Church of England’s Impending Ordination of Women Bishops Poses Ecumenical Challenge

Church of England’s Impending Ordination of Women Bishops Poses Ecumenical Challenge

The Pope and the archbishop of Canterbury emphasized areas where their churches can work together when they met last month, but progress towards future unity appears blocked

LONDON — In a sign of the current good relations between the Catholic Church and the Church of England, the meeting at the Vatican on June 16 between Pope Francis and Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby was warm — but clouds still loom over the prospect of any unity between the two churches in the foreseeable future.

Read more: ncregister.com/daily-news/church-of-englands-impending-ordination-of-women-bishops-poses-ecumenical-c/#ixzz37BkYfflf

It would be very interesting to see how this develops.
I do feel bad for the traditional Anglicans.
They should come back to Rome. Maybe an Anglican rite can be added…

Perhaps my imagination is failing me, but I don’t understand how female priests could be accepted and yet female bishops not accepted. I am thinking that the larger issue of female ordination is the real stumbling block. Several provinces of the Anglican Communion (Canada, New Zealand, the United States) have had female bishops for more than twenty years. In recent years, several additional provinces have consecrated female bishops. When the Church of England decides to allow women to become bishops, it will not be unprecedented.

I think the horses have already bolted.

I believe that Church has already put in place an Anglican rite to accommodate those Anglicans who enjoyed their particular style of worship, but that allows them to act in full communion with Rome. I’m almost positive this has been a topic on Catholic Answers before, you might search the site about it.

This wasn’t the first storm cloud raised. That started when the first female clergy was ordained. I really don’t forsee any reunion - just frustarted Anglicans realizing that they have no where else to go but here. The Anglican Ordinate will be a comfort to them, I hope.

I suspect you are right about not foreseeing any reunion.

“Yet unspoken was a decision the Church of England is expected to take this month that would seriously damage the prospect of any future unity between the Catholic Church and the Worldwide Anglican Communion.”

Cardinal Kasper warned that “restoration of full church communion … would realistically no longer exist following the introduction of the ordination of women to episcopal office.”

I hope the Anglican Ordinate will be a comfort.

Yes however that is not my main concern, however. My concern is with the Ecumenical efforts will suffer greatly. I don’t see how it couldn’t. And now we have the Pope and a Cardinal voicing concern for the CoE decision to take this month of July.

Do you have a link or anything to this?

It’s mentioned in this same NRC article and it doesn’t say much about the specific decision to take place this month. If you find out more about it let me know.

“It is a near certainty that the Church of England’s General Synod, taking place in York July 11-15, will see the Anglicans push ahead with the creation of women bishops.”

Read more: ncregister.com/daily-news/church-of-englands-impending-ordination-of-women-bishops-poses-ecumenical-c/#ixzz37Cctf2tK

Maybe we’ll have to wait till the Gen Synod is over on the 15th

The previous Pope stopped all serious discussions with the Anglican communion as the advent of women priests was a brick wall to any foreseeable union under the Papacy. The Church has moved on to serious attempts at overcoming the political and doctrinal issues that brought about the great schism with the Orthodox. My prayers are that the two great churches, both having the valid priesthood can come together without losing their liturgical traditions.

Oh I see, thanks

There can be no reconciliation with the denominations that allow the female clergy. However this will undoubtedly lead to more Anglicans coming home to Holy Mother Church. It is an ill wind that blows no good.

This probably should not be a new ecumenical challenge.

As I’ve been taught, ecumenism is the recognition of another’s beliefs. We are all brothers and sisters in the Christian spirit. Conversion and changing beliefs are an entirely different matter.

I’m friends with an Anglican minister who sends me her sermons and tells me the goings on with my birthplace. I hope this is within the ecumenical spirit of the council.

I wonder if in the future the Archbishop of Canterbury turns out to be a woman, if it would be possible to have a warm meeting between the Pope and a female Archbishop of Canterbury. Already, Roman Catholic priests are having meetings with female presbyters in the various Protestant sects, and they seem to be friendly enough.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.