Church Pews - men and women separate

Since women wearing scandalous attire (and it being very difficult to enforce a dress code at Mass) can be an undue source of temptation for men, in our parish board meeting we have been seriously considering posting a voluntary policy where men would use the pews on the right and women the ones on the left. Does anyone have any good suggestions for the wording to go on this posting? Has it been tried in your parish/parishes?

Just when I think I’ve seen in all on CAF, someone comes along and breaks new ground. :hypno:

Oh boy....this is not going to be good....

I would try addressing the congregation directly about the situation. Otherwise you could insult a lot of people...

[quote="lobster, post:1, topic:186682"]
Since women wearing scandalous attire (and it being very difficult to enforce a dress code at Mass) can be an undue source of temptation for men, in our parish board meeting we have been seriously considering posting a voluntary policy where men would use the pews on the right and women the ones on the left. Does anyone have any good suggestions for the wording to go on this posting? Has it been tried in your parish/parishes?

[/quote]

I'll be honest and say that it seems like overkill. Do you plan on telling the parishioners the reasoning behind the voluntary policy? What effect do you think this will have on families? Have you considered asking your pastor to speak about modesty? Do you think this may turn some parishioners away from your church?

I'm obviously not aware of the extent of the issue at your church, but I don't think that this is a solution. This is just like a drug that masks a symptom to hide the disease. Rather than avoiding the issue, try to attack it head on. (I realize that this is difficult when you are trying to avoid offending people.)

Oh my word! :rolleyes:

Just have the women wear burkas. Problem solved. (j/k of course!) :D

So where do the babies and toddlers sit .... with mom or dad? What if the son wants to sit with mom?

Ridiculous.

A church with scandalously-attired women? Count me in!

hahahahaha

[/quote]

Sorry no one has directly answered your question. Allow me to throw out:

"NOTICE: Male parishoners who cannot control their eyes or thoughts and focus on God and the miracle that will occur during Mass are requested to sit on the right hand side of the Church and to refrain from looking at the Sin Pews on the left hand side. Sinful women wearing scandalous attire (you know who you are) are requested to sit in the Sin Pews on the left hand side of the Church and will process for communion after the men so that the men have time to avert their eyes after receiving the Lord. Please note: This policy DOES NOT APPLY to men wearing scandalous attire since women can control their lustful animal instincts. God Bless."

Feel free to use, no copyright attached. :whistle:

[quote="TheDoctor, post:8, topic:186682"]

"NOTICE: Male parishoners who cannot control their eyes or thoughts and focus on God and the miracle that will occur during Mass are requested to sit on the right hand side of the Church and to refrain from looking at the Sin Pews on the left hand side. Sinful women wearing scandalous attire (you know who you are) are requested to sit in the Sin Pews on the left hand side of the Church and will process for communion after the men so that the men have time to avert their eyes after receiving the Lord. Please note: This policy DOES NOT APPLY to men wearing scandalous attire since women can control their lustful animal instincts. God Bless."

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl: Quite well said I must say sir!

[quote="TheDoctor, post:8, topic:186682"]

[/quote]

What about women not wearing scandalous attire?

Would the sin pews be flashier, to call attention to them? Like satin pillows?

Would beer and various adult beverages be served in the sin pews?

Or they could call it the Jezebel Pews. :D

And women have just as many lustful thoughts as men. :blush:

When will men ever be able to look at the HUMAN body and appreciate the beauty that God has bestowed upon us. Why can’t men differentiate sexuality from the beauty of the human form?
Start there and you might have an answer to your query.
BTW, I am not one of the scantily clad women @ church. We all should try and emulate our Lord and accept and love EVERYONE for who they are. “PROPERLY” dressed or not.
Look beyond that.

Muslims and Jews don't even let women into the main worship area.

No. Those women deemed by the Attire Guards to be dressed correctly will be put to work during Mass praying for strength for the men and for repentence for the women.

No, as this would break the fasting rule before receiving communion.

Jezebel? Isn’t that O.T.? Perhaps we could go with that and have the ushers point at them and yell “UNCLEAN UNCLEAN” during the collection?

That’s why you’re the stronger sex. All part of God’s plan. :rolleyes:

Wow, what unfair responses!!! :nope: Hello, this is how the early Church was, people!

