Churchh teachng about what Catholics may read?

Does the Church have rules about we may read? I don't want opinions, just church teaching.
I'm asking this because I remember reading an aplogetic answer by Michelle Arnold,saying that catholics are not permitted to read books that involve doing magical acts that can be done in real life, but we are allowed to read books that only involve fantasy magic. Is this church teaching? If this is the case, would it be permisable to read these books, if I skip the parts where the characters do the acts (such as divination, or conjuring the dead)? I am talking specifically about the beautiful creatures series, in case anyone wants context.

The Church leaves it to the common sense of the individual. If you realize that a certain type of book may present problems to you, then you should avoid it.

[quote="LoveGod102, post:1, topic:324917"]
Does the Church have rules about we may read? I don't want opinions, just church teaching.
I'm asking this because I remember reading an aplogetic answer by Michelle Arnold,saying that catholics are not permitted to read books that involve doing magical acts that can be done in real life, but we are allowed to read books that only involve fantasy magic. Is this church teaching? If this is the case, would it be permisable to read these books, if I skip the parts where the characters do the acts (such as divination, or conjuring the dead)? I am talking specifically about the beautiful creatures series, in case anyone wants context.

[/quote]

I never said that Catholics are not permitted to read books—by which I assume you mean novels—with occult magic. At most I would have said that I cannot recommend it. I agree with Timothysis's comment:

[quote="Timothysis, post:2, topic:324917"]
The Church leaves it to the common sense of the individual. If you realize that a certain type of book may present problems to you, then you should avoid it.

[/quote]

[quote="Michelle_Arnold, post:3, topic:324917"]
I never said that Catholics are not permitted to read books—by which I assume you mean novels—with occult magic. At most I would have said that I cannot recommend it. I agree with Timothysis's comment:

[/quote]

I must have remembered wrong, as I checked last night and could not find the post. Wierd, because I can very clearly remember reading it. I'm sorry for mistakingly saying that you said somethng you didn't.

Well, it's a relief to know that I may continue with my book.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.