Church refers

I know the Church refers to these books as scripture as defined in the council of Trent. Do we only see these words around the time of the Reformation(revolution)? Anyone know of the history of these words and perhaps a good book to read about it?

Welcome to CAF! I think something is missing from your post. What words are you asking about?

Your question is unclear as to what you are talking about. I’m going to go way out on a limb and guess that you are asking about the Canon of Scripture and which letters/books are considered Scripture? If so, that was first defined in the late 4th century. You can read more than you ever wanted to on the Canon here:

Old Testament - newadvent.org/cathen/03267a.htm
New Testament - newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm

As others have said, not sure what the question is.

But if you want to know about the formation of the canon, it was first declared in 382AD by Pope Damasus. I think Jerome completed the Latin Vulgate in like 405AD. Same books as today, BTW. Trent just reaffirmed what already existed and officially closed the canon.

And BTW, after the Vulgate was compiled the major canon disputes were over. The reason Trent had to make it official is in response to Luther’s reformation and different canon he had.

St Peter seems to refer to the New Testament letters of St Paul as Scripture:
So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. (2 Peter 3:15b-16)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.