When announcing it, I would completely omit anything about the clothing impaired. Just have the priest (authority is important) say that we would like to test-run the introduction of an old tradition, and that he believes it will greatly enrich the spiritual participation at Mass.

No. I beleive, and please correct me if I am wrong, that in the early church ALL the men and ALL the women were separated as the early Jewish Christians only knew that as the way God wanted them to worship.

This is entirely different. Here, unless I am mistaken, the plan is for SOME of the women, i.e. those deemed by someone to be not properly dressed, will be segregated simply because of what they are wearing. There is no old tradition that is being implemented.

You will have to go a long way to convince me that the arbitrary splitting of the congregation adds to the spiritual participation of Mass. What’s next? How about those who don’t make enough money sit toward the back? How about the kid with ADD who can’t sit still - there’s a distraction. Let’s get him the heck out of here so we can concentrate on the Mass…and how about that one in the wheelchair with cerebal palsy who keeps moaning, that’s causing me to sin by not concentrating on Mass…better get them over to the Sin Pews as well.

Apologize if that last paragraph come off a little brisk, just can’t beleive anyone thinks this idea has any merit, but that’s just my opinion.

You beat me to it! :thumbsup:

The problem with separating men and women is that you may have families and friends who like to sit together.

At one church in Sydney they actually have a sign up about dress code with a basic diagram of a male and female. Nothing too technichal just 2 pictures noting to wear shirts with sleves and longer skirts etc. They note also that it is a house of God. Not in your face or offensive just a simple and true little sign.

Wow, this is amusing and in a way disturbing as well. It reminds me of the Bible passage of the adultrous woman who was brought to Jesus and was about to be stoned to death for committing adultery (interesting that the man who also committed adultery was not brought up to be stoned to death as well). What was Jesus’ response? He said that the one who was free from sin be the first one to cast the stone and one after one beginning with the oldest they all dropped their stones and walked away (I’m paraphrasing here). Men are not animals and have a brain and self-control. How about you put that selft control into practice and also put good Christian charity into practice by praying for those women who you think are scandelously dressed? Maybe they don’t realize they are dressed in a provocative way. Women like to dress up and look pretty and attractive and people can be very judgmental, especially when they see a beautiful woman dressed nicely. I hope you will come to have a better understanding that God created us as sexual beings and that the female body is a beautiful thing and nothing to be ashamed of. If you can’t control your own thoughts then that is a problem that you have and that you need to address and not try to brush if off by pointing fingers and being judgmental and having them sit away from you (since you are so blameless).

I wanted to post that you should post a sign like one suggested here, about dressing appropriately in church, since modesty is a Catholic teaching. Catholic women should understand this, and yes men should control themselves but women as well should not dress in a manner to attract lust. It goes both ways. As for separating men and women, I don’t think people will see this as a solution. Also have the priest talk about modesty and point out, the sign in the back.
I just wanted to add we had a priest God bless him, who is no longer at our Parish because he got tired of women dressing like they were going clubbing,ie short skirts low cut tops, stiletto heels and he told them, and even pointed out directly the members that were dressed inappropriate. In that same day people were popping gum at church, and he announced that he was going to pass the collection plate around and everyone, who was popping gum, needed to put there gum in the collection plate. I loved his direct approach, but others(mostly the offended) didn’t appreciate his directness, he’s now at another Parish. I don’t think I would be this direct with your Parish but tell them openly, because these problems of scandalous dressing and disrespectful gum popping, is now few and far between.
Besides its disrespectful to come into Gods house flaunting your sinfulness! And to clarify, please sinners come to mass, I to am a sinner, but at least show respect for Gods house and dress appropriately.

[/quote]

actually, i think it's a pretty good idea. this is how many churches in Pakistan and India meet, women on one side, men on the other.

it does indeed cut down on distractions, and help people focus.

you're not shooing women away to a balcony or basement, just asking the men and women both to sit on different sides of the church.

that said, this does not help the modesty issue, which is something that needs to be addressed. church dress (and non-church dress) for a Christian woman should be modest, covering, and not a distraction. that means no boobs showing, no cleavage, no mini skirts, and preferably lose but comfortable clothing.

i really do like the Catholic standard of "ladies, please don't wear anything you couldn't see the Virgin Mother wearing", and this can be shared with the parish women, too.

church is a place to glorify God, not glorify yourself, or distract others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.