Circumcision an Egyptian Custom?

I ran across an article this evening that stated that circumcision was first an Egyptian religious custom, before it was instituted as a covenant between God and the Jews. Does anyone have any more information on that?

[quote=MistyF]I ran across an article this evening that stated that circumcision was first an Egyptian religious custom, before it was instituted as a covenant between God and the Jews. Does anyone have any more information on that?
[/quote]

Try this page of searches:

aolsearch.aol.co.uk/web?query=Herodotus+Egypt+Circumcision&location=wholeweb&isinit=true&submit.x=43&submit.y=3

That link didn’t work, but I googled the words “Herodotus Egypt Circumcision” (from checking the words listed in your search) and came up with this page: nocirc.org/symposia/second/larue.html

It was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Yes circumcision was a part of Ancient Egyptian rite of entering adulthood. In Judiaism, boys are circumcised on the 7th day after their birth and they cannot be named until they are circumcised. In Ancient Egypt boys were named at birth and they were not cirucumcised until they reached adolesense (around 14).

I just attended the Great Bible Adventure seminar by Jeff Cavins this weekend and he mentioned that.

Under Period 2: The Patriarchs, when reading Genesis 17 Jeff explains that God renews his covenant with Abraham, but since he bore Ishmael thru bedding Hagar, the Egyptian - God expanded the practice of circumcision to all of Abraham’s people. This would have been in line with Ishmael turning 13 when he would have been circumcised had he been raised in Egypt…and then all the adults, of course, had to experience this procedure, while the children got the blessing of having it done by the 8th day after birth.

Anyway, that’s according to the notes I took at the time.

If anyone gets a chance to attend one of these seminars - it is WAY worth the cost!! I so want to bring the DVDs to my parish.

[quote=YinYangMom]I just attended the Great Bible Adventure seminar by Jeff Cavins this weekend and he mentioned that…
[/quote]

Yet another of the vast and growing flood of Protestant clergy that has come home to Christs Church. Praise God!

To study history and Scripture and OBEY Christ is to become Catholic!

The reason I asked this question is that I was reading an article on the JW claim of Christmas being pagan. In there, it talked about how the custom of circumcision was first Egyptian, and then God instituted the covenant with Abraham. The point there was that God made that unholy custom into something holy. And that can easily be compared to the Church moving Christmas to a certain day in order that Christians would have a holy celebration, and would not be tempted by the pagan celebration. That unholy day was made holy. We are not worshipping the god of Saturn, we are celebrating Christ’s birth.
str.org/free/commentaries/life/chrpagan.htm

Hi all!

I would like to offer a slight correction to Psalm 45:9’s post. We are circumcised on the 8th day. Circumcisions are held on the 8th day even if the 8th day is the Sabbath, Yom Kippur, one or both parents are in mourning or even if one or both parents died/were killed the day before. The only grounds for not circumcising a Jewish baby boy on the 8th day are those having to do with his health. If the doctors say that this would endanger his health, then the circumcision must be postponed until the doctors say he is fit. See jewfaq.org/birth.htm.

Be well!

ssv :wave:

[quote=YinYangMom]I just attended the Great Bible Adventure seminar by Jeff Cavins this weekend and he mentioned that.

Under Period 2: The Patriarchs, when reading Genesis 17 Jeff explains that God renews his covenant with Abraham, but since he bore Ishmael thru bedding Hagar, the Egyptian - God expanded the practice of circumcision to all of Abraham’s people. This would have been in line with Ishmael turning 13 when he would have been circumcised had he been raised in Egypt…and then all the adults, of course, had to experience this procedure, while the children got the blessing of having it done by the 8th day after birth.

If anyone gets a chance to attend one of these seminars - it is WAY worth the cost!! I so want to bring the DVDs to my parish.
[/quote]

I just attended the seminar last weekend, it was wonderful! Tim Gray was also there, he is a cradle Catholic, not a convert.

[quote=wisdom 3:5]I just attended the seminar last weekend, it was wonderful! Tim Gray was also there, he is a cradle Catholic, not a convert.
[/quote]

I really liked Tim Gray’s contributions to the program…I look forward to buying some of those books he mentioned…just didn’t have the cash with me at the time.

[quote=YinYangMom]I just attended the Great Bible Adventure seminar by Jeff Cavins this weekend and he mentioned that.

[/quote]

I attended a one-day overview of the Bible Adventure with Jeff Cavins too, awhile back. This is what I had in my notes also. I second the opinion on the seminar - I can’t wait to try and bring the full bible study to my parish. We also learned from Jeff that a teenage version and an elementary school age version of the timeline is in the works. I think he said the teen version would be out first (maybe next year…) and then the elementary version sometime after that. I think this is a bible study that could totally renew the Church in terms of getting us all excited about studying the bible. Oh, he also said he is working on a ‘Church History’ timeline to pick up where the current timeline leaves off. I was so impressed by him!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.