Circumcision, again

Here’s the thing. My parents had me circumcised when I was a baby. The thing is the Church’s stance on circumcision actually isnt very clear.
Catholic Answers has an article saying that it is neutral and that parents have the right to circumcise their sons https://www.catholic.com/index.php/qa/should-catholics-circumcise-their-sons#.XDT9dxVu4uo.link
But theres also this very in-depth article that seems to be well researched saying that modern day circumcision that is not therapuetic is mutilation and is a mortal sin https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.chausa.org/publications/health-progress/article/september-october-2006/to-circumcise-or-not-to-circumcise-&ved=2ahUKEwiRsJj8w97fAhWJa94KHcDQBLkQFjAPegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1JA5clE_uopdDKEE1P9l1H

The thing im concerned for is the salvation of my parents (who are Catholic and chose to circumcise me). Are they in a state of mortal sin then?

What should I do/think of this?

0 Likes

I’m sure your heart is in the right place but your worries for your parents strike me as kinda paranoid honestly. I would just let this go. It’s not a huge deal.

5 Likes

We just had this discussion and have had many more in the past:

No. There is no logical reason to think this.

You already answered your question: :small_red_triangle_down:

2 Likes

You’ve already admitted on previous threads that you have anxiety and paranoia, including over the salvation of others.

This is a bad pattern. So here goes.

1. The Church has no moral or theological stance on male circumcision. So drop it.
  2. If you keep repeating this kind of posting pattern, I’d suggest to the CAF community to treat you as a scrupulous, ping Fr. Edward, and flag your threads for closure.

In fact, I will ping Fr. Edward @edward_george1 now.

5 Likes

First of all, I doubt your parents did this in order to mutilate you, their child. Which means it would not meet the definition for mortal sin. I don’t know how old you are, but as a parent, I will tell you that medical professionals often presented circumcision as the appropriate choice to avoid infections in later years.

I had my son circumcised because of that input – if I had it to do over again, I probably would not. However, I certainly don’t believe I, or any other parents who had their sons circumcised, were sinning.

3 Likes

even if you believe that circumcism is a mortal sin, it would not be a sin for your parents unless they knew it was a mortal sin, and chose to go ahead with it anyway.

For anything to be a mortal sin, you need intent to go against God’s will.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in that as someone who had it done when I was 22 or so, it certainly has therapeutic value for practically all males.

1 Like

You need to understand that in order for a person to be culpable for a mortal sin, they have to be aware that it is a mortal sin prior to committing it, and choose to commit it anyways. You don’t even need to worry about whether circumcision is right or wrong. You have your answer right there.

1 Like

Are you concerned for your own salvation? That seems like enough for you to figure out. Honestly it comes across as holier than thou when you start judging the possibility of your parents in hell because you were circumcised.

0 Likes

I was circumcised when I was a baby .

I was not mutilated .

I am amused when I recall what my mother told me about it .

The family doctor circumcised me on the kitchen table . :smiley:

It was not a mortal sin .

It was not a venial sin .

1 Like

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.