Church's Billboard affirm gay love [Metropolitan Community Church]

Church’s Billboard affirm gay love

nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Churchs-Billboards-Affirm-Gay-Love-58116877.html

whywouldwe.org/

Each billboard asks the reader, “Would Jesus discriminate?”

By the way, 8:5-13- Matthew is about the faith of the Centurion

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+8%3A5-13&version=NIV

How anyone can take those biblical quotations as affirming homosexuality is beyond me.

Any chance of a poster based on Genesis 19??

I recommend contacting the writer of the article and pointing out the real circumstances of Jesus healing someone, but not affirming anything gay.

Peace,
Ed

gaychristian101.com/Gay-Centurion.html

Jesus did not affirm a relationship between two men, He healed one. That’s all.

Peace,
Ed

Catholics make much of the translation of certain words like “petra” and “kepha”…and seek to drive home the nuances of these words to provide credibility for the papacy. Or the word for “cousin” and “brother” to bolster their claim of Mary’s viginity and that Jesus was her only child.

It would seem to me to ignore the nuance of the word “pais”, which was used for centuries among those who spoke Greek to identify a same sex relationship would be strange in light of how much they put in store on the translation of certain words…the nuances of the word used by “Matthew” and “Luke” would seem to be as credible as the nuances of “petra” or “kepha”.

Word translation is not the issue. As for the woman who was about to be legally stoned to death for adultery, Jesus intervened and told her, “Go and sin no more.” He did not affirm her action.

Peace,
Ed

There is also the small matter that Jews at that time were very against homosexuality. It was very much a part of the Greek life-style against which the Macabees rejected. Why the idea of a gymnasium in Jerusalem, because of male nudity practiced there. was considered to be an abomination. But Jews had always rejected homosexuality because it was related to temple prostitution and was a form of idolatry. If Jesus rejected this point of view, he certainly didn’t say so. Indeed, it can be argued that his message of the relative equality of man and wife is antithetical to the Greek view, which elevated pederasty and diminished the mother’s influence over her sons.

Exactly. Regardless of whether pais meant servant or homosexual lover, Jesus didn’t affirm anything…he healed the person due to the faith of the Centurion. :shrug:

He healed the gay partner of the centurian who had faith…seems Jesus would have used this opportunity to correct the centurian instead of praise his faith if it would have been an issue.

The question was asked how could anyone get the idea this was a gay relationship…I think that question was answered.

What did Jesus do on earth? Among other things, to call sinners to repentance. He did not confirm people in their sin. It was their faith and willingness to be healed that healed them.

Also, the God of the Old Testament is the God of the New Testament. Jesus tells us that Moses wrote concerning Him.

Peace,
Ed

Absence of correction does not equal affirmation. That is poor logic. Jesus could also have taken the opportunity to directly affirm their relationship, but He didn’t do that either. By your same logic, he therefore did not approve of their relationship.

Or, perhaps “servant” was the correct meaning of the usage of pais, in which case there was no affirmation or condemnation intended because there was no need for one.

[quote=Publisher]The question was asked how could anyone get the idea this was a gay relationship…I think that question was answered.
[/quote]

Did I take exception to your response? :shrug:

Friend Robert,

No, I don’t think I indicated you did take exception.:shrug:

I hope these bill boards spread through out the nation. I would love to see them along Interstate 5 here in Oregon. I think they do much in affirming our gay brothers and sisters in Christ.

I would prefer billboards that give witness to the Truth and call people to repent and be saved.

You need to take into account the fact that this word, παῖς, was also used in Acts 3:13 and Acts 3:26, referring to Jesus as the Son of God, which has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality. It merely means a servant, or in some contexts, son, who is dear. Even if παῖς did refer to a bedfellow, it would not mean that Jesus is condoning homosexuality. Jesus often did good for sinners. He had been accused of eating and drinking with tax collectors and prostitutes. He would love them while simultaneously not approving their wicked behavior. Jesus said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick…For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”(Matthew 9:12-13) Even Jesus’ closest female disciple, Mary Magdalene, was believed to be a former prostitute, and had seven demons cast out of her by Jesus.

Anyone who thinks it grants approval of homosexual relationships needs to read Romans 1. Telling gays, or anyone, that it’s okay to sin is not loving at all, you should be trying to save them.

Thankfully religious institutions are not able to inhibit the exercise of other’s religious beliefs and expression…MCC does not embrace your beliefs…gratefully they are able to exercise their religious views on billboards, just as many fundamentalist/evangelical church groups display “Repent” or “The End is Near” billboards.

This website is absolutely ridiculous.

And it undercuts itself several times - this been a choice example:-

As we begin our study of this true story about a gay Centurion, from Matthew 8:5-13 & Luke 7:1-10, it is important to remember that we are two thousand years removed from these events. For that reason, traditionalists cannot prove their contention, that the centurion and his pais-servant, were not same sex lovers. It is equally impossible to prove to everyone’s satisfaction, that this was a gay centurion and his pais-beloved-gay lover.

Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, Nor the effeminate, nor liars with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God.

So saith Paul. I do not mean to sound hostile, but as I have said before, love the sinner, hate the sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.