Cleaning Hands after Communion

Yesterday I received Communion in my hand since I do that to avoid spreading any germs or viruses by the mouth method, and what I did is that I washed my hands when I got home with water to hopefully clear away any particles that remained of the Eucharist so it wouldn’t be spread. I started freaking out though, and I don’t know if this is my OCD or not, but I was wondering if this was something bad. I was wanting to do that in order to not descrate the Eucharist, but now I worry.

And now I’m worrying about anything I may have touched after receiving it. Do I have to wash or lick (yuck) anything I may have touched as well, or are the particles in question actually visible pieces of the Eucharist?

The understanding of the Church that I have heard is that when particles of the Eucharist are reduced to where they no longer appear as recognizeable pieces of the host, then they no longer contain the real presence of Jesus in them. No extraordinary measures need be taken to gather up and/or consume unrecognizeable particles.

I actually use a hand sanitizer BEFORE receiving the Eucharist so my hands will be as clean as possible to receive Our Lord;)

You know you have OCD.

So think about it.

Do you see other people licking things they have touched? No. So do you think it is a normal practice to go back and wash or lick anything you have touched since receiving? Of course not.

Right after you receive the Host, look at your hands. If there are any visible pieces? If not, you are through. If so, consume the visible pieces. Then you are through.

Now, think about the Host you receive. It isn’t crumbly or falling apart right? Why would you think that it is dropping pieces everywhere?

If you worry so immensely about it why don’t you receive communion on the tongue?
Unhygienic to recieve on the tongue, How so?
I myself finds it much groser to recieve it by hand AFTER the handshake of peace has run its course at the entire church.
How can I know if any of the people I shuck hands with washed their hands after they went to the restroom?
Nah, Im pretty sure that the father has the cleanest hands in the entire church when he administer communion.

But, Yes OCD is what this is all about.
As a previous poster has already said, do you see others licking their hands at church?

Yours in Jesus and Mary

• MarianCatholic

All the people who administer communion at my church cleanse their hands with sanitiser beforehand, which I think is a very good idea. The priest cleanses his hands in the usual way.

This^^.

If you receive on the tongue, you don’t have to worry about particles so much. :shrug:

I am sorry you suffer from OCD. Please seek professional treatment for your OCD. You need help, and we cannot offer that sort of help here.

[quote=CruceSignati] Quote:

Originally Posted by MarianCatholic

If you worry so immensely about it why don’t you receive communion on the tongue?
Unhygienic to recieve on the tongue, How so?
I myself finds it much groser to recieve it by hand AFTER the handshake of peace has run its course at the entire church.
How can I know if any of the people I shuck hands with washed their hands after they went to the restroom?
Nah, Im pretty sure that the father has the cleanest hands in the entire church when he administer communion.

This^^.

If you receive on the tongue, you don’t have to worry about particles so much.
[/quote]

I’ll second this. Communion on the tongue is the ordinary and preferred method of the Church.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Simply receiving on the tongue will not help someone with OCD.

A person with OCD will then worry about other things related to receiving on the tongue. Did I open my mouth wide enough. Did the priest’s finger touch my tongue. Did I swallow all of the Host. Ad infinitum.

A person with OCD, must deal with the OCD.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.