cleaning the chalice

This may have been asked before but I couldn’t find a definite answer when I did a search.

1. Are extraordinary ministers of holy communion allowed to clean the chalice after communion.I know deacons and acolytes(alter servers ?) are.

2)Are extraordinary ministers of holy communion allowed to retrieve and put back the chalice in the tabernackel?

Hello

At the present moment we are allowed to clean the Chalice but things may be altered in future.

But we are permitted to take the host for the housebound from the tabernacle, but I prefer the priest to do this.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

[quote=FrankvT]This may have been asked before but I couldn’t find a definite answer when I did a search.

1. Are extraordinary ministers of holy communion allowed to clean the chalice after communion.I know deacons and acolytes(alter servers ?) are.

2)Are extraordinary ministers of holy communion allowed to retrieve and put back the chalice in the tabernackel?
[/quote]

I believe that according to the GIRM or RS EMHC may assist the priest or deacon if necessary. They may also assist the priest who is to consume the remaining Blood of Christ after Holy Communion if necessary.

Returning the Blessed Sacrament to the tabernacle is the proper task of the priest or deacon. It they cannot because of physical limitations then an EMHC may assist.

catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/LawText/LawIndex/43

Check out this response from the catholic liturgy website regarding the purification of vessels.

[quote=FrankvT]This may have been asked before but I couldn’t find a definite answer when I did a search.

[/quote]

Deacons, acolytes and priests are the only ones who should be purifying the vessels at the altar. After mass, I believe an EMHC may purify vessels in the sacristy.

matthew

[quote=marty1818]Deacons, acolytes and priests are the only ones who should be purifying the vessels at the altar. After mass, I believe an EMHC may purify vessels in the sacristy.

matthew
[/quote]

The remaining Blood of Christ should be consummed at the altar in clear view of all by the Priest, Deacon, Instituted Acolyte and then if necessary by EMHC.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The remaining Blood of Christ should be consummed at the altar in clear view of all by the Priest, Deacon, Instituted Acolyte and then if necessary by EMHC.
[/quote]

Correct, however, consuming the remaining Precious Blood and purifying the vessels are two different things.

matthew

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.