very politely how old the demonination is and why would God let people wonder so long after Jesus if the Catholic Church was so wrong on things.

Also If I ever get into a discussion about “the true religion” with them what would their arguments against the catholic church would they raise and how would I rebut them?

If the question of true religion come up, simply answer with Matthew Chapter 7:24-29.

Nowhere in the Bible does anyone mention any denomination.

:blessyou:

I have relatives who are Church of Christ. They are wonderful people, sincere Christians, quite serious about their faith. They try to follow biblical precepts. Their beliefs and practices are not really very different from Catholics for the most part. For example, they celebrate the Lord’s Supper every Sunday with great reverence. In my experience, they are respectful of the Catholic faith because they perceive that we, too, follow the ancient Christian traditions and separate ourselves from the ways of the world. Their understanding of baptism corresponds more to our sacrament of confirmation; that is, they believe that baptism confers full adult membership in their church, and therefore they reserve it for those who are willing and able to make an adult commitment to the faith.

I grew up Church of Christ,no musical instraments allowed,miracles stopped with the Apostles they believe they are the only one going to heaven.:nope:

I would start by talking to them about the things we have in common. Both of us believe that OSAS is bad theology, so there won’t be a lot of the paradigm shift required with other christian denominations. After that, I recommend starting with the Eucharist - they don’t believe in the Real Presence. As it is one of the most biblically supported of our teachings, I would always start there. After that, I would continue with the rest of the sacraments, saving baptism for last.

RyanL

The so-called “churches of Christ” believe they are the only church that Christ has. I too was raised in this denomination that claims it is not a denomination. They also say they are not Protestant or Catholic just Christian, the only Christians.

They beleive that they are the original church that goes all the way back to Jerusalem in 33 A.D. Of course this is nonsense they were started in 1906 by schismatic members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) who objected to the pipe organs and missionary funding organisations that were coming into use in the parent denomination.

The motivation for this is two-fold, first they in common with the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses beleive in a Total “Apostacy”/“Restoration” dichotomy. They beleive that the original Church followed the New Testament to the tee, legalistically. When the church stopped following the Bible this way it became “totally apostate” and simply ceased to exist. So they beleive that there were no Christians or church until the church was “restored” back into existence by the Campbells and Barton Stone in the early nineteenth century. Of course the holes in this logic are a mile wide. According to cofC theory the church which went strictly by the New Testament never had the NT to go by. The NT was not canonised until the year 390 by which time the “church of Christ” had already apostacised itself out of existence.

The second part of the motivation is that the “church of Christ” beleives that the New Testament is a blueprint or roadmap for restoring the church back into existence. Anyone at any time who picks up a NT can start a “church of Christ”, just by following it literally and legalistically. Church history, apostolic succession do not matter at all to the Campbellite. The only thing that matters is following the blueprint.

The cofC is idolatrous toward the Bible. They quote it by saying not “the Bible says”, but “God says” thus effectively calling the Bible “God”. Anything done in church that the Bible does not give permission or “authorise” is considered forbidden. That is the reason that csofC forbid the use of musical instruments, there is no “permission” given in the Bible for their use. The same thing goes for candles, vestments, incense, the NT does not give permission for thier use so they are forebiden.

The person who called the “church of Christ” a mainline Protestant church was incorrect. I imagine he was thinking of the United Church of Christ, which is completely different from the “churches of Christ”. Members of the cofC consider themselves the only Christians in the only church, they call all others members of “the denominations”. CofC members are very insulted when they are called Protestants, much less Liberal Mainline Protestants.

[quote=Evanescence]Hi,

I have a few friends who are from Church of Christ.
I just want to know what the differences are between Church of Christ and Catholic

SO far the differences I’ve noticed is they don’t have priests they have ministers.
And they have baptism in a huge bath!
and they also don’t agree with baptising infants. I had one of my Church of christ friends raise that but I couldn’t say much in responce. I didn’t want to get in an argument and my friend happens to know more than me and is quite religious I think shes a “minister” i’m not sure.

