church renovation

I came across this site which has tons of old church items. Crucifixes, tabernacles, monstrances, etc. It’s sad to see all these things being torn out of churches…

usedchurchitems.com/

But aren’t they re-selling them to churches to be used again?

I’m glad there’s a place like this that’s rescuing these items so they can be bought and preserved by people who will reverently re-use them.

I think we’ve all heard horror stories about high altars, statues, etc. being hauled off to the landfill, all in the “spirit of Vatican II.” :rolleyes:

Beautiful items on that site.

I’ve heard of evangelical protestants buying these used Catholic items to serve as “examples” of errors in the Catholic Faith. Hopefully, this site only sells to Catholic clergy. I noticed they mention “This Site Intended For Clergy Only.” on their website.

Yes they do resell these items to be used again in other churches of all denominations. You just have to visit their warehouse in Pennsylvania.

[quote=Mt19:26]I’ve heard of evangelical protestants buying these used Catholic items to serve as “examples” of errors in the Catholic Faith. Hopefully, this site only sells to Catholic clergy. I noticed they mention “This Site Intended For Clergy Only.” on their website.
[/quote]

Hmmmmm…seems like an awful lot of trouble and expense when they could just download some pics from the 'net. But who knows if logic ever enters the mind of a protestant when they are debating these things. Prolly not. If logic was part of their mental deliberations, they wouldn’t be protestant for very long. :nope:

[quote=Mt19:26]I came across this site which has tons of old church items. Crucifixes, tabernacles, monstrances, etc. It’s sad to see all these things being torn out of churches…

usedchurchitems.com/
[/quote]

Sad, brings back many memories of the glorious artifacts that used to be common place in all Catholic churches prior to 1960. Such pride and devotion to make such items and look at the prices that they ask for. I hope that the Dioceses are getting a fair value, because in todays world these items are irreplaceable. Thank God we still have the Vatican.

Fogny

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Hmmmmm…seems like an awful lot of trouble and expense when they could just download some pics from the 'net. But who knows if logic ever enters the mind of a protestant when they are debating these things. Prolly not. If logic was part of their mental deliberations, they wouldn’t be protestant for very long. :nope:
[/quote]

I think you might have misunderstood my post. :slight_smile: I didn’t mean to say that the site was run by protestants who wanted to use it as an example of the ‘errors’ of the Catholic Church. What I meant was protestants have been known to use these items up for sale as an opportunity to get their hands on Catholic items which they then use to back up their false claims.

Is it sacrilegious to purchase these items if they have been blessed?

[quote=Mt19:26]I think you might have misunderstood my post. :slight_smile: I didn’t mean to say that the site was run by protestants who wanted to use it as an example of the ‘errors’ of the Catholic Church. What I meant was protestants have been known to use these items up for sale as an opportunity to get their hands on Catholic items which they then use to back up their false claims.
[/quote]

No, I understood. :tiphat: What I meant was it seems like an awful lot of trouble and expense for a protestant minister to buy one of these items when they could just download pictures. Why would you want to buy a statue of the Blessed Mother, for example, when you could just show a picture? I’m sure those things aren’t cheap.

Of course, judging by some of these Fundy super churches I’ve seen lately in my area, they aren’t exactly hurting for money. :nope:

Haha…yeah I know what you mean. My sister converted and became a Fundy and her “pastor” drives up in a limoscene.

[quote=Mt19:26]Is it sacrilegious to purchase these items if they have been blessed?
[/quote]

Not if you sell the item at the items value regardless of the blessing. For example if you sold a $500 vase for $1000 because it was blessed that would be the sin of simony, but if you sold the $500 vase for $500 because that is what it’s value is then that is ok.

Near as I can tell according to Roman canons, and this answer here… forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=50661

I wish my parish would shop here…we use a cheap glass goblet for a chalice and I’m not sure we even have a monstrance…sigh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.