classical music

well recently I just got into classical music. I picked up my first 2 cds from amazon they are:
vilvaldi, four seasons
Tchaikovsky, the nutcracker

wonder if anyone else is a fan here? I'm also looking for other suggestions later on to add to my collection, I know Bach, Mozart are must haves also Beathovean.

[quote="wiggbuggie, post:1, topic:276307"]
well recently I just got into classical music. I picked up my first 2 cds from amazon they are:
vilvaldi, four seasons

wonder if anyone else is a fan here? I'm also looking for other suggestions later on to add to my collection, I know Bach, Mozart are must haves also Beathovean.

[/quote]

Definitely gotta recommend WFMU's classical music show (available online.) I didn't realize they even had a classical music show until I was listening over the weekend:
wfmu.org/playlists/HP

I would bet money you'll find some more 'must-haves' on their playlists. :thumbsup:

vilvaldi, four seasons

[/quote]

puts on annoying music snob hat

Vivaldi is Baroque (1600ish to 1750ish) period and Tchaikovsky is from the Romantic (1800ish to 1900) period.

The Classical period is from about 1750ish to early 1800s. Mozart, Schubert, Clementi, etc.

takes off annoying music snob hat

Seriously, that's great that you are getting into older music. There is a richness and dept that is absent from modern popular music. I recommend classical.com for a healthy sampling of tracks. Bach is an all-time favorite. So is Mozart and Vaughan Williams.

vilvaldi, four seasons

[/quote]

I would recommend listening to classical music station. Here mpr streams its classical station. This will introduce you to lots of different classical music, and you can learn what you like and dislike and buy accordingly.

Like me, I enjoy baroque, classical, some romantic, but am not a fan of marches or overly bombastic band pieces like Wagner. I really enjoy choral and organ piece, and have been introduced to some favorites over the radio. (Like Mozarts requiem, a vocal quartet called "anonymous 4," Chopin's piano works, and Max Brook's Scottish Fantasy). Opera is so-so and I can take it or leave it, and some 20th century orchestral music is not my favorite. Oh, but I really like the 20th century composer Arvo Part, (and Ralph Vaughn Williams in general and his "Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis.").

I am a double major at a music school, and have been passionate about classical music since I can remember. I have studied, performed, listened to, and written it for years.

I eat, drink, and breathe the stuff.

Needless to say, I think I will be visiting this thread often! :D

The Four Seasons and The Nutcracker are two extremely famous works, and radically different in style (more than a century and a half separate the dates of composition).

Let me know what you think of them, and I would be delighted to help recommend further listening! :)

I have loved classical music all my life, played the violin in college orchestra and now am learning the pipe organ, there is so much to listen to!

Personally, I'm not a Bach fan, but he is important. I love Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev (his Romeo and Juliet is my favouite!), Beethoven (his 7th Symphony is my favourite), for organ works Guilmant, Widor, Vierne. I also like Stravinsky (Firebird my favourite), Mussorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition, Night on Bald Mountain), I like Mozart, Puccini, Vaughn-Williams, .... there is very little I don't enjoy.

A good source for organ works is pipedreams.publicradio.org/ there's the music and history to go with it and it's free!

[quote="Elisabeth51, post:6, topic:276307"]
I have loved classical music all my life, played the violin in college orchestra and now am learning the pipe organ, there is so much to listen to!

Personally, I'm not a Bach fan, but he is important. I love Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev (his Romeo and Juliet is my favouite!), Beethoven (his 7th Symphony is my favourite), for organ works Guilmant, Widor, Vierne. I also like Stravinsky (Firebird my favourite), Mussorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition, Night on Bald Mountain), I like Mozart, Puccini, Vaughn-Williams, .... there is very little I don't enjoy.

A good source for organ works is pipedreams.publicradio.org/ there's the music and history to go with it and it's free!

[/quote]

ah pipe dreams. I took some pipe organ lessons in college (my senior year) and got to meet Michael Barone.:thumbsup: He started broadcasting out of my University. Did you know you can go back and listen to old programs.

~snicker~

Ach! Such a snob. :wink:

Some advice I have is that “classical” music can be a bit overwhelming at first.
SO
-Read a bit about it first,
-listen to it at least four times (without falling asleep)
-Read about it again
-Listen to it again
ONLY then, move on to the next piece.

There is SO MUCH going on that we simply can’t intuit from just listening.
Also, it takes a bit to cognisize what we’re taking in.

If you have a favorite instrument, you might want to start there, rather then trying to take in a whole symphony.

Personally, I could listen to violin or (better yet) viola, all day.

-Carol

To correct the self-described music snob above, the OP did, in fact, use the term "classical music" correctly.

Baroque, Classical and Romantic are periods within the broader genre of "classical music."

Music need not be from the Classical period to be classical music. It is not wrong to refer to music from the Baroque or Romantic periods as classical music.

I would reccommend Mozart's operas to OP. Le nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni, Die Zauberflote and La clemenza di Tito are some of my favorites. Mozart wrote the greatest operas but there are a few other good ones out there worth listening to as well. Verdi's opera "Rigoletto" also has a really great tune that you've probably heard before.

If you can, go see an opera live. It's great.

