Churches

Are non-denominational churches just another word for Baptist church.
The non-denominational churches I know of all have a Baptist preacher from another Baptist church

It varies. My observation, like your own, seems to indicate a strong leaning toward baptist theology. But there are ND churches that are closer to pentecostal, evangelical-free, etc…

I think they are, based on what I’ve seen, which is by no means comprehensive. When I was a Protestant “floater” I visited some ND groups, and even belonged to a small home church for a few months that had grown out of a bible study. It broke apart over disagreements about the meaning of baptism. Soon after that, I looked to Rome.

There are variations among Baptists. Some Baptists are not as rightwing/fundamentalist/evangelical as the SBC. In my hometown in Texas there is a small wooden church called St. Mary’s Baptist Church. I’ve never been inside it, and have no idea what it is about, but with a name like that it certainly couldn’t be typical.

It’s probably African-American. In my experience black Baptists are less allergic to that sort of thing than white Baptists. I remember black Baptist churches named after saints back in Durham NC.

Edwin

It’s probably African-Am

My non-denom church’s doctrinal beliefs are identical to the southern baptist church I went to.:smiley:

Those are just two churches close to each other in geography.

I’d put good money that most “non-denominational” churches in Australia are actually members of the assembly of god… and therefore extremist pentecostal.

There is no such thing as a non-denominational church, just like there is no such thing as a Hollywood movie which doesn’t fit into some sort of film genre.

No non-denominational church I ever attended was remotely Baptist. They are called non-denominational because they believe denominational divisions are wrong. Other main non-denominational church beliefs are usually the basics to still be called Christian. They are all so different because the preachers obviously preach on subjects besides those basics, slanting it toward what he believes.

Interesting. Thank you.

Unitarians so far as I am aware, are not. But they are not Baptist either. They are probably about as far away from Baptist’s as they are from Catholics

non-denom mega churches are becoming a Texas industry. in my experience the preachers often are Assemblies of God or other pentecostal religions in fact. Others come from bible colleges that are non-denom, and the only similarity to baptists are that they are not ordained, but called to ministry. some have come from baptist schools, but have let go of a lot of the “rules” that bind So. Baptists. (anybody who thinks Catholics have a lot of rules should get to know some real old fashioned Baptists).

I attended a non-denominational church for many years. I can’t say they were remeniscent of any other group. In the past, they were a thorn in the side of the local Catholic community as they used to be fundamentalists and staunch opponents of everything Catholic, but now they are leaning more towards Evangelicalism. I was never taught specific doctrines, so I always felt free to believe whatever I wanted to, so long as I believed that Jesus is my Saviour, I could believe in the Assumption of Mary if I wanted to. That is what non-denom. churches are supposed to be: Churches with no ties to particular denominations, where all may gather and worship collectively.

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:cool:

The advent of the TV preachers must be an awful big factor in the growth of these mega churches. I grew up in Austin. Seems like every time I go back down there, more of these glitzy mega churches have sprung up, seemingly in what formerly were farmlands. Lots of smaller metal building independent churches, too. You’re right, TX seems to be the HQ for this movement, whatever it is. I wonder if it will still be the fad 30 years from now. Or will those enormous megachurch buildings be warehouses, or maybe even Catholic churches. It is hard to imagine them outliving their shiny-haired pastors.

I think you’re right. Back in 1985 I went to a Protestant version of Cursillo, called Tres Dias, in New York. The weekend was held in a Catholic facility of Oblates of Mary Immaculate, and my being there was the very first time I’d ever been close to any Catholic building. Tres Dias is modeled very closely to Cursillo, but has certain Protestant differences. It is pan Protestant. Given that they used a Catholic facility for the activities, there was always a sort of Catholic flavor to things, and I can say that this helped me years later as I followed one of the many roads to Rome.

At gatherings, people of all faiths are able to be together and have praise and worship without being aware too much of the doctrinal things that divide. That is pretty cool.

