City of Cleveland to pay $6 million to Tamir Rice's family to settle lawsuit

How does that matter?

There are plenty of YouTube videos of people doing open carry getting confronted by the Police. None of them were shot . . . because they complied with Police instruction.

What this tragedy highlights is the need to better educate our youth about their rights and how to engage the police when/if confronted.

Generally, people who are open-carrying aren’t also pointing their gun at others for fun.

Tamir Rice wasn’t given time to comprehend, much less respond to police direction. The education that needed to be done was the police who butchered this badly. Of course, that was entirely predictable based on the checkered past of these two police, so that partially explains the willingness to settle.

So, I guess anyone who open carries is at risk, because it wouldn’t take much for someone to call the police and lie about it. If they don’t respond correctly, they’ll be dead in two seconds and that’ll be the end of their 2nd amendment rights.

My post was more about how individuals could reduce the chance of a repeat, in spite of mistakes the police can/do make.

I also look for traffic before crossing a road, even though I may have right of way and a ‘walk’ sign flashing it’s OK. Teaching one to be careful doesn’t absolve drivers from their mistakes (or police).

Maybe Cleveland can properly train their police so they don’t murder civilians who may be exercising their constitutional rights to reduce the chance of a repeat. Maybe Cleveland can also review the records of candidates that worked in nearby police departments to not hire anyone that was considered untrainable by another department. That probably would have a greater impact.

It would also help if there were “How to not act like a threat to the public in such a manner that the responding officers might think they’re rolling up on a potential mass shooter and act accordingly” classes offered in the local schools.

I’m not saying the police are innocent in this, but Tamir Rice’s behavior was hardly innocent, either. This isn’t a hard concept: If you point a firearm - or object that sufficiently resembles a firearm - at someone in a park, you have just become a threat to the public and will be treated as though that object was a real firearm when the police respond until they can safely determine otherwise.

Watch the video. When the cops pull up, he is advancing on their car and reaching for something in his waistband. That alone is How-to-get-shot 101. Think about the officer’s point of view: A call has come in that someone is indiscriminately pointing a handgun at people in a park. As they pull up, the person matching the description they’ve been given starts walking toward their cars and is reaching for something concealed in his clothing. Their cars are not bulletproof. They have less than 5 seconds to decide how to respond to this.

I feel sympathy for all involved, but this isn’t some massive miscarriage of justice, evidence of institutionalized racism, or part of some pogrom to eliminate young black men. This is a horrible situation brought on by one 12-year-old boy acting stupid and two police officers who faced a split-second life-or-death decision. The officers aren’t innocent, but they’re not guilty of murder. Tamir isn’t guilty, but he wasn’t just innocently playing in the park.

I really don’t think that Tamir acted as a threat when they came flying into the park across the grass given him instructions through closed windows. He was probably confused and then he was shot dead 1.5 seconds after the officer left the car. It isn’t clear to me from the video he was reaching for anything and I dare say that anyone who claims that they can tell that from 3 pictures (the video only took pictures every 1/2 second) is imagining what they want to see.

If you truly have sympathy for everyone involved, might you suggest to your local town to hire these two fine officers. Since you have cleared them from wrongdoing, they would be welcome additions to your local police department. I’m sure the multiple incidents of their incompetence are outliers.

So instead of teaching your children to look both ways before crossing a road, you are insisting we should train drivers better to follow the rules of the road. I think you are wrong.

Yes the police need ongoing training but accidents happen. I expect they didn’t follow the training they had received. Also training children how to respond would reduce the frequency of such incidents, but nothing will prevent them entirely.

Nah, I’m saying that a driver with 5 DUIs shouldn’t be on the road to run over a kid on a bicycle. I’m sure the driver will say the kid swerved in front on him, but there is a video to suggest differently. And then, why was the drunk on the road at all?

Like I said, if you think these guys did the right thing, you should invite them into your town as police. Just be prepared to pay the price literally.

You are confusing our thoughts to prevent this with your assessment of what the police did wrong. I would train children to survive in spite of failures in police training. I want the kids to spot the drunk driver and stay on the sidewalk. Think of it as redundancy, to help when the cop training failures to operate as desired.

It will also save kids lives when the cop is following training.

Yes, it certainly comes across as blaming the victim.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.