Churches

I know this might seem to be silly questions to you all but as time has gone by I am finding a strong urge to go to local churches in the area of my travels (work) to find peace within my day. I hesitate because I am not sure what I should or shouldn’t do when I enter the church. Am I allowed to go into the church even though I am not Catholic? Are there any restrictions or times I should or shouldn’t go? Is there anything special I must do within the church while I find try to find peace within my day with God?

There are no restrictions on anyone entering a church, Catholic or not. You might look up the parish ahead of time, at www.masstimes.org, and call them to find out if the church is open at all times. Ours is not open all the time, due to crime. The chapel is open 24/7 but you have to know the combination to unlock the door-- which you can get from the office. There are usually daily masses that are scheduled.

The Church welcomes everyone-- go ahead and visit these churches.

All Catholic Churches that have the Eucharist reserved in a tabernacle are required to be open for some time during each day. During these times anyone can enter to pray. Just remember in a Catholic Church you are never alone, even if it seems that you are the only person there!

Why would you not go!!

Great of you to ask though, so now you don’t have to feel weird about going in. There’s no better place to pray or just find some peace.

JPII also speaks of Marian Shrines as being great places to take a break and collect yourself.

You are welcome to come into any church. There are no rules that say you have to do anything or that you have to be Catholic or anything.

[quote=Iwesshome]I know this might seem to be silly questions to you all but as time has gone by I am finding a strong urge to go to local churches in the area of my travels (work) to find peace within my day. I hesitate because I am not sure what I should or shouldn’t do when I enter the church. Am I allowed to go into the church even though I am not Catholic? Are there any restrictions or times I should or shouldn’t go? Is there anything special I must do within the church while I find try to find peace within my day with God?
[/quote]

Don’t worry. When you are there just try to be reverent and you should be fine.

As long as you don’t take communion, you are more than welcome to go to mass.

Scott

[quote=Iwesshome]I know this might seem to be silly questions to you all but as time has gone by I am finding a strong urge to go to local churches in the area of my travels (work) to find peace within my day. I hesitate because I am not sure what I should or shouldn’t do when I enter the church. Am I allowed to go into the church even though I am not Catholic?
[/quote]

Absolutely, come on in.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.