CIA left explosive material on Loudoun school bus after training exercise

washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/cia-left-explosive-material-on-loudoun-school-bus-after-training-exercise/2016/03/31/428f9824-f78d-11e5-a3ce-f06b5ba21f33_story.html

The CIA left “explosive training material” under the hood of a Loudoun County school bus after a training exercise last week, a bus that was used to ferry elementary and high school students to and from school on Monday and Tuesday with the material still sitting in the engine compartment, according to the CIA and Loudoun County officials.

The article continues at the link.

Oops. I wonder if this exercise was related to the one in Richmond where the State Trooper was killed?

Nothing sinister in not willing to disclose what it was, its probably non explosive, and don’t want the bad guys having a means to distract bomb sniffers. Glad they found it.

I don’t believe secret agencies allow such information to reach the public.

Ed

Even non secret groups - they call it ‘patent infringement’.

I’ll bet the report this generates will top 300 pages! Secret or open, the bureaucracy must go on!

Reminds me of another story. An airline passenger unpacked his bag at home and found a bundle of something either explosive or simulant which had been inserted into his bag as part of a training exercise. Big oops!

I’m shocked they would use actual explosives in a probable detection training exercise.

I guess the explosive-sniffing dogs are so good that they can’t be fooled by fake explosives. The only sure thing is to use real explosives.

No worries. So-called “high-explosives,” though very powerful, have a very high threshold for detonation. To set them off, you need to create a sufficiently strong explosion with something else like a blasting cap. The explosive used in this training exercise wouldn’t explode in a motor-vehicle collision or if it fell on the roadway and got run over or hit by a snowplow. Had there been an engine fire, the explosive could have burned very hot and brightly, which might have increased the risk to the driver, passengers, and firefighters.

Although the explosives were apparently no threat to the safety of anyone, I still find this to be very unnerving. After all, what if some unscrupulous person such as a terrorist happened to get a hold of the explosives and then used them to commit a terrorist attack somewhere?

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.