Classical Music Advice

All you experts:
We are starting to build a classical library and wanted to get some suggestions on the ‘must have’s’.
Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Wow. Let me see if there is an easy way to make this kind of list and I will get back to you

There is just soooooo much, really that it could take a while to do manually.:slight_smile:

Here are some of my favorites with links to highly rated Cd’s

Bach: Goldberg Variations

Bach: Mass in B minor

Beethoven: 9th

Bruckner: 9th

Dvorak: 9th

Mahler: 1st

Mozart: Requiem

Mozart’s 25th (and other symphonies)

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

Saint-Saens: 3rd (Organ Symphony)

Schubert: 8th

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto 1/Rachmaninov PC 2

Tchaikovsky: 6th

here’s the great “98” list from our local classical station in seattle.
king.org/events/detail4.aspx

christmas go with Handels “Messiah”

also anytime vivaldi’s “the four seasons”

have fun.
:cool:

Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater
Palestrina: almost anything
Vivaldi’s Gloria
Messaien’ Vingt Regards sur L’Enfant Jesus
Byrd’s Mass for 4 Voices

I tell you this honestly. If you really embrace classical music you will start upon a journey of discovery. Your tastes will change as you discover music that stirs your soul. For my 13th birthday in (sigh, 1964) I recieved two 33 1/3 LP albums. One was Antal Dorati and the Minnepolis Orchestra playing Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture (with cannons) and the other was of Debussey’s La Mer.
From there, I went on to discovery Beethoven, then Mozart, then Bach. I fell in love with classical music.

My current selections at the office are - Gregorian Chant. I can get more work done listening to chant…It stills my soul and my mind and I can focus. Second choice, Baroque period music. It affects creativity. Third choice - Renaissance/Early Baroque - the secular/mundane and the religious. The dance music and lute music alone are wondrous and then you add the polyphony of the choirs for the sacred. And then you discover Cuban music for the church written during this period. Follow your ears!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.