cilice

Do you know where I can get a cilice for devotional purposes?
Or do I have to make one myself?

You really need to meet with a spiritual director and get his permission and guidance when doing corporal mortification of that kind. It’s not for everybody

To Genesis:
Already done that. Thanks for your concern.

Ok good :slight_smile: . Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to your original question

If your spiritual director has given this his blessing I should think he would know where to obtain one.

Or do I have to make one myself?

I think a 100% wool clothing makes a good cilice. I have some wool socks that make my feet itch like the dickens!

God Bless!

Heh. I have a couple of wool sweaters that I thought could pass for a hairshirt.

What is a cilice?

Read here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilice

E-Bay, search cilice.

There’s a seller that used to hand make them and sell them for ~$30.00 - $40.00. They aren’t listed everytime, but check every few days. I bought one, more for a collectible though, I don’t use it at all.

haha thank you thats exactly what I was going to ask!

Good morning, If you still need it use this web site cilice.co.uk/hairshirts.php
It takes about 10 days.

Please explain something to me why do you all get crazy about this? Is it because you feel you are unable to do it so no one should. I don’t get it? The people I’ve talked to seem very humble after practicing mortification. It is a part of Catholic heritage and we don’t just do it for ourselves we also do it for the sins of our brothers and sisters. After all the murdering our country does through abortions, we as a country need alot of penance. If you want to fight or if you need a purpose, fight for an innocent life.
I know it hard to understand what it is like to be a father if you don’t have childeren but I tell you if my childeren killed an innocent child I would be extremely UPSET. If my other childeren stood by and watched or talked them into they would also here my wrath. So quit arguing about celice and mortification and thank God that you have a way to help your other brother and sisters. Maybe we should get together every week at the same time and wear our Cilice together in repentance for all our countries sins!!

Why are you responding to a 6 year old post?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.