Clapping at Mass Yesterday

No... it's not a clapping at mass complaint thread. :D But it is a thread to show that sometimes, even when you are doing things "right" at mass, applauding may still occur. Yesterday, after I chanted the psalm, my dear, little one clapped for me. My husband quieted her down and told her that it wasn't appropriate to clap and there were some smirks and snickers from the people sitting around them. (My husband sits up front near the cantor stand with the kids as my daughter behaves a little better if she sees me, so when I heard her clapping and immediately turned my head back there.) Although I was embarrassed, I was also laughing to myself inside because it reminded me of all of the clapping threads I've read on here where it seems to be believed that only applauding occurs when there is "obviously a performance" going on. Of course, she is only three, but she liked the psalm so much, it induced her to applaud. This happened to me several years ago at another parish after I, again,* chanted* the psalm. I believe it was a child, because I can't believe an adult would do that. But I think it is a little humorous that the two times I was "applauded" at mass it was during a chanted psalm - something that is so calm, non-ostentatious and so opposite of performance, especially when all you are doing are the simple chant tones and being as still as possible while singing it.

We had clapping at Mass yesterday too. ;) Right before the final dismissal several children from the parish school came up to the ambo to speak on the Year of Faith. So children's essays made a very indulgent congregation clap a bit. :D

[quote="Sarabande, post:1, topic:312921"]
Yesterday, after I chanted the psalm, my dear, little one clapped for me.

[/quote]

Sarabande, you muse contact your bishop immediately to denounce this abuse. These things cannot be allowed to fester. If the bishop does not act, write straightaway to the CDW or the Holy Father himself. And I heard Cardinal Arinze has taken an interest in stamping out the abuse of applause in the liturgy, so make sure to CC him on everything as well. Throw in the nuncio too.

Sunday before last, our parish Priest spoke on abortion. He pointed out how America was st6ill grieving for the children recently killed in Conn. What was so upsetting to him, was that many of those same people apparently feel no concern or grief in regards to the 54.5 MILLION babies killed since Wade. He pointed out how it is acceptable for senators and congress to continue their fight against Pro-life groups without any feelings for these innocent lives. When Father completed his "sermon" the entire Church was clapping. After mass I chatted with Father. I told him I had never seen a Priest receive such a response in CHurch, excepting perhaps a celebration of 50 years in the Priesthood, like we had a few weeks prior.

It may have been out of the norm, but it did show how many Catholics still believe in life.

[quote="MarkThompson, post:3, topic:312921"]
Sarabande, you muse contact your bishop immediately to denounce this abuse. These things cannot be allowed to fester. If the bishop does not act, write straightaway to the CDW or the Holy Father himself. And I heard Cardinal Arinze has taken an interest in stamping out the abuse of applause in the liturgy, so make sure to CC him on everything as well. Throw in the nuncio too.

[/quote]

Makes me wonder if there is clapping in heaven........... I take it Mark that your post is in jest. If not, wow!

[quote="lady4law, post:4, topic:312921"]
Sunday before last, our parish Priest spoke on abortion. He pointed out how America was st6ill grieving for the children recently killed in Conn. What was so upsetting to him, was that many of those same people apparently feel no concern or grief in regards to the 54.5 MILLION babies killed since Wade. He pointed out how it is acceptable for senators and congress to continue their fight against Pro-life groups without any feelings for these innocent lives. When Father completed his "sermon" the entire Church was clapping. After mass I chatted with Father. I told him I had never seen a Priest receive such a response in CHurch, excepting perhaps a celebration of 50 years in the Priesthood, like we had a few weeks prior.
It may have been out of the norm, but it did show how many Catholics still believe in life.

[/quote]

In this case the applause was not for a performance but for a stance that every Catholic should be shouting from the rooftops. I would bet my life that all the choirs of angels and saints were applauding this stance on life.

No... it's not a clapping at mass complaint thread. :D But it is a thread to show that sometimes, even when you are doing things "right" at mass, applauding may still occur. Yesterday, after I chanted the psalm, my dear, little one clapped for me. My husband quieted her down and told her that it wasn't appropriate to clap and there were some smirks and snickers from the people sitting around them. (My husband sits up front near the cantor stand with the kids as my daughter behaves a little better if she sees me, so when I heard her clapping and immediately turned my head back there.) Although I was embarrassed, I was also laughing to myself inside because it reminded me of all of the clapping threads I've read on here where it seems to be believed that only applauding occurs when there is "obviously a performance" going on. Of course, she is only three, but she liked the psalm so much, it induced her to applaud. This happened to me several years ago at another parish after I, again,* chanted* the psalm. I believe it was a child, because I can't believe an adult would do that. But I think it is a little humorous that the two times I was "applauded" at mass it was during a chanted psalm - something that is so calm, non-ostentatious and so opposite of performance, especially when all you are doing are the simple chant tones and being as still as possible while singing it.

