Church position on Catholics in a same sex relationship adopting a child

I know the Church’s position on same sex marriage, and I know the church’s position on same sex adoption, but I’m wondering as to the degree of severity of a Catholic willfully engaging in a committed unnatural relationship and then going so far as to adopt a child.

My associate and I have had discussions and he keeps coming back to “it’s not like I’m going to be excommunicated”. I’m not trying to be holier than thou, and I’m definitely not trying to use the “true scotsman” argument, but can a Catholic, who is making a permanent decision to be in an an unnatural relationship, and THEN bring a child into the picture, really call himself a Catholic?

I have fallen temptation many times to sins of the flesh, and while I can completely understand those who have had moments of weakness, it would seem that this is a sin that cannot be absolved, in the sense that there is no desire to repent.

God Bless Everyone

Anyone baptized in the Church can call themselves Catholic. But what many cannot do is call themselves FAITHFUL Practicing Catholics in communion with the Church and in a state of grace. I can. Perhaps you can, but the subject of the post, cannot. So, it is a gross misunderstanding of “excommunication” as a declaration, but they are excommunicating themselves from God and his Church. Pronounced or not, they are most certainly NOT (ex) in communion with the Church…

Whats a true scotsman,how is this relevant?

The true scotsman is "When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim (“no Scotsman would do such a thing”), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule (“no true Scotsman would do such a thing”

For example:

Person A: “No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.”
Person B: “But my uncle Angus likes sugar with his porridge.”
Person A: “Ah yes, but no TRUE Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.”

In this case it would seem:

If a true Catholic were to willingly continue in an unnatural same sex-relationship, and then go so far as to bring a child into the mix, is he a true Catholic?

I think it is often unnecessary (and usually counter-productive) to get into the practice of trying to determine whether so-and-so is really Catholic.

As Hoosier Daddy said, we are Catholic by virtue of our Baptism. But then we either put our faith into practice well or we do not. If we disregard the Church’s teaching and live lives in open contradiction to Catholic morals, then we are failing to live the Catholic faith well.

Unfortunately, too many Catholics think that, so long as they don’t get an official excommunication letter in the mail that is embossed with the papal seal, then they are doing just fine.

Speaking from Moral Theology etc: Those who struggle with SSA are like others live a chaste life. In their case that would include yes avoiding such relationships. Thus they too would avoid adopting a child with another person with SSA.

Rather they aim at the heights of holiness :thumbsup:

There is a huge difference between someone who is a practicing Catholic who occasionally (or even habitually) falls into sin vs. someone who is unrepentant and obstinately remains outside a state of grace.
[/quote]

Sounds great! Frequent confession is one of the single biggest things that helps me grow in my faith.

I don’t always feel great afterwards, but it helps me grow in strength and fortitude to stave off sin! To me it is an act of humility to go and helps me with the idea of being an obedient Catholic. Obedience is something that seems to be lacking in the world today…

But good for you! Keep it up!
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.