Classic movies you are just getting around to seeing.

I had started a similar thread I think a few years ago…

Here it is:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=880122

So to continue from that one.

I recently saw a few films that could be considered classic:

The Apartment. directed by Billy Wilder and starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacClaine. I was surprised how it balanced so nicely between being a comedy and a drama. I wasn’t very familiar with Shirley MacClaine’s earlier work, but I really liked her performance. Much better than Butterfield 8 that also took place in that time period, and in New York, even though Liz got the Oscar, the film was too melodramatic for my taste.

I also recently saw Baby Doll. It was written by Tennessee Williams and directed by Elia Kazan. I have the same question that Baby had, if Mr.Vaccaro would be returning.

Cries and Whispers is on demand on TCM, It’s directed by Bergman. From the clip I saw, It seems like a very intensely emotional film. I’m not sure if I’ll watch it yet.

A number of months ago, I watched Scenes from a Marriage but I was only able to find a version dubbed into Italian. So it was a twofer, watch a Bergman film and brush up on my Italian at the same time.

The Apartment is absolutely great. I just recently watched The Seven Year Itch and it was hilarious. If you liked The Apartment, the Odd Couple (the movie, not the show) with Jack Lemmon in it as well.

I really want to watch Citizen Kane, as I haven’t watched it yet.

I’m planning to see The Third Man. It has been shot in Vienna, one of my favorite cities so I’m very curious :slight_smile:

I liked The Third Man more than Citizen Kane.

My all-time favorite classic is High Noon. I didn’t watch it for a long time because I thought it was just another western. Was I ever wrong! I don’t know how many times I’ve watched it in the last 5 years or so, but at least 5 times, maybe twice that. :smiley:

It wasn’t a movie, but the best western TV series was Wanted: Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen. After borrowing the 1st season from the library, I bought the complete series - 94 episodes. Haven’t made it through all 94 episodes yet, but when I do, I’ll probably start over. Steve McQueen was a very compelling actor & personality. Not to mention good looking. :wink:

Throne of Blood(AKA Spider’s Web Castle) – Akira Kurosawa’s version of Macbeth.

Steve McQueen! He was really handsome, and a very good actor too. He died too young.

He was raised Catholic, too. Tho he didn’t stay - can’t blame him - his early life was pretty messed up.

I didn’t know he was Catholic, but I did know he had a troubled life.

I recently watched all of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. It was very good.

Also watched The Anatomy of a Murder. Good cast. There are a few scenes that might have been considered for very mature audiences at the time. Lee Remick, Jimmy Stewart and Ben Gazarra gave good performances.

I’ve seen just a few minutes here and there of that film. I’d like to see it. You are right, it’s definitely for mature audiences.

Adding:

*Wait Until Dark *with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin.

And not very classic, 1979, The In-Laws with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin.

My Dad really liked Peter Falk. I’m not sure if he ever saw this film, but I enjoyed it very much. So funny, interesting plot, great lines.

On a side note Alan Arkin does a very good New York accent by the way. He’s in both films. Both take place in New York, but his accent is different. I like that he paid attention to that. Often times NY accents are portrayed very “Brooklyn”.

We watched that recently - hadn’t remember how much swearing there is, but aside from that it’s very funny. Especially since the dictator looks a lot like a friend of ours. :wink:

I watched a few scenes last night again. The whole tsetse fly story was hysterical. But Alan Arkin’s facial expressions during the story, and then “I’ve been getting National Geographic for years…” to be interrupted by his daughter.

Also the chicken sandwich scene was very funny.

Saw It Happened One Night (1934)…well, the other night. Wasn’t a fan.

I’m a fan of Steve McQueen as well. I have the complete series of Wanted: Dead or Alive. I haven’t watched it in a while. Maybe I should. Anyway, speaking of Steve McQueen, I want to watch The Great Escape some time. Also The Magnificent Seven.

The Great Escape was on this past Monday, Memorial Day. It’s pretty long, so I didn’t get a chance to watch it. TCM has it on demand, so if I can break it down into a couple of viewings, I might watch it.

A while back I watched I Confess by Alfred Hitchcock. Probably one of the best films I’ve ever seen.

How appropriate that I found this topic today. I am visiting with niece (20) and nephews (18 and 16). Yesterday I agreed to watch The Interview with them if they would watch a movie of my choice, tonight.

Originally I was going to have them watch Mame. Without going into my thought process I then thought of Mr. Blandings builds his dream house. Now I’m thinking of Westside Story.

I know you all don’t know my family, but feel free to comment.

*Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans *(1927) - One of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

I like Mr Blandings. My favorite scene is when Mrs. Blandings picks out the paint colors and is very descriptive. Then the painter writes down “red”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.