City Council OKs Resolution Urging Media To Curb ‘Racist, Sexist Slurs’

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The City Council has approved a resolution calling on local TV and radio stations to limit any “racist” and “sexist” comments on their broadcasts.

The City Council voted 13-2 to pass the resolution with a motion urging “the management of radio and television stations in Los Angeles to do everything in their power to ensure that their on-air hosts do not use and promote racist and sexist slurs over public airwaves in the City of Los Angeles”.

losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/03/22/city-council-oks-resolution-urging-media-to-curb-racist-sexist-slurs/

And who determnes if comments and are racist or sexist?

He who has the largest microphone. In the City of LA people who can get on TV. Funny the host who sparked this along with Rush’s later comment is an anti-religion guy. But the Church doesn’t have the TV camera in order to get City Council to act

A Judge after a claim is made. Like with any other allegation of crime.

What crime, it is a nonbinding resolution in a nation with free speech? The other radio host in the city are saying the council acted because blood is in the water after the top rated team on radio got suspended for using street slang to call the late Whitney Houston a drug prostitute. And after Rush and another prostitution reference the industry is licking their wounds and not firing back. But with the political action it does seem like the radio talk host are reemerging from their shells.

The radio station. The LA City Council passed a non-binding resolution urging better behavior, nothing more than that.

However, contrary to the headline of the news article, the resolution was singling out one particular radio station (KFI 640 AM) and its corporate owner (Clear Channel Communications.)
clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2012/12-0342_RESO_03-07-12.pdf

Its much easier to change the channel. Let the radio hosts rant, rave, and otherwise slander at their own legal peril. As for the stations; they will continue to broadcast whatever drivel they can find a market for.

Its much easier to change the channel. Let the radio hosts rant, rave, and otherwise slander at their own legal peril. As for the stations; they will continue to broadcast whatever drivel they can find a market for.

I agree completely with this. People, in general. need to grow a skin, and I mean everyone.
These radio jocks are in the business of being offensive…that’s why I don’t listen to any of them.

John

I mostly listen to their two main competetors while working and their local host are backing KFI. After all as we learned from the Rush versus Mahr controversy of a week ago good “behavior” seems to be a function of whose side you are on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.