Classical music during prayer?

The guidance counsleor at my school, who is also a religious brother, was talking to me about prayer. He reccomended that I put on some soft music while I pray. I tried it last night while praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, and I found it easier to meditate on Christ. My question is, is it ok to do this? Or are you supposed to talk to God in the silence?

-Jeanne

To be honest, I don’t see why God would object if it helps you pray better.

I think that it is most certainly alright. There is music at mass, is there not? Sometimes, meditative music can help us to quiet our mind. I occasionally use it and it helps quite a lot. Silence is a good thing to work toward, but do what you can. Praying in absolute silence can be a very difficult thing and I think that music is a step in that direction.

Jeanne,

First, may I ask you. who or what made you think that this might be wrong? There is nothing wrong in having music playing as you pray and mediate. As you do, I find it helpful. Sometimes silence works for me as well. While classical music is not a favorite of mine, I don’t mind it. Usually other types of instrumental music work as a backdrop. Are you aware that Pope John Paul II made a recording in 1999 with music?

Goodness’ sakes, YES! :slight_smile: Use whatever music helps draw you closer to Jesus. :thumbsup:

My. 02

If it is not a distraction and helps you pray, it’s fine.

In fact, there is some music that I liken to prayer itself – e.g., Mozart’s Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra, and, of course, Gregorian Chant.

I wasn’t sure if secular music was appropriate. I’ve been to adoration, and I know soft worship music is good during prayer, but I didn’t know about listening to Debussy, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven and such.

Mozart’s Concerto for clarinet is amazing. I also love the Requiem Mass, Clair De Lune, and Chopin’s works for piano for prayer.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. After all there’s the old saying “Pray as you can, not as you can’t”. I often play music in the background while I pray: Gregorian chant, Taizé chant, classical music, even Russian chant. It helps me settle down for prayer. If it helps you, why not?

I wasn’t sure if secular music was appropriate.

I sometimes find the classical music, especially something like guitar or harp music, is less distracting than the chant because sometimes I’ll notice a really beautiful chant and suddenly want to find out more about it. The classical music is less distracting that way. :slight_smile:

Jeanne,

Thank you for responding. Now since you’re talking about adoration and secular music, truthfully I’m not sure. I would think it would be okay as long as it’s appropriate. There are a lot of secular songs and music that have been written with a religious theme in them. Let me see if I can think of some. Maybe the other posters can think better than I can. My mind is drawing a blank right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.