Evanescence
[/quote]

Evanescence: In the 1700’s a movement sprang up among Protestants, along the Eastern American seaboard, known as the ‘Christian Connection’. It was an attempt to unify Protestants around the principle that only the New Testament could be wholly relied upon as a basis for Christian belief or practice and that Christians should accept as binding only such things as are clearly set forth in the NT. (Remember that at the time–although nearly all Protestants taught the doctrine of Sola Scriptura–Lutherans and Episcopalians depended to one degree or another upon patristic tradition to interpret Scripture, Methodists and Congregationalists were wont to look to the Old Testament for clarification of the New Testament, etcetera).

Three of the leading lights of the ‘Christian Connection’ were Thomas and Alexander Campbell–father and son–and Barton Stone. Although they were seeking to establish a basis for unity among Protestants, what eventually emerged from the ‘Christian Connection’ was an independent denomination. Churches established by the Campbells tended to call themselves ‘Disciples of Christ’ or ‘Christian Church of_______’, while congregations formed under Stone’s influence tended to call themselves Church of Christ. It is worth noting that Stone also stayed mainly in the American South, whilst the Campbells evangelised in the East and Midwest. Stone tended to be minimalist–he favored the idea that anything not explcitly authorized by Scripture would be best avoided in Christian practice–while the Campbells tended to be more ‘broad-spirited’, feeling that anything not explicitly contrary to the New Testament or detrimental to Christian faith might be acceptable. Many of the Stone-established churches were non-instrumental, for example, because no specific New Testament passage authorizes the use of musical accompaniment to congregational singing. The Campellite-built congregations felt this was being far too scrupulous and divisive, an their congregations usually do use organs, pianos, or other musical instruments to accompany their hymns. Despite divisions of this sort, the movement spread and grew for several decades without serious problems.

Following the Civil War, the movement attempted to create a national network of Bible colleges, missionary societies, and a governing/co-ordinating body. Rifts between the Southern congregations and those north of the Mason-Dixon line deepened, especially since many of those spearheading the move towards centralized power tended to give aid and comfort to what Catholics would call ‘modernism’. The Churches of Christ officially hived off from the rest of the ‘Christian Connection’ congregations, denouncing the move towards centralized authority as reminiscent of what happened to the ‘Romish Church’. The Churches of Christ were first recognized as an independent denomination in the 1906(?) census. In the 1950’s the Disciples of Christ and Christian Churches split from one another over similar issues–liberal theology, centralization of authority–so that there are now three separate denominations–the Churches of Christ, the Independent Christian Churches, and the Disciples of Christ. They have similar practices (adult baptism of believers promptly following a simple public profession of faith; weekly communion; emphasis upon the New Testament as the ‘rule of faith’). The Churches of Christ are nearly always non-instrumental. None of these groups are especially anti-Catholic, although Alexander Campbell engaged a Roman Catholic priest in a rather famous series of debates in the 1800’s. That debate, by the way, is available on-line. I would have to look it up for you but a google search would turn it up readily. They DO tend to think they are ‘the’ Church that Christ founded, particularly the Independents and the Church of Christers. They would generally advocate a ‘trail of blood’ schema of how the Church survived throughout the Middle Ages. Typically they are no longer very ecumenical, depsite their roots as a denomination which sought to unify Protestants.

Hope this helps!

One of the things I’ve found about the Church of Christ is that they know a lot about the Catholic Church. The friends of mine who are CofC are always ready to point out all the bad popes we’ve had (you’d be surprised at how many they claim), and all the things wrong with the Catholic Church (Infant Baptism, Baptism by Sprinkling, Purgatory, music, and that whole “Mary Thing” we’ve got going on). One of the things you’ll find is that they are taught a lot about the Catholic Church, but it’s a little bit of truth covered in a whole bunch of lies. And they believe the tripe! Sometimes I think they subscribe to Jack Chick Publications.

I understand that they are very legalistic. One of our local churches couldn’t decide whether to distribute the “fruit of the vine” (he wouldn’t say wine, so I assume it’s grape juice considering their ban on alcohol) from one chalice or two, so they split up! Just flat out split up!!!

