Citing growing interest in Traditional Latin Mass, Archbishop Chaput creates quasi-parish

7 Likes

I remember when Masses were conducted in Latin. I did not like it then. I do not like this idea now.
The words of the Mass should be understood.
I should not have to know Latin to be understand that prayers and what the priest is saying.

1 Like

Well, you can do that.

Some people like Latin, and go to these Masses.

If it’s not a matter of mortal sin, live and let live

3 Likes

This is awesome. I’ve seen pictures of this parish, and it’s utterly stunning.
The FSSP does great work.

6 Likes

Each to their own. But understanding the words that are spoken during Mass are much more important than anything else!

Growing up with the Latin Mass, my St Joseph’s Missal had Latin on the left, and English on the right, which made it easy to learn, and to follow. There is some Latin said on Masses through EWTN, during which I use my Missal. I’m grateful to have grown up during a time when Latin Mass predominated. I do understand the bewilderment of those who haven’t experienced the beauty and solemnity of Latin Mass, but would ask them to keep an open mind to a longstanding tradition, in appreciation for one of the great centuries-old treasures of our Catholic Church.

7 Likes

And there are, and always have been, missals that have translations from Latin to the vernacular.

3 Likes

Redemptoris Sacramentum, 112
Priests are always and everywhere permitted to celebrate Mass in Latin.

But we should not have to “follow” the Mass in our own language.
We should just have the Mass said in our language. What is wrong with that?

You are following the Mass = participating in the Mass.

Is this really true? I was under the impression that hand missals for the faithful were an innovation of the 19th Century.

Here we go again!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

2 Likes

Exactly. What’s wrong with the vernacular? What’s wrong with mass in Latin? No one is forcing you to go.

3 Likes

I think a lot of people agree with you. But this is for Catholics interested in the Latin Mass. Others are not required to attend.

There’s nothing wrong with that. And there’s nothing wrong with people attending a Latin Mass at their own choice.

Katrina, I am only saying that we should not have to learn or follow the Mass in Latin.
God’s words are beautiful. It has little to do with the language in which they are spoken.
My opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with that.

You can attend the Mass in English now.

This thread is not intended to be EF v OF. Let’s not make it as such

5 Likes

When I was growing up as a child, I did not understand the Mass, because I did not understand Latin.
I did not like that.
The scripture readings, the Gospel, and the sermon all were done in English, but everything else was done in Latin.
It just seemed strange.
Thank God the church to allow Masses to be conducted in all languages! Amen

Max, I am just giving reasons that I like the Mass in my own language. I am not trying to create a problem.
Discussions are worth having.
God bless you!

2 Likes

And no one here said we have to.

3 Likes

I know you aren’t, YNN. I didn’t mean to imply that, and if I did, I’m sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

But, I’d bet that this thread will turn into EF v OF , rather than a thread of thanksgiving for a beautiful form of the Mass becoming more common where there is demand for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.