I actually like Wagner's Under the Double Eagle High. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Dvorak's Humoresque, of course Ave Maria. I also like operatic music like Con Te Partiro sung by Andrea Bocelli.

[quote="stanczyk, post:9, topic:276307"]
To correct the self-described music snob above, the OP did, in fact, use the term "classical music" correctly.

Baroque, Classical and Romantic are periods within the broader genre of "classical music."

Music need not be from the Classical period to be classical music. It is not wrong to refer to music from the Baroque or Romantic periods as classical music.

I would reccommend Mozart's operas to OP. Le nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni, Die Zauberflote and La clemenza di Tito are some of my favorites. Mozart wrote the greatest operas but there are a few other good ones out there worth listening to as well. Verdi's opera "Rigoletto" also has a really great tune that you've probably heard before.

If you can, go see an opera live. It's great.

[/quote]

But, I would reiterate: read about it first. Otherwise, you will likely be lost and end up hating the thing.

Opera *must *be viewed live. Or just listen to it.

Puccini has some really fantastic material also. I mean, I defy anyone to not feel their heart being ripped from their body when "Nesum Dorma" (from Turandot) is sung by a pro. ... Or "Un be di " (from "Madam Butterfly). Gah!

amazon.com/Classical-Music-Dummies-David-Pogue/dp/0764550098

www.exploringmusic.org

I love the book Classical Music for Dummies and the radio program Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin. If you're a student, see if your school has a relationship with the local symphony, orchestra, opera, etc. They often offer same-day tickets for a reduced rate to students.

I favor American composers like Gershwin, Moller, Pachelbel, Ives, Copland, Porter, Sousa, and Bernstein. I also like the dances. Elisabeth mentioned Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights. There's also Brahms' Hungarian Dances, Russian dances, and other folk-inspired pieces that are so much fun.

If you excuse the 3-letter word in their title, this website has a playlist of 100 top classical pieces.

[quote="jilly4ski, post:7, topic:276307"]
ah pipe dreams. I took some pipe organ lessons in college (my senior year) and got to meet Michael Barone.:thumbsup: He started broadcasting out of my University. Did you know you can go back and listen to old programs.

[/quote]

Oh cool!:thumbsup: oooh, old programs, I'll have to look--listen! :D

I always wanted to learn, always loved the sound of the pipe organ, but never seemed to have the opportunity, I thought of switching instruments in college, but got discouraged about doing that. It wasn't until I moved to where I am now that the parish organist realized my interest and started teaching me, maybe it helped that he didn't start playing until college and had no piano experience prior, I don't know, but he opened the door and I've happily walked through. I LOVE it!

Also check your local library for recordings. :thumbsup:

I recommend listening to a lot of different composers' works and making a decision about what you like.

I love Bach, but my husband can't stand his music--says that it's too frantic and jumpy.

I love Ravel.

A few weeks ago I attended an organ concert by Felix Hell, an absolutely outstanding organ virtuoso. He was playing a huge, beautiful Fisk tracker organ in a church with great acoustics. There's no substitute for experiencing a well played organ live----the air seems to shimmer and vibrate on those amazing low notes.

I love many classical composers, but if I had to choose a favorite it would be Bach.

[quote="fermat, post:3, topic:276307"]
puts on annoying music snob hat

Vivaldi is Baroque (1600ish to 1750ish) period and Tchaikovsky is from the Romantic (1800ish to 1900) period.

The Classical period is from about 1750ish to early 1800s. Mozart, Schubert, Clementi, etc.

takes off annoying music snob hat

Seriously, that's great that you are getting into older music. There is a richness and dept that is absent from modern popular music. I recommend classical.com for a healthy sampling of tracks. Bach is an all-time favorite. So is Mozart and Vaughan Williams.

[/quote]

lol, yes well im still new to this type of music so I gotta read up on the vocabulary and terms used in this type of music. I know there are different styles like symphony, waltz, ballet, orchestra then there are terms like alegro, presto :confused: And like one poster mentioned all of these can be "classical music"

[quote="AbideWithMe, post:16, topic:276307"]
A few weeks ago I attended an organ concert by Felix Hell, an absolutely outstanding organ virtuoso. He was playing a huge, beautiful Fisk tracker organ in a church with great acoustics. There's no substitute for experiencing a well played organ live----the air seems to shimmer and vibrate on those amazing low notes.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: True, live is awesome!

At least one of the internet radio services has a “Classical Music 101” channel.

[quote="CDB1718, post:12, topic:276307"]
amazon.com/Classical-Music-Dummies-David-Pogue/dp/0764550098

www.exploringmusic.org

I love the book Classical Music for Dummies and the radio program Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin. If you're a student, see if your school has a relationship with the local symphony, orchestra, opera, etc. They often offer same-day tickets for a reduced rate to students.

I favor American composers like Gershwin, Moller, Pachelbel, Ives, Copland, Porter, Sousa, and Bernstein. I also like the dances. Elisabeth mentioned Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights. There's also Brahms' Hungarian Dances, Russian dances, and other folk-inspired pieces that are so much fun.

If you excuse the 3-letter word in their title, this website has a playlist of 100 top classical pieces.

[/quote]

thanks that site will help me in searching for some material :) I really like the march song from the nutcracker suite I have, It's great that so many movies,commercials etc use classical music.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.