Clean air for the family?

Now that we have a baby, I am even more concerned about indoor pollution and allergies. Especially since we have pets and a history of allergies in the family. What do you do to help keep your air clean?

Do you use an expensive filter in your furnace? What about air cleaners like HEPA or ionizers? Do you get your furnace cleaned regularily? Does it matter what company you go through? Any other tips (other than being a clean freak which just isn’t possible right now…dust is a decoration around here:rolleyes: )?

Malia

When I moved into my new apartment, I was sneezing 24 hours a day – either because of the trees outside or because of cockroach dust inside. I bought this air purifier: amazon.com/Alen-A350-Air-Purifier/dp/B0009F8ONG . (There are other places to buy it besides Amazon). It’s expensive, but tests show that it does a far better job of cleaning the air than the air purifiers that you’ll find at Target and other stores.

Shortly after I bought the air purifier, I wasn’t sneezing anymore. I’m not sure if it was coincidence, but I don’t really care, as long as the problem doesn’t return…

Beware of the “ozone” or “ionizer” air purifiers that many stores will sell! The smell of the ozone may mask odors in the air, but ozone is harmful to the lungs. The purifier I linked to does have an ionizer function, but it can easily be turned off.

we have an air cleaner/filter on our central air/furnace that works really well we also have a one of these in my eldest sons room as he has really bad allergies 8 months out of the year…
allergybuyersclub.com/all-blueair-air-purifiers.html

Thanks Karin… I love how the first one says for bedrooms up to 679 sq feet, lol. Our master bedroom is about 140 sq feet. Their lower model is for “small” bedrooms up to 200 sq feet. I guess ours is a mini-bedroom:p.

What made you choose this brand?..there are so many air cleaners/purifiers out there that it is really overwhelming. Do you find it helps your son a lot?

Malia

Thank you

We have a good furnace filter (hepa rated) that we change pretty regularly. We also have a large room Honeywell air cleaner. We mostly use it when my MIL visits as she has asthma and my version of cleaning and hers is different. :wink: we also have a cat and are thinking of getting a dog.

I have read/heard that pet ownership can actually help a child NOT develop allergies. Also, keeping your house too clean and not exposing your child to germs can make them unable to fight off germs. You have to use the immune system for it to work properly. Of course, it could be that I hate cleaning and these are good excuses! :smiley:

Here are some links (so you don’t think I’m too crazy!):
webmd.com/content/Article/36/1728_55562.htm
pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1448690

Jennifer

It got the best independt ratings out there…that is why I chose it…and yeah we had a cheapy HEPA cleaner from Target and it did diddly…this one works GREAT and has made a difference for my son…very quite and easy to care for.
If your interested here is a bit more info blueairstore.com/10-reasons.shtml

Can you recommend any websites for me to check out studies and research etc?

Malia

sure…
try these sights out…
allergybuyersclub.com/
blueairstore.com/10-reasons.shtml
allergycontrol.com
air-purifiers-america.com

welcome…hope it helps in your quest:)

Remember that the 679 sq feet is the best case scenario, with the purifier on the highest setting. Some air purifiers are very noisy on the highest setting – I don’t think I would be able to sleep with mine blowing at full speed! Also, if you have obstructed airflow in the room, you might need a more powerful fan.

actually my son has his aircleaner on high most nights and it is very quite…

I have a really good vacuum cleaner and some potted plants. I think I remember reading somewhere that rubber tree plants are particularly good with cleaning the air.

get a radon test especially if you have a basement, get a CO dectector and smoke detectors. Keep them operational.

most harmful fumes come into the home in the form of products and furnishings–insectisides, formedehyde, strong cleansers, carpet, furniture, textiles etc. Anything new or drycleaned, air it outside first. HEPA filters on the furnace, clean your heat/AC system and ducts every year, clean chimneys if you have them and install glass doors if you intend to use your fireplace (will save money too). You do not need strong chemicals to clean, and they should never be in a house with children. Clean with basics like vinegar, mild soaps and detergent. Washing soda and borax have lye and are extremely dangerous. If your water is that hard, get a water softener.

Put your coat on, and leave the windows open for a while.

Why not just leave your house alone? Unless your baby has known immune deficiencies (family history isn’t applicable yet) why spent the money?

If the baby has allergies, they’ll show up and DD/DS will either build immunities to them, or you can take steps at that point.

I have read/heard that pet ownership can actually help a child NOT develop allergies. Also, keeping your house too clean and not exposing your child to germs can make them unable to fight off germs. You have to use the immune system for it to work properly. Of course, it could be that I hate cleaning and these are good excuses!

Creating a “micro-climate” in your house doesn’t solve anything… you eventually WILL go outside!

All this “anti-bacterial” stuff and hyper-cleanliness is actually weakening our immune systems by not letting us get a cold or minor infection, etc. (exercising our immune system), and promoting hybrid strains of “bugs” that are resistant to anti-biotics.

I not saying putting your child in peril here, just let him/her be a kid and get a cold or scrape every once in a while and not medi-vac them to the E.R.!

so you equate using an aircleaner due to severe airborne allergies as not good???
well you tell that to my son who before the air cleaner, allergy shots and medicines could not open his eyes in the morning they where sealed shut with gook due to allergies or not being able to breath becuase there was so much pollen and other allergins in the air.

Karin… re-read carefully…

It’s a baby… they don’t know yet… before dropping $$$ on super-vacuums and filtration systems (which aren’t in place now from what I read) give it some time.

If symptoms do show up, then start taking action (as you have;) )… just don’t immediately assume your baby is susceptible and turn your house into a surgical suite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.