Church teachings I struggle to agree with

Here is current church teaching on the death penalty:

CCC2267:
Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, **the ****traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death **penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.
If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity “are very rare, if not practically non-existent.”

The peace of Christ,
Mark

Church teaching and your faith are not relevant to how you vote or what political positions you hold? They don’t inform your thought at all? They don’t inform how you live at all? They don’t inform how you think a just society should be formed at all? What role does your faith play in your thought and how you live?

The peace of Christ,
Mark

I just read this article and thought of this thread. breitbart.com/london/2016/11/02/pope-francis-warns-nations-not-take-refugees-can-assimilate/ Reading that article with some newer comments by the Pope regarding the refugee crisis might help the op regarding the question of what the Church teaches. The teachings allow great deal of room for prudential judgement. We can recognize the need to welcome others with an open heart and balance that out with prudential judgement of how many we can welcome.

When I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be yet another NFP and family size thread. It wasn’t.:slight_smile: However, in this matter of welcoming others, this matter is somewhat similar. The Church teaches we need to be open to welcoming others, but the Church teachings don’t give us an exact number of people we need to welcome. That is left to prudential judgement and circumstances which vary. There are some guidelines, but faithful Catholics can come to different conclusions based on their circumstances and personal judgement of the matters.

I’m glad that the Pope very recently clarified his earlier statements in matters of immigration and refugees. I hope that after reading that article the op is able to accept this teaching now that the pope has clarified his previous statements a bit. It’s really very difficult when this Pope speaks to separate out his personal opinions from Church teachings, but the Pope often expresses his personal opinion where faithful Catholics using prudential judgement can come to different opinions while remaining within the folds of Church teachings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.