cic

hi,
my children were baptised through cic. it appears that, there are people who disagree with cic… my question would be… how do you view the cic’s roles in helping children to get baptised because they were not infant/ cradle baptist? Thanks and God Bless

I’m not sure I understand your question/statement.

Are you talking about the RCIA process adapted for children, sometimes called RCIC?

This is the process established by the Church for all persons over the age of reason to be brought into the Church.

So, I’m not sure what you are referring to when you say “there are people who disagree with cic.” Disagree with what? I don’t see what there is to “disagree” with.

What is CIC?

Hi, Olivia Ann!

I'm not sure what you're really asking.  Could you rephrase?  If it's about Baptism of non-infants, it still counts and is valid.  The only invalid Baptism of which I'm aware is in some Pentecostal churches where they don't use the trinitarian formula (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).  They baptize in the name of Jesus only.  That's not valid.  

God bless! :slight_smile:

cic - Catholics initiation for children

thank you for the respond, i know the Baptism is valid… somehow, there are group in the church who actually still do not agree with CIC ( stands for Catholics Initiation for Children), during one rite before baptism, the priest in charge actually mentioned that, the rites are meant for adults, not for children. My question is that, if it is only meant for adults, how about the children? They are candidates for baptism but they are not included in the rite. If they are not included, how come they can be baptised?

there is no such thing, although folks in your parish may have used that “shorthand” abbreviation, which results in the confusion. The process through which adults (anyone over the age of reason, usually about age 7, for this purpose) are brought into the Catholic Church is the Rites of Christian Initiation for Adults. Those rites are adapted for children so that their preparation is suited to their age, abiltiy and needs, and is called the Children’s Catechumenate, but the process is the same.

they should have been instructed in the faith over a period of no less than a year, accompanied by sponsors who are usually the parents during the intitial phases, celebrated various preparatory rites to mark transitions through the phases of this process, and beginning in Lent have intensive preparation for the reception of the sacraments. they would then have been baptized, confirmed and receive first communion at the same time on Easter, during the Easter Vigil (or at another time if there was a real urgent reason).

They then should have continued further faith formation, going beyond the basics for at least 50 days until Pentecost, and hopefully continue religious education throughout their school years.

Now, I still don’t understand OP’s questions.

If there is a “group” in the Church who do not agree Christ gave authority to his apostles and their successors to baptized, confirm and confect the Eucharist, and the authority to determine how converts are brought into the Church, then that “group” needs to get with the program and decide just how far their dissent is going to carry them. For someone in such a “group” to deliberately raise doubts in the mind of a sincere convert, or in the mind of the parents who have brought their children to Christ as OP has, is a grave offense and I hope wherever this “group” is, that their pastor and bishop are made aware of their actions.

Please OP do not allow yourself to be led astray by Catholics in name only who question the authority of the Church over her sacraments, granted by Christ himself.

The RCIA is definitely intended for children over the age of reason, there is an entire section of the Ritual Book describing how these are adapted for their needs, called, as I say, the Children’s Catechumenate. Sounds like the priest in question needs better instruction from his bishop, but please, parents, do not let it disturb you in the least that some in the Church do not understand and accept. You have done the right thing. Be at peace.

As long as they have been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit it does not matter what perpetration program they went through. Remember…children don’t really need to go through a prep program anyway. Although with whats going on nowadays i would say alot of adults need a pep program before they baptize their Children;)

RCIC is an adaptation of RCIA for 7 or 8-16 year olds. I believe the rationale is also the reason for the dispute - and it has to do with Confirmation, not Baptism. To wit - RCIA leads to the reception of the three sacraments of initiation together. But in most American parishes children who are baptised as infants receive first Eucharist at about age 7 and the Confirmation much later, generally in high school. So if RCIC candidates are baptised and receive Eucharist and then are expected to go through the regular Confirmation prep, that might be seen as an abuse of the Rite.

But preparation for Baptism is not intrinsic to the validity of the Sacrament, so as has been aptly said, “Let not your heart be troubled.” :slight_smile:

Your priest is correct, RCIA is for adults who have not been baptized. Anyone over the age of reason is considered an adult as it relates to asking for the Sacrament of Baptism.

Below age 7 or 8, parents can ask on behalf of their children. After age 7 or 8, they must ask for themselves and yes they go through the RCIA process. Their catechesis can be at their ownl level (children’s catechumenate) but the process is the same.

Maybe your priest was unclear or misinformed, or maybe you misunderstood the point he was trying to make. And, I’m not sure what rite he was talking about.

hi,
RCIA is for adult and CIC is for children… i wonder if the children are not included in the Rites carried out before baptism due to some people who actually said that the rites are meant for adults… then how come the children can be baptised? Thanks and God bless

To be precise, there’s only RCIA. For the purposes of the Church when it comes to baptism, someone is either an infant or an adult. The age of reason (usually considered to be about age 7) is the dividing line. A 5-year-old can be baptized at his parents’ request. An 8-year-old goes through RCIA adapted for children and is baptized at the Easter Vigil.

I don’t work much with children so other people will know better, but I believe the only rite the children skip is two of the scrutinies. Older people have three scrutinies, but I believe the rite calls for only one scrutiny for children.

There is no such thing as RCIC. That is what we are trying to tell you.

There is only RCIA.

Anyone over the age of reason (7 or 8 years old) is an adult as far as the Church is concerned regarding asking for baptism.

The *instruction *of the children should be adapted to their level so they understand what is being taught and there are some *adaptions *that are made for the Children’s Catechumenate.

Whoever is running the program should follow the Rite Book.

You still haven’t said exactly what the problem is-- what Rite or Rites the children did or did not participate in-- so it’s hard to really say anything about that. The Rite Book details the adaptations for children.

Because baptism is independent of the Rites. The Rites are part of the process the Church has for catechumens to liturgically celebrate their journey towards baptism, but a person can be baptized without having undergone the Rites.

hi again,
Thank you for the explanation. The children were not included in the 2nd scrutiny/ 2nd purification rite… i thought it is supposed to be compulsory for all to be baptised candidates. As a parent and a newly baptised (last year), of course i was a bit blurred. My two other children who were baptised together with me last year, did not even skipped any rites during lent… When the priest mentioned like that, not only myself but to the other parents too were shocked… i would say, maybe myself is new and need more clarification in this matter. Thanks and God bless

The Rite Book staes (paragraph 294) that at least **one **penitential rite (scrutiny) should be celebrated with children. It does not call for 3 scrutinies.

Hi,
Thanks again for the explanation. I am clear now of the rites. At least, if my youngest son asks me regarding the matter, I can now clarify to him. God bless…:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.