I had a recent discussion with one guy over Purgatory, and he said that when people die, they either go to a waiting room for heaven or a waiting room for hell. This will last until the Rapture. I’m curious if that theory is held throughout their faith.

Another interesting note. While banning music in church, the local CofC church does have a $13,000 sound system, as well as an “Infocus” so they can put the sermons up on “Powerpoints”. Now let’s see, was that in Romans? Nope, maybe in Revelations? Nope. I’m still not sure how they can satisfy this with their lack of music due to no precedence in the bible.

Regarding the 1906 origin from Alexander Campbell… When the Catholic Church became corrupt, several “True Christians” went underground (yes underground for 1700 years!!!) and resurfaced with the start of this movement. Any proof of this??? They don’t need no stinkin’ proof!

Good Luck with your discussions with them. For some free advice, I’d suggest picking a topic and staying on that topic. When we get in our little discussions, I can tell when I’m making a good point with them, because they will invariably bring up another topic, like “Explain to me how you can claim infallible popes with scoundrels like Honorius”.

You MUST cover Sola Scriptura first, in my opinion, because you will be unable to use the Early Church Fathers writings, as well as early Church Traditions as arguments unless you can establish that Sola Scriptura is an invalid argument. I can not stress this enough!!!

Good Luck! Let us know if you have any trouble, or need some help with some arguments. I’ve got numerous arguments for Infant Baptism and Sola Scriptura if you’d like them.

But I’ll always be NotWorthy!

John

[quote=Steve Green]It is basically a mainline protestant demonination. Ya know, one of the 1000 or so that believe in the Bible, Bible only source crowd. Might want to ask your friend very politely how old the demonination is and why would God let people wonder so long after Jesus if the Catholic Church was so wrong on things.
[/quote]

They claim AD 30 or 33 as their founding and they claim not only that they aren’t a denomination but that they are the one true church.

Dan L

I was a church of christ member as a teenager, but i really wasn’t involved with them to a great extent. my dad’s side of the family is entirely church of christ, so i became a member by default. many members believe they are the only true christians, but i never heard that from the preacher. the reason that i fell out of the CoC is because of my family’s erronious views of other demoninations. i did notice the CoC’s obsession with the books of paul. especially ephesians. also, our preacher never spoke anything about a rapture (at least to my knowledge). the ban on musical instruments struck me as wierd, but i got used to it after a while. i must say that i felt better there than at my aunt’s assembly of god church. those people freaked me out with thier speaking in tongues and saying “yes jesus” while the minister was leading them in prayer. i made the mistake of visiting during a revival. lol. but over all the people in the CoC are good people, and many are not anti catholic. i remember day when i was alot younger i cracked a joke about the pope in sunday school and i was scolded by the youth minister. he said that we should not criticize other deominations. in our church, the roman church was hardly ever mentioned. it really depends on which congregation you go to. the elders are in charge, and the preacher preaches what they want him to.

Evanescence,

This group is absolutely all about scripture, the King James Version. They sometimes act as though Christ Himself walked the earth preaching from the King James. They will listen to no argument unless it is from scripture. Then they will tell you what scripture “really” says. The only way to get through to one of them is to get him to admit that he only worships God in truth (which for him is scripture). Then show him that sola scriptura isn’t scriptural. This will confuse even the most misguided Campbellite.

If you must, you can check out their apologetics web site. Remember they are all about the scriptural proof for everything. So they spend most of their time arguing against science from scripture and trying to prove that the world is only 7000 years old. But if you look hard enough you will find some venomously anti-catholic propaganda on the site. All from scripture as they see it, of course.

This is a web site ran by Churches of Christ Apologists:

www.apologeticspress.org

Another thing I noticed, although they use the King James Version of the Bible, my friend tells me that the phrase “Faith Alone” is not used in Paul’s epistle to the Romans. He acted like he didn’t know what I was talking about.

Go Figure.