However, it always seemed to me that many people who had a “testimony” about the “wrongness” of being overly Catholic, had reasons other than that for being in a non-denom group. I don’t have enough direct experience to be able to say with authority that this is widespread, but I suspect that it is. A version of the cafeteria Catholic phenomenon in which people pick and choose which doctrines they will follow. People who divorce and are loathe to go through an annulment, and who are not very convinced that the Catholic version of history and faith is the only valid one, are more likely to float over to one of these non-demanding non-denom groups.

I can certainly relate to the pain of being divorced and denied the Eucharist because I couldn’t bring myself to obey, as I have been like this myself. It’s a tough situation. I considered going non-denom briefly from time to time, but I could never be happy knowing that I was disobeying God’s commandments. Better to be celebate. I wish I could relate the depth of learning that God is providing because I’ve chosen to submit and obey rather than go floating off to a reflection of His Church. I’ve lost nothing, but rather gained everything.

a parishioner visited a huge mega-satellite dish church in Dallas, one that is very famous, guy has his own cable network I think, or is on TV all the time, name escapes me, not Vineyard but similar.

parishioner was with his non-denom family (he came in through RCIA 3 yrs ago over their heated objections) on a regular Sunday. He brought me pictures (which they sell in the lobby, along with all kinds of other souvenirs, prayer handkerchiefs, blessed objects etc.)

what we would call the sanctuary is a raised stage with several steps, enormous, bigger than Notre Dame Cathedral, entirely covered in red plush carpet. There are banks of ornate chairs for the various pastors (main, youth, senior etc.) and deacons. The main preacher, the TV guy, has this golden throne that would make Benedict 16’s trappings look like something from walmart. He has no lectern or ambo, but preaches walking around, ranting waving and shouting. He even reads the text from the bible that way.

No altar, no cross, no candles, no banner of the risen Christ, no Christian symbol at all (but there are full size photos of the various pastors, also in the back photos of celebrities who have visited the church for a photo-op with the preacher).
Just a row of men in suits

music was full orchestra, rock variety, but they also had a big electronic organ-synthesizer thing. music was calculated to raise emotions, and the show-stopper of course was just before the collection. (there were Brinks guards in the back who followed the ushers who carried the collection baskets someplace to be counted).

Now here is the kicker–the “sermon” was one long rant against Catholics, the way they disrespect the scripture (did I mention you could buy his own version of the bible in the giftstore gold stamped with his likeness and autograph?). The way they sell blessings and indulgences, and believe in superstitions and healings and visions of Mary, but don’t believe the Word of God. The way the Church is so rich in material wealth but does not feed the poor, and the Pope lives in the lap of luxury while people starve on Roman streets. About how we put the words of men over the word of God and follow the teachings of the anti-christ (all the popes of history have been evil and sinful men, you know).

Oh, and we worship saints and Mary, which you can prove by looking at the statues and icons in any Catholic church.

Yes, anti-Catholicism is the meat and potatoes of all the sects and cults, isn’t it?

This is the single thing they ALL have in common. I wonder if any of these cultists have ever noticed this. Often, anti-Catholicism is the ONLY thing they’ve got in common. The JW and Mormon missionaries may avoid each other on the street, but they could sure sit down over a cold beer and tell stories about that ol’ debil, the Pope.

The sweaty screamers you mention are not much different. It is all entertainment and emotion. The cult of personality. When the personality dies, or goes to jail for ripping off the tithers, the church will empty out and all those poor souls will run on to the next fad.

I sure am glad our Catholic Church remains so fashionable no matter what styles come and go.

But how could he say that Catholics have graven images if he is selling a Bible with his image and autograph? Isn’t that a graven image?:whacky:

Lak 611

But how could he say that Catholics have graven images if he is selling a Bible with his image and autograph? Isn’t that a graven image?

It appears they are a bit selective about their definitions of graven images. It seems ok to use graven images for any other use but if they are of Catholic origin then they are definitly of the undersirable sort :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.