Church Sues Iowa Over Transgender Bathroom Law

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A church in Des Moines has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to strike down as unconstitutional a portion of a 2007 Iowa law and a similar Des Moines city code section that could apply transgender bathroom rules to churches.

nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/church-sues-iowa-stop-application-transgender-rules-n604161

The local newspaper has a much longer article about the lawsuit. In particular, it notes:

[quote=Des Moines Register]The Fort Des Moines Church of Christ is represented by Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative nonprofit group based in Scottsdale, Ariz. The plaintiffs said the lawsuit is known in legal circles as a “pre-enforcement challenge,” a lawsuit that allows citizens to challenge a law — in this case a law that they believe threatens First Amendment freedoms — before the government enforces it against them. Organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union and Planned Parenthood have filed such lawsuits against laws they oppose, the plaintiffs said.
[/quote]

desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/05/church-sues-state-iowa-over-transgender-bathroom-rules/86700392/

This seems to be a challenge based upon principle. I can’t imagine any transgender person belonging to the church, given its teachings.

[quote=NBC News]The church says it teaches that “maleness or femaleness is designed by God and is tied to biology, chromosomes, physiology, and anatomy.”
[/quote]

If a transgender person belonged to the church, he or she would either accept or reject that teaching. If he or she rejected the teaching, and wanted to use the other bathroom, couldn’t the church simply de-fellowship that person? Of course, that tactic would work only if the church building were restricted to vetted members of that church.

I get the impression its not so much the restroom they want to keep the transgender individual from, but the church.

From what I understand, they are even trying to restrict what churches are allowed to preach on the issue as well.

This law certainly has chilling implications for churches and freedom of religion in that area, but this lawsuit will get dismissed for lack of standing. Someone would actually have to sue the church or the authorities would have to take action against them for a judge to rule on the merits of the case. Either way this gives you a preview of where things are heading in this country in terms of persecuting those who hold religious beliefs contrary to the liberal agenda.

Well we can definitely see where things are heading…and not in a good direction.

I hope that they win their lawsuit. We need to defeat the LGBT agenda.

Last I checked, I don’t need my Certified Catholic Membership Card[sup]®[/sup] to enter my local parish; in fact, the only church I can think of that does that is the LDS with their Temples. This qualifies as a relevant defense mechanism to protect their members from scandal.

I was born in Iowa. I’m not sure what to say.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.