John

:thumbsup:

[quote=DaveD]Evanescence,

This group is absolutely all about scripture, the King James Version. They sometimes act as though Christ Himself walked the earth preaching from the King James. They will listen to no argument unless it is from scripture. Then they will tell you what scripture “really” says. The only way to get through to one of them is to get him to admit that he only worships God in truth (which for him is scripture). Then show him that sola scriptura isn’t scriptural. This will confuse even the most misguided Campbellite.

If you must, you can check out their apologetics web site. Remember they are all about the scriptural proof for everything. So they spend most of their time arguing against science from scripture and trying to prove that the world is only 7000 years old. But if you look hard enough you will find some venomously anti-catholic propaganda on the site. All from scripture as they see it, of course.

This is a web site ran by Churches of Christ Apologists:

www.apologeticspress.org
[/quote]

i just checked out your link, and you are right. in an article about the body of christ, they say some very mean stuff about catholics. i stand corrected. i do remember them looking down on me because i had a NIV bible at sunday school. also, they looked down on me because i had a girlfriend who was in another denomination.

Really? they don’t allow music???

Oh my gosh,

I go to youth group which is held in the Church of christ, most of the people there where church of christians.
In th youth group we had a discussion on how we are all part of the body of christ.
One of the questions asked was, what do you think you can do in the church?
My reply was Be part of the choir or do something that involves music.
NO WONDER THEY LOOKED AT ME FUNNILY!!! :bigyikes:
oh my gosh I’m so embarrest!

I love music I can’t imagine church without it!

Evanescence

Let’s clarify the music statement: The Church of Christ has singing in their services, but without musical instruments. When I heard they sang Acapella, I was trying to remember the tune (Bada-Boom, Ching), until I realized what that meant. But seriously, you’ll find they have wonderful singing voices, but no organs, guitars, etc. It’s interesting to note, I believe the Catholic Church didn’t allow this either at first. I may be off base, but there were two reasons:
A) They often had to meet in secret, before sunrise on Sunday’s due to Jewish and Roman persecution. The sound of music may have given them away.
B) Musicians, usually travelling around from town to town, were not well thought of in those days. They seemed to be known for their partying as well as their ability to play. Wow, that sounds familiar. That reminds me of an old saying, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but is sure does rhyme”.

Thanks,

John

That is correct, John; musical instruments were not used by catholics in the beginning. It is worth noting that Orthodox Christians still do not use musical instruments in their liturgies.

Actually, many of you have the church of Christ all wrong. If you look at what some of the original theologians of the restoration movement said you would be shocked how similar Catholic theology is to that of the restoration movement. They believe that ‘faith alone’ salvation is bogous and believe in many things that the earliest Christians believed in. They believe in apostolic authority (which leads them to a Bible only pattern) and they appoint local bishops (called elders) over their congregations with deacons serving under the bishops. The biggest difference is the doctrine of ‘the real presence’ in the eucharist (but some may actually believe that doctrine because they are autonmous for the most part) and they immerse adults for the remission of sins. They have a very orthodox view of the trinity and they have more respect for Catholicism than any other protestant group. As a matter of fact, they don’t have a whole lot in common with the majority of the mainline protestant denominations.

[quote=coachcj]Actually, many of you have the church of Christ all wrong. If you look at what some of the original theologians of the restoration movement said you would be shocked how similar Catholic theology is to that of the restoration movement. They believe that ‘faith alone’ salvation is bogous and believe in many things that the earliest Christians believed in. They believe in apostolic authority (which leads them to a Bible only pattern) and they appoint local bishops (called elders) over their congregations with deacons serving under the bishops. The biggest difference is the doctrine of ‘the real presence’ in the eucharist (but some may actually believe that doctrine because they are autonmous for the most part) and they immerse adults for the remission of sins. They have a very orthodox view of the trinity and they have more respect for Catholicism than any other protestant group. As a matter of fact, they don’t have a whole lot in common with the majority of the mainline protestant denominations.
[/quote]

Tell my Church of Christ family that:nope: According to them my children and I are going to hell and Catholics are witches(saints and miracles) because miracles supposedly stopped after the last apostle.:nope:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.