City of Enoch taken up

So at Mass the priest spoke of Enoch being taken up to heaven. I was confused that he didn’t mention the whole city of righteous people going up. So is this purely a Mormon belief about Enoch and his city?

And then that makes me curious about Abraham when he lied about his wife being his sister, for her protection. Was this also a Mormon teaching?

Any other ones I should be aware of? I don’t want to be thrown off during the homily again. One little thing can trigger a whole lot in thinking. Just want to be clear. Thanks.

The whole city being taken up is from the Inspired Verson or Book of Moses, so yes LDS/RLDS belief.

Abraham lying about Sarah? It is a biblical strory…not distinctly LDS

As a Catholic I do not know anything about Enoch’s city going up into Heaven, just Enoch, as Gensis 5:24 says. So I guess that that would be a Mormon belief only, although I know nothing about this belief. Where does it come from exactly and what happens?

The story of Abraham lying about his wife being his sister is in Genesis, so, yes, we Catholics believe that story.

Abraham lied, but who he was protecting, the text further reveals, that he said
‘they would kill him,-Abraham, for his wife’, meaning the lie seemed to be to save himself from being killed, as this was one way the king could take his wife, by killing the husband.

That’s Mormon, not Catholic.

And then that makes me curious about Abraham when he lied about his wife being his sister, for her protection. Was this also a Mormon teaching?

That’s Biblical.

Actually Abraham did not lie. He just wasn’t forthcoming with the full truth. He did that for both himself and for Sarah. If Abraham is dead, then no son, then no seed. So he did it for everyone’s sake really.

Now I see that it is not in the Bible. I found it in Moses 7:69. It reads that Enoch and his people walked with God in Zion (Enoch’s city). Then it goes on to say that the whole city was taken up. So it is purely a Mormon belief. Thus my confusion.

Also, I looked up Genesis 12:11-12 and don’t see that God commanded Abram to lie about his wife. In the LDS scripture Abraham 2:22-24 it reads that the Lord told Abraham to say she is his sister. So that must be the difference. One is that Abraham made it up on his own and the other says he was commanded to lie.

I’m sure I’ll come across a lot more stuff. I appreciate all your help in clarification. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.