Church of England appoints Libby Lane as its first woman bishop

London: The Church of England appointed its first ever female bishop on Wednesday, overturning centuries of tradition in a Church that has been deeply divided over the issue.

It named Reverend Libby Lane, 48, as the new Bishop of Stockport in northern England.

smh.com.au/world/church-of-england-appoints-libby-lane-as-its-first-woman-bishop-20141217-129dy7.html

Not our fight, I suppose. But certain amusing ambiguous responses come to mind. Such as:

“Yup, she’s as much a bishop as the rest of the Anglican bishops are.”

:wink:

Penny’s sister?

I was wondering if this is normative in their communion, then what took them so long?

England is something like the “Rome” of Anglicanism. Or at least the Constantinople. Many national Anglican communions don’t accept the idea of women’s ordination. Canterbury until recently was loathe to provoke those countries/communities by following their (England’s) usual line of theological reasoning to it’s natural outcome: women’s ordination.

More “progress” from the “progressives”?

Come to think of it I’ve never seen a female African Anglican priest, although they must exist.

The only surprising thing is that it took them so long after allowing female priests. Who cares though they are not unique in terms of liberal protestant denominations with female bishops. I don’t know if this modern version of the CoE is preferable or their good old pre 60s uninteligenltly prejudiced against catholics version.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.