Claims of ability to heal/ miracles

I didnt know where to put this either…

so I happen to know of one priest who claimed to have the ability to heal people… he was very adamant about his gift. That he doesnt have the ability to heal himself when he is hurt or injured that he can only help others… but then he kind of goes into a dialouge that falls into the cover your rear end category , of God chooses who to heal and why, " i am just the messenger " kind of thing…and so here is the thing… when Christ first gave the apostles the ability to cleanse the sick, and rid people of demons, He didnt limit it to just certain case scenerios and warn the apostles that well, God isn’t going to always let you do this or God is going to pick and choose who you actually get to heal. An Jesus didn’t say, this gift isn’t going to work, if you are not pure of heart and don’t have perfect faith. and granted there is a lot Jesus didn’t say. But seems like when writting things down someone might have included such testimony had it been relevant when writting things down in the first place. But anyhow.

With that in mind, Does the church have a clear cut answer as to who, what, when , why and how a priest, can make such a claim ? An then it seems to me if the person did have such a tremendous gift, why in the world would it be limited ?

Because it comes off as a scam when someone claims to have a gift but then says well in the end it is up to God an you just have to have faith and wait it out, and people in wheel chairs or are very ill are really hoping for this priest to be able to do what he says.

I forget the name of the priest and i would have to look him up an get back to anyone who says well who is he.

An even if it isnt a religious or clergy my question would still be the same.

Right now there is nothing that you and I could do except to guess. It would be better for the Catholic Church to investigate into this to discern whether it is a special grace from God or trick of fallen angels. We really cannot have a solid answer at the moment.

However, based on what I have read, people who usually have powers like this do not go about showing off publicly and loudly.

One way to find out.

Ask him to heal you of any doubt or cynicism.

Ain’t nobody got a catechism? Healing is one of the charisms of the Holy Spirit.

Hello?

This is true. In fact many want to reject such a gift fearing their inability to live up to it.

Mericals and healings happen every day and in many ways. We tend to be so jaded we just don’t see them as they are. Get up early and see the sunrise or sit outside on a starry night. Each breath you take is a miracle. How you perceive such wonders is up to you. Yes, there are those that have the gift of healing but those that have the charisma know it is not from themselves, but from a higher, greater power and we call Him God and generally go about it on the Q. T. They are like Padre Pio and try to distance themselves from fame, glory, and vanity. A Catholic esp. a priest would be fully investigated and scrutinied by the Church. Don’t worry about the priest and what he may claim. Simply count your own blessings and all the little healings and miracles we encounter with wide open but closed eyes and heats. You know I would say that you encounter more healings and miracles right here on CA then you are ever likely to witness on the streets or even in many Churches.

Well, there are all kinds of people, Catholics included.

In our diocese, we once had a priest who claimed to be able to communicate with the dead. He went around ‘ministering’ to people who wanted his help. The last we heard of him, he eventually left the Catholic Church but still went around doing his ‘ministry’.

Don’t waste your time on this.

All supernatural gifts come from God by the power of the Holy Spirit. It is not for anybody to claim this gift or any gift. It is given if the Spirit gives and not any other ways.

Every miracle that happened/performed is a gift from God and only God decides which, what, how and why it occurs. The minute you hear someone claims that he can perform miracle anytime he wants, you know something is not right. Don’t waste your time on it.

This gift - is called " faith "
Many people lack it.
Christ DOES give this power to people - to use - whenever possible.
Whoever has a mustard seed of faith - can do good things !
But many don’t / wont - step out of the boat - and walk on water - to Jesus -
’ oh ye of little faith ’

Thank you to those who actually gave an answer,

The replies were better than I could give. I just count my many blessings and consider them miracles.

A miracle is a gift of God given to the faithful. Like it or not, the gift is limited, it is not meant for the faithless. When Jesus and the Apostles walked this world, it was an extraordinary time so you cannot compare that to the present age. Personally, I believe that among those whom Jesus cured, some fell away from the faith and the good path, and their diseases returned.

Exactly. I have an immediate family member (not a priest) with this gift, but he is so quiet and humble about it, and only talks about it very rarely and only with intimate acquaintances, if that. I know of some of the miracles God has done through him, but it’s God’s glory, not his, that is talked about.

So if this priest is talking about it so openly…I’d be very skeptical. Healings might occur anyway despite his bragging but I’m doubtful…however I don’t know him or the details so can’t say for sure.

Sadly, the catechism is the “go to” book that no one seems to go to.

Wait a minute! Your username is “HolySpirit1” and you have doubts about healing that occurs via the same Spirit? God is very hands on at times, and uses the priest’s hands to confect the Eucharist, for example. The laying on of hands is also one channel through which the power of the Spirit acts.

On charisms , of which the gift to heal is one , the Catholic Catechism teaches "Whether extraordinary or simple and humble, charisms are graces of the Holy Spirit which directly or indirectly benefit the Church, ordered as they are to her building up, to the good of men, and to the needs of the world.

Charisms are to be accepted with gratitude by the person who receives them and by all members of the Church as well. They are a wonderfully rich grace for the apostolic vitality and for the holiness of the entire Body of Christ, provided they really are genuine gifts of the Holy Spirit and are used in full conformity with authentic promptings of this same Spirit, that is, in keeping with charity, the true measure of all charisms.

It is in this sense that discernment of charisms is always necessary. No charism is exempt from being referred and submitted to the Church’s shepherds. “Their office [is] not indeed to extinguish the Spirit, but to test all things and hold fast to what is good,” so that all the diverse and complementary charisms work together “for the common good.”"

The charism of healing which all priests have is to be found pre-eminently in the Sacrament of Reconciliation .

Reconcilation with God and others is the greatest healing .

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.