Church Sponsor

Hi all!

I hope I posted this in the right section. I am in Rcia and unbaptized. I had a lot of Catholic friends but none practicing. Well, except one but she literally moved to the other side of the country 2 weeks before Rcia started. Anyway, because of this, I was assigned a sponsor by the rcia team. I have afew questions about this.

1) When I am baptised, will this person be considered my godparent?
2) If so, If I meet another Good Catholic whome I think I would rather have as my Godparent, can I ask this person to be my godparent?
3) Do godparents have to be older than their godson/goddaughter? (My sponsor is actually younger than me)

I ask all these questions because I have not even talked to my sponsor more than 2 or 3 times since they were assigned to me. It botheres me alittle because I instantly felt love for this person when I knew they would be my sponsor. It bothers me alittle when I think than someone who would be considered my godparent will only be so in name only. No other relationship between us. Like I said, the only other practicing Catholic I talked to moved far away. Part of me just says "You are a adult, so what if your godparent and you dont even talk?" The other part wants a friendship with my sponsor. My sponsor is a female too. I am in my late 20s and I think she is in her early 20s. Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated. Thank you :)

I think that the term godparent is only used for children’s baptisms. Adults have sponsors. You can frequently pick your own sponsor, with the approval of your pastor, if your current sponsor is not communicative enough. You should be working hard on making Catholic friends. Look for older Catholics knowledgeable about their faith, perhaps those who have successfully raised children to adulthood in the faith.

[quote="LaughingBoy1503, post:1, topic:308690"]
1) When I am baptised, will this person be considered my godparent?

[/quote]

The person who stands with you at the Rite of Election and through the sacraments of initiation is your godparent. The person who guides you through the catechumenate is your sponsor. They may or may not be the same person.

The sponsor's role is during the catechumenate. The godparent's role is for the rest of your life.

At the time of the Rite of Election you can choose someone else if you like. Personally I think it's nice if it's the same person since they've already been through a lot with you and have supported you for a year or more, but you can make a change.

2) If so, If I meet another Good Catholic whome I think I would rather have as my Godparent, can I ask this person to be my godparent?

Yes. Talk with your RCIA team for any details.

3) Do godparents have to be older than their godson/goddaughter? (My sponsor is actually younger than me)

No. The canonical requirements are that the person is over the age of 16, fully initiated (baptism, confirmation, eucharist), and be in good standing with the Church (practicing Catholic; if married, then married in the Church).

I ask all these questions because I have not even talked to my sponsor more than 2 or 3 times since they were assigned to me.

Ideally there is an ongoing relationship. While I hope the sponsor reaches out to the catechumen, perhaps your sponsor is afraid of bothering you or being in the way. Maybe you'd like to try inviting her/him for coffee or something to get better acquainted.

[quote="PaulfromIowa, post:2, topic:308690"]
I think that the term godparent is only used for children's baptisms. Adults have sponsors.

[/quote]

Starting at the Rite of Election, adults also have godparents. In the rite, the bishop addresses "godparents" not "sponsors."

LaughingBoy1503, Thank you for your question. I want you to know that your question is in fact the reason why I have joined this forum. I’ve joined the forum today and this is my first question. I’ve had this same predicament for quite some time and have asked but the only answer I get is that it’s in the Canon Law. This issue is of particular interest to me because I am a practicing Catholic. Could someone please cite the Code of Canon Law section and/or the section of the Catechism of the Catholic Church where the "requirements for sponsors/Godparents" are stated, in particular the requirements for Baptism sponsors/Godparents?

I’d really appreciate it if someone could copy and paste those sections here. Thank you.

[quote="PaulfromIowa, post:2, topic:308690"]
I think that the term godparent is only used for children's baptisms. Adults have sponsors. You can frequently pick your own sponsor, with the approval of your pastor, if your current sponsor is not communicative enough. You should be working hard on making Catholic friends. Look for older Catholics knowledgeable about their faith, perhaps those who have successfully raised children to adulthood in the faith.

[/quote]

Your first statement is incorrect. Unbaptized RCIA participants (catechumens), even adults, have godparents; baptized participants (candidates) have sponsors.

[quote="yagrumo, post:4, topic:308690"]
LaughingBoy1503, Thank you for your question. I want you to know that your question is in fact the reason why I have joined this forum. I’ve joined the forum today and this is my first question. I’ve had this same predicament for quite some time and have asked but the only answer I get is that it’s in the Canon Law. This issue is of particular interest to me because I am a practicing Catholic. Could someone please cite the Code of Canon Law section and/or the section of the Catechism of the Catholic Church where the "requirements for sponsors/Godparents" are stated, in particular the requirements for Baptism sponsors/Godparents?

I’d really appreciate it if someone could copy and paste those sections here. Thank you.

[/quote]

Here you go:

Can. 872 Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.
Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.
Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:
1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;
2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;
3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.