Church Question

Both my parents are catholic… I have only been to a catholic church a few times… My husband is non denominational. I would like to get involved with church. However, I have been told my children will not be accepted due to my husband not being catholic. Is this true?

I dont know a whole lot about the religion, or any religion for that matter. I find myself getting more and more interesed and wanting to get involved. Anyone care to help a new comer?

Thanks

Meandrog,

It is wonderful thing that you want to come back to the Church. Don’t let naysayers scare you away. Go talk to a priest on your own and ask. My husband is from a Catholic mom and Protestant dad and he got baptized catholic and all the sacraments. Me too!:wink:

If your marriage to your husband is the first marriage for both of you, there is absolutely nothing to stand in the way of your becoming Catholic. If either of you have been married before, there would be a need to regularize your marriage situation before you could be received in the Church. Your children would most certainly not be rejected because your husband is not Catholic.

Please visit a local parish and introduce yourself to the priest. It could be the beginning of a wonderful life of faith.

Betsy

WELCOME :wave: …How Blessed you are to hear God calling to you!! :slight_smile:

I am assuming that you were baptized ‘catholic’ but your parents were ‘non-practicing’ catholics and therefore you never received proper catechesis? … Did you recieve your first Holy Communion? From your post I am fairly certain you did not receive Confirmation …

Your local parish will welcome you … regardless of your situation … they will assist you in many ways as you walk your faith journey …

You may attand Mass [though probably should not attemtp to receive Communion until you speak in depth with the parish priest] and participate any most church functions or parish events [like bible studies, justice and peace out reach projects, attending guest speakers, spaghetti feeds, Family Advent Festival Night, etc] …

Are you interested in learning about your faith? Ask about adult catechesis … many parishes have un-catechised catholics join the RCIA [Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults] formation because they do not have the resources [Time - Catechists, etc] to offer a seperate program … After obtaining this catechesis on the faith you can decide if you want to complete your initiation [receive the Sacraments of Initiation that you have not yet received plus Reconcilliation] … Of course if your parent stopped practicing the faith before you were born - and you were not baptized then RCIA is the process by which you would receive catechesis on the Catholic faith and then [if you desire] would be the process by which you would come to Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist [Communion] …

:wave:WELCOME AGAIN … :gopray: May God Bless your journey and May you answer His call :thumbsup:

Yada:
Thanks so much for the reply.

I am kinda lost with it though. RCIA? I want to know all these things but I dont. My parents did not practice after I was born. My parents moved to a very small town in NC when my mother was 9 months pregnant with me, and there were no catholic churches around at that time, is the story I got. However, that is no excuse now. The good news is… my mother is wanting to go with me to the church.

I have not been to chruch in over 15 years. I am ready to go back. I am ready for my children to go. I want this. I just know nothing about the religion or where to start. Im lost.

Have you been baptized in the Catholic Church? Have you had your First Communion, or been Confirmed? If not, you will want to enroll in RCIA to become a full member of the church. There is no obligation if you remain unsure… RCIA is a class that will teach you about the faith. No one will pressure you to become Catholic, although this is the route that you would go through to do so.

In lieu of RCIA, might I recommend the excellent book “Catholicism for Dummies”, which will teach you all of the fundamentals of the faith in a very straightforward and easy-to-read manner. It is thorough, without being overwhelming. (As an aside, do NOT get the similarly named “Idiot’s Guide to Catholicism”, which has several factual errors and is considered to be so liberal as to be almost heretical.)

If you have difficult questions, we are here for you as a resource, or you can turn to the ultimate source, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which is a compendium of EVERYTHING the church teaches, in extreme detail. It is available here:

vatican.va/archive/ccc/index.htm

Hello! I just wanted to welcome you (to the boards here and back to the Church). I was pretty much away from the Church for about 10 years. I’ll keep you in my prayers, that you can find a good and kind priest to help you and your family.

God bless! :slight_smile:

R.C.I.A. = R [Rite] of C [Christian] I [Initiation] of A [Adults]

For those who are unbaptized the RCIA is the formation through which they formally enter into the Christian Faith … you would join this group to inquire about formally becoming Catholic … If you have been baptized already, this may still be the group your parish might have you join in order to complete the Sacraments of Initiation …

You can join a parish and just attend for a time before discussing any formalization of membership with the parish … we WELCOME ALL …

Your mother can renew her participation in the Sacramental Life of the Church by meeting with the Priest and receiving the Sacrament of Reconcilliation [Confession] … We [the Church] are awaiting her return … [you might read the parable of the prodigal son in Luke 11:15-32] …

Your children can attend the Religious Education classs [called RE for short in many parishes or Catechism Classes … referred to as CCD - old school :wink: … ]

Good Luck, call your local parish and make an appointment to meet with the Priest, Pastoral Associate, Director of Religious Formation etc … they are there to assist you and answer your specific questions … :thumbsup:

Welcome Home! Your first step would be to find a church that you feel comfortable in attending every week for Mass. You can look up Catholic churches in your phone book or even ask around the the neighborhood (or work). Catholic parishes have their own personalities so you might have to try a few before you find one that fits. Once you have found the parish, you can call the parish office and ask about attending their RCIA classes. The RCIA team members are expirenced in assisting new comers, and they will be happy to help and answer all your questions. When you attend Mass for the first time, you might be more comfortable going with a practicing Catholic, to walk you through it. That is not necessary however, feel free to attend by yourself. Good Luck! And let us know how you are doing. BTW your children will be 100% accepted, no matter what religion their father practices, or not. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.