Cleansing Prayer

Does anyone pray for the cleansing of their family bloodlines? In other words, do you pray that your bloodlines be cleansed of curses, evil, and addictions? Please respond with a positive attitude and add insight if you have experience with petitions as these. Thank you.

[quote=Bob Baran]Does anyone pray for the cleansing of their family bloodlines? In other words, do you pray that your bloodlines be cleansed of curses, evil, and addictions? Please respond with a positive attitude and add insight if you have experience with petitions as these. Thank you.
[/quote]

Hi Bob, I do believe in generational curses. Its unfortunate but it does happen that sins are handed down through generations. But I do Have Good News for You. Through prayer and fasting these curses can be broken through the precious blood of Jesus. This is a spiritual battle and I would suggest you seek help in this process.Your pastor may be a good starting point.God Bless you as you seek His healing Hand. :wink:

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Bob, I do believe in generational curses. Its unfortunate but it does happen that sins are handed down through generations. But I do Have Good News for You. Through prayer and fasting these curses can be broken through the precious blood of Jesus. This is a spiritual battle and I would suggest you seek help in this process.Your pastor may be a good starting point.God Bless you as you seek His healing Hand. :wink:
[/quote]

Could genetic dispositions such as Anxiety Disorder fall into this category? God Bless, Annunciata:)

[quote=Annunciata]Could genetic dispositions such as Anxiety Disorder fall into this category? God Bless, Annunciata:)
[/quote]

Hi Ann, It could have. Did any of your ancestors have this same problem? This also could be just you. I do know anxiety is not from God.One of the works of the enemy. :eek: God Bless.p/s Do you have panic attacks? :eek:

I had an aunt, and recently a cousin (the aunt’s daughter) who both committed suicide. A friend told me we could offer a mass for the intention of breaking the spirit of suicide and despair in their family, which we did, and we also continue to pray for the family. There are many factors which contribute to suicide (emotional, physical, spiritual), but to have the Hope of the Lord means not despairing, so I believe prayer and offering masses are very important in these instances, as in other situations of anxiety, depression, etc.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Ann, It could have. Did any of your ancestors have this same problem? This also could be just you. I do know anxiety is not from God.One of the works of the enemy. :eek: God Bless.p/s Do you have panic attacks? :eek:
[/quote]

Yes, my ancestors did have this disposition. Not all of my siblings have it. It’s called a chemical thing in the brain where too much of the hormone or whatever it’s called is released …“the fight or flight syndrome” thingy. And yes I have had severe panic attacks in the past. Only in the past few years since I have had a deepening in the Faith have they disipated. I can control them most of the time…sometimes I need medication.
I have had all kinds of counseling spiritual and psychiatric and “intercessory prayer” (hands on) if you know what I mean.
The only “words” ever received were “St. Paul’s Affliction”.
Annunciata:)

[quote=Annunciata]Yes, my ancestors did have this disposition. Not all of my siblings have it. It’s called a chemical thing in the brain where too much of the hormone or whatever it’s called is released …“the fight or flight syndrome” thingy. And yes I have had severe panic attacks in the past. Only in the past few years since I have had a deepening in the Faith have they disipated. I can control them most of the time…sometimes I need medication.
I have had all kinds of counseling spiritual and phyciatric and “intercessory prayer” (hands on) if you know what I mean.
The only “words” ever received were “St. Paul’s Affliction”.
Annunciata:)
[/quote]

Ann, Ill lift you up tonight at our intercessary prayer meeting. There is no distance in the spiritual realm so I know you will be recieving His healing power for I am believing it right now before it even takes place. Be ready to recieve It and claim it in Jesus name.God Bless. :thumbsup:

Here is Father Hampsch’s web page.

claretiantapeministry.org/

“St. Paul’s Affliction?” :hmmm:

Would that be the thorn in his flesh and torments from the devil?

[quote=johnq]Here is Father Hampsch’s web page.

claretiantapeministry.org/

“St. Paul’s Affliction?” :hmmm:

Would that be the thorn in his flesh and torments from the devil?
[/quote]

thanks interesting site. 2 Corinthians: 12, 8-10:
8"Three times I begged the Lord that this might leave me.
9He said to me, ‘My grace is enough for you, for in weakness power reaches perfection.’ and so I willingly boast of my weaknesses instead, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10Therefore I am content with weakness, with mistreatment, with distress, with persecutions and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for when I am powerless, it is then that I am strong."

[quote=Bob Baran]Does anyone pray for the cleansing of their family bloodlines? In other words, do you pray that your bloodlines be cleansed of curses, evil, and addictions? Please respond with a positive attitude and add insight if you have experience with petitions as these. Thank you.
[/quote]

Bob, I’ve never heard of such a thing before. Hope you’ll give me credit for responding with a positive attitude if I say that I’m skeptical, but am curious enough to ask you to expand a little bit more on what you mean by “curses, evil & addictions.”

I would have to have a lot more information to reply, it sounds a bit like Mormons baptizing the dead to me, and the idea of having to invoke protection against curses and spells seems to combine superstition with proper regard for the power of the Eucharist.

A priest gave me this prayer and advised me to say it for 60 days, which I did. I was concerned about hereditary tendencies because there have been three suicides in my family, my grandfather, a cousin and an uncle of my husband.

Prayer For Healing The Family Tree

Heavenly Father, I come before You as Your child, in great need of Your help; I have physical health needs, emotional needs, spiritual needs, and interpersonal needs. Many of my problems have been caused by my own failures, neglect and sinfulