Church vandalism

Purposely doing property damage is just plain wrong and often done by immature people.

google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=church+vandalism+protestant++catholic&sa=N&tab=nw

It appears to be an opinion that church vandalism is only aganist catholic churches by fundamentalist christians. In searching google it is clear that both protestant and catholic churches are vandalised. Do we know in every case whom did the damage and why?

news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=violence%20against%20christians&spell=1&sa=N&tab=wn

There is too much violence against chrisitans.

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=fundamentalist+smashing+statues

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=fundamentalist+smashing+statues+catholic

I don’t know why this happens.
I live in Miami, and we have a church called THE CHURCH OF THE LITTLE FLOWER in Coral Gables, and several years back some nutjob broke into the church and smashed all the statues scattered around in the Church cuz he said they were “idols.”

Jaypeeto3

[quote=Daniel Marsh]Purposely doing property damage is just plain wrong and often done by immature people.

google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=church+vandalism+protestant++catholic&sa=N&tab=nw

It appears to be an opinion that church vandalism is only aganist catholic churches by fundamentalist christians. In searching google it is clear that both protestant and catholic churches are vandalised. Do we know in every case whom did the damage and why?

news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=violence%20against%20christians&spell=1&sa=N&tab=wn

There is too much violence against chrisitans.

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=fundamentalist+smashing+statues

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=fundamentalist+smashing+statues+catholic
[/quote]

I agree that they happen to all churches. We have a local luthern church here that always has a pumkin patch in fall and this last year a few kids came by at night and threw a few of the pumkins through the stained glass windows.

it is just sad. I think it is just a few people who just aren’t thinking things throughly.

I belong to a parish in So. Cal.
In the last few years we have had a statue of our Patron Saint ripped off of its stand and stolen, our school windows bashed in, a statue of the Blessed Mother defaced with a hammer and the crown atop the Tabernacle stolen.
NONE of these events ever made the news.

If it had been a Synagogue or a Mosque, you can bet that it would have made the top story on the 6:00 news.

When I start to feel frustrated and angry about this, I think of what our dear Lord said in** Matt. 5:11-12:**

***"Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. *Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is Ignorance of Christ.” - St. Jerome

[quote=Jaypeeto3]I don’t know why this happens.
I live in Miami, and we have a church called THE CHURCH OF THE LITTLE FLOWER in Coral Gables, and several years back some nutjob broke into the church and smashed all the statues scattered around in the Church cuz he said they were “idols.”

Jaypeeto3
[/quote]

It’s in Hollywood and the altar area was set on fire in February, 1980.

I’m referring to the Church of the Little Flower in Coral Gables, right across from the old Biltmore Hotel and Country Club.
It was vandalized later than 1980. It’s not in Hollywood. :slight_smile:

Speaking of attacks on churches, it is reported today (Friday, February 3rd) that 5 churches in Alabama (Baptist) have been burned to the ground by arsonists in one night - last night. This is disgusting.

Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)

[quote=Jaypeeto4]I’m referring to the Church of the Little Flower in Coral Gables, right across from the old Biltmore Hotel and Country Club.
It was vandalized later than 1980. It’s not in Hollywood. :slight_smile:

Speaking of attacks on churches, it is reported today (Friday, February 3rd) that 5 churches in Alabama (Baptist) have been burned to the ground by arsonists in one night - last night. This is disgusting.

Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)
[/quote]

I stand corrected.:slight_smile: I’m saddened (but not shocked) that this happened in Coral Gables, too. The vandals really did a number on the Little Flower in Hollywood. I don’t think they ever caught those who set the blaze. The 75th anniversary book (1999) of Hollywood’s Little Flower had a piece on the event and they had pictures of the firemen standing amid the charred ruin.

I live in Australia, and as some of you might know there are certain groups of Aboriginal youth that run riot, especially in a country community such as the one I used to live in. These groups seem to have NO morals, burglaries, bashings, and vandalism is ramped among such groups.

However despite this there has never been (as far as I know) an act of vandalism or disrespect against the local Catholic Church. In my opinion this is because a Catholic education was given to all Aboriginal children on the missions up until recently. It’s really quite amazing, the local Church is probably the only building in town that has not been targeted at some point, and this includes the numerous protestant churches.

Anyway, that’s just my two cents :smiley:

I believe that this might be inspired by the fairly recent trend of the High Priests of the media-entertainment-political-complex to use “fundamentalist” as a vulgarity to be spit at anybody who is guided by their faith rather than the High Priests of the MEPC. Example: Some Jews were foolish enough to criticize Steve Speilberg’s movie “Munich.” & the way he depicted the terorists. Speilberg called those foolish Jews “fundamentalists.” So the easily pursuaded among us assume it is open season on the fundies.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]Purposely doing property damage is just plain wrong and often done by immature people.
[/quote]

Often?

[quote=Daniel Marsh]There is too much violence against chrisitans.
[/quote]

There is too much violence, period.

“Often?”

I was just trying to be nice in case some can prove insanity.

In addition to immaturity and insanity, toss in a double dose of plain old evil.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.