Clarification on what st. thomas aquinas meant and how it related to today's teaching?

“outward apparel should be consistent with the estate of the person, according to the general custom. Hence it is in itself sinful for a woman to wear man’s clothes, or vice versa; and it is expressly forbidden in the Law (Deuteronomy 22)…”

not quite the same as the church seems to teach today.

i also don’t have the context for it so that doesn’t really help either.

any ideas?

Angel, you have been posting about this for WEEKS. It is not healthy to fixate on something like this. When something troubles your faith in this way, you need spiritual counsel not the internet.

What Aquinas teaches is no different that what the Church teaches-- appropriate clothing is a function of station, custom, etc.

Please get some professional help from your local pastor. Nothing we say here will satisfy you, because you have made up a notion in your head of an anti-woman Church and are seeking out things that you believe support your premise.

IMHO, it becomes a near occasion of sin when we continue to try to seek out things like this, things that disturb us and make us doubt our faith.

I encourage you to be at peace with your femininity and with God who loves every being he has brought forth into existence.

BTW, that is an incomplete quotation of Aquinas (and keep in mind that Aquinas is a brilliant theologian, but not infallible and not the Magesterium) who said (in his day):

As stated in the foregoing Article, outward apparel should be consistent with the estate of the person, according to the general custom. Hence it is in itself sinful for a woman to wear man’s clothes, or vice versa; especially since this may be a cause of sensuous pleasure; and it is expressly forbidden in the Law (Dt. 22) because the Gentiles used to practice this change of attire for the purpose of idolatrous superstition. Nevertheless this may be done sometimes without sin on account of some necessity, either in order to hide oneself from enemies, or through lack of other clothes, or for some similar motive.

When you are cross dressing for arousal: can be sinful

When you are wearing attire normally worn by the other sex for other reasons: not sinful

Outward apparel should be consistent with the custom:

In the US, women wear pants made for women, and men wear pants made for men.

In Muslim countries women wear long skirts, and men wear robed attire also but they do not wear the other sex’s attire.

Now, stop looking for what is not there in Church teaching.

:thumbsup: AMEN!!

That should be clear. And aside from that all, men and women, are to dress modestly at all times, and act with modest bearing at all times, as though they were saints in the making. That should be clear. This what the Church has always taught.

Linus2nd

i never said the church was anti woman

and i’m not seeking anything out. i just keep coming across it for whatever reason.

thank you for for the rest of the quote though.

i did say i didn’t know the context so it could be different from what it appeared to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.