Civil marriage in the catholic cathedra

I’ve know non-believers who’re allowed to have civil marriage (without priest) in central state cathtedra. I feel strange about this, isn’t a blasphemy ? Does only our religion allows this ?

What are you talking about? Your post is not clear at all.

Sorry. I’m talking about ‘renting’ catholic cathedra for non-catholic marriage .

Still not clear enough. What specific Catholic Church are you saying they are allowing civil marriages at?

It’s roman catholic , the main cathedra in state. Does the city/address matter ? It’s more general question .

You have used the word “cathedra” many times. The cathedra is the chair of the Bishop. The Cathedral is the Church where that chair is located.

I’m going to assume you mean that the Bishop permits the Cathedral building to be rented out.

Where you were witness to this wedding or is this a rumour? Are you certain that the persons were non-Catholic? Was the Body of Christ removed from the tabernacle?

Yes, I mean Cathedral . Always learning on this forum;) My message was not very clear… at all. I said it took place, actually no, it’s planned, didn’t happen yet. So if the Body of Christ is removed from the tabernacle will it be acceptable ?

The specific name does matter. We can look into it better. What is it?

Is this definitely a CATHOLIC cathedral? (Not all cathedrals are for Catholic Churches.)

It’s definitely a CATHOLIC cathedral, Catholic Church.

I’m not sure why this is your concern?

The Bishop may allow or disallow the use of the Church for a wedding.

While it is not typical for non-Catholics to be married in a Catholic Church, I don’t think it’s unequivocably prohibited.

Does it mean support for non-sacramental marriage ?

I remember apologetics adivising not to attend non-catholic marriage (including your own children if they decide so) so why allowing it in the church building ?

Non Catholics are free to marry in any way that they wish. Catholics on the other hand need to observe the church laws and requirements. Two different things. If a Catholic is marrying outside the church they are going against church teaching. A non catholic is doing what they are allowed to do. Non catholic marriages providing the couple were free to marry are totally accepted as valid by the Catholic Church.

If the people in question are baptized, then their marriage would be sacramental. If they are not baptized, then they have what is called a natural marriage.

Either way, in general the Church recognizes non-Catholic marriages as valid.

I think you are confused on this. What was being discussed in that situation was regarding Catholics who are marrying (or remarrying) outside the Church. Catholics are required to be married in the Catholic form or receive a dispensation. This does not apply to non-Catholics and there is nothing wrong with attending the wedding of two non-Catholics.

irom has a point. If the Cathedral is hosting some heretic or atheistic wedding, then at best the Cathedral is giving cause to scandal. At worst, it’s material cooperation in evil.

Let’s hope it’s just a misunderstanding for everyone involved and that nothing of the like occurs.

Which Cathedral? Give us the exact name.

1ke seems to be saying that she is not aware of anything in canon law that would automatically prohibit the use of a Catholic Church for a non-Catholic wedding ceremony. Nor am I, but I do not know canon law as well as 1ke or many other people.

Obviously, if one or both of the parties is Catholic, they would need to be married according to canonical form, or receive a dispensation. If neither party is Catholic, then the Church would consider the marriage valid regardless of form, unless there are other impediments.

The OP has not chosen to share any details about the circumstances for this specific situation. The OP describes it as a “civil ceremony” but I am wondering if it might actually be a religious ceremony performed by the non-Catholic clergy of one of the people getting married?

I can envision a scenario where something like this might reasonably be permitted: for example if a local congregation’s regular place of worship had been damaged or was being renovated, and a member of that congregation wished to be married in a church by their own clergy. Such a situation would be somewhat similar to when Chief Justice William Rhenquist died in 2005. Although Rhenquist was a Lutheran, the Archbishop of Washington allowed St. Matthew’s (the Catholic Cathedral) to be used for Rhenquist’s funeral service (presided over by a Lutheran clergy member). I believe the reason was that St. Matthew’s was one of the few churches in Washington that would be large enough to hold the service.

Again, the OP has not provided many details, so we can only speculate as to the reasons and note the apparent lack of a blanket prohibition in Canon Law.

Correct, this was my point, thank you. Cathedral might give cause to scandal by hosting heretic or atheistic weddings.
I din’t know that marriage of people who are baptized is always sacramental and that
in general the Church recognizes non-Catholic (‘non-baptized’) marriages as valid.
I’m NOT against, just trying to understand…

Yes and on occaision other faiths are permitted to use Catholic Churches for their services on a regular basis.

It would help if we knew the name of the church so we could look at the website and see if they advertise or explain somehow.

This is Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.