Cleaning on Sundays

Hello,

It’s my understanding that cleaning on Sundays is frowned upon because it’s a day of rest, and let’s be real most people don’t enjoy cleaning. If my roommate who hates cleaning always cleans on Sunday and could clean on other days but doesn’t, to what extent should I be of help in the cleaning process? Me telling him it’s Sunday and he shouldn’t be cleaning is probably not going to be very helpful since he’s not a very religious person.

Looking forward to your response! :cool:

Don’t help at all. The Sabbath is to be kept sacred and cleaning-free.

Or you could obey and imitate Jesus.

No servile work on Sunday. Servile work could mean shampooing the carpets or scrubbing floors or any deep cleaning project. You can keep Sunday holy and still do light housework! Many people work and have yo do things that day. For me, I don’t vacuum on Sunday, but I may wash a few loads of laundry, clean the bathroom etc. today for example, I taught. CCD class this morning and will lector at the 5pm Mass this evening so tomorrow will probably have to do a few things. Remember, Sunday was made for man, not man for Sunday’s. I live in a Mormon community and many won’t even watch a football game on Sunday!

YOU clean on another day if it bugs you so much. You are roommates right?
Keep the place clean during the week and you won’t need to worry about it.

even traditional servile work could be done out of charity on sundays, in the past, at least that’s my understanding

i.e. go over to grandma’s and scrub her floors because she has a hard time doing it herself. it may be the only day of the week someone could help her with that

and a lot of what used to be servile work simply isn’t anymore, because of modern technology. going to haul water from the river to do laundray is really not the same thing as throwing a few things in the washing machine. that’s why the church simply doesn’t even use the term servile labour anymore

If it’s possible to do some cleaning on other days, then do it then. With a roommate situation maybe you could have a list of cleaning tasks that each of you will do and you can do yours on another day than Sunday. I wouldn’t consider cleaning to be heavy duty work, though, unless you are doing a major cleaning like some people do in the Spring.

Hi,

It’s kinda like he cleans his stuff and I clean my stuff arrangement. I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be satisfied with my attempt at cleaning his stuff, either.

If you roommate is not religious, I would leave him be. Let him clean when he can. Best to lead by example.

Catechism 2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.122

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health. [INDENT] The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124
2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this "assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven."125

121 Gen 2:2.
122 Cf. GS 67 § 3.
123 Cf. CIC, can. 120.
124 St. Augustine, De civ. Dei 19,19:PL 41,647.
125 Heb 12:22-23.
[/INDENT]CIC Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.
Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and aVairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

I would refrain from cleaning on Sunday and instead help out on another day.

Clean up on Saturday.

I used to have to clean on Sundays after the retreats left. there was no other day to do it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.