[/quote]

That is just downright cute and should be left at that! And anyone who snickers at a child clapping for her mom needs to get a life. :)

[/quote]

:D

[quote="teachccd, post:7, topic:312921"]
That is just downright cute and should be left at that! And anyone who snickers at a child clapping for her mom needs to get a life. :)

[/quote]

Yes... I can't help but think my daughter was adorable. As embarrassed as I was, it was very cute. I should not have used "snicker". Chuckle would have been the better word. I realized that was the wrong word to use after it was too late to edit. Most of the congregation knows she's my daughter and have watched her and my son grow from the time they were born. They are a wonderful congregation and are actually very happy there are children in the parish again making noises with all of their "antics", after a very dry period when it looked like the parish was dying.

=Sarabande;10293006]No... it's not a clapping at mass complaint thread. :D But it is a thread to show that sometimes, even when you are doing things "right" at mass, applauding may still occur. Yesterday, after I chanted the psalm, my dear, little one clapped for me. My husband quieted her down and told her that it wasn't appropriate to clap and there were some smirks and snickers from the people sitting around them. (My husband sits up front near the cantor stand with the kids as my daughter behaves a little better if she sees me, so when I heard her clapping and immediately turned my head back there.) Although I was embarrassed, I was also laughing to myself inside because it reminded me of all of the clapping threads I've read on here where it seems to be believed that only applauding occurs when there is "obviously a performance" going on. Of course, she is only three, but she liked the psalm so much, it induced her to applaud. This happened to me several years ago at another parish after I, again,* chanted* the psalm. I believe it was a child, because I can't believe an adult would do that. But I think it is a little humorous that the two times I was "applauded" at mass it was during a chanted psalm - something that is so calm, non-ostentatious and so opposite of performance, especially when all you are doing are the simple chant tones and being as still as possible while singing it.

You and huuby are doing GOOD!

God Bless you,

[/quote]

Can't tell if ingenious sarcasm, or you didn't read the OP's post. ;)

We’re Catholics, we clap.

At the Spanish Masses I attend, the opening hymn is clapped. Is there a problem with this?

[quote="teachccd, post:5, topic:312921"]
Makes me wonder if there is clapping in heaven........... I take it Mark that your post is in jest. If not, wow!

[/quote]

[quote="The_Scott, post:11, topic:312921"]
Can't tell if ingenious sarcasm, or you didn't read the OP's post. ;)

[/quote]

;)
:D

[quote="ProVobis, post:13, topic:312921"]
At the Spanish Masses I attend, the opening hymn is clapped. Is there a problem with this?

[/quote]

Other than the awful reminder of my grade school days in a Protestant school? It's not the kind of music that I like to hear during Mass; it's grating to me.

[quote="teachccd, post:7, topic:312921"]

[/quote]

Well they can snicker in enjoyment! :) People often do that in response to a child's spontaneity & lack of social consciousess.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:15, topic:312921"]
Other than the awful reminder of my grade school days in a Protestant school? It's not the kind of music that I like to hear during Mass; it's grating to me.

[/quote]

I just dismiss it as a cultural thing.

[quote="PJM, post:10, topic:312921"]
You and huuby are doing GOOD!

God Bless you,

[/quote]

Awww... thanks. We definitely need His blessings. My hubby was telling me before we left for mass that day how he felt like he can never really pay attention at mass because of the children. Fortunately, we have not really had to take them out. Thankfully, my parents are usually with us to help. Even though I'm usually cantoring, I also have my other ear open, worrying about my daughter or son making a little raucous. I sit behind a pole, so if I do hear her acting up, I look over very discreetly behind the pole, give her the mommy eye and put my finger to my lips to hush. It's not often, but when it does happen, it works. haha!

[/quote]

Wow .. it was so cute. that is why the children are so adorable. At least she clapped, she could shout aloud, "Hey that's my mommy. Yay.." Such at a tender age she is already a part of the liturgy a treasure of a legacy when she grow up.

I have not read all the posts in this thread yet but I was so touched at your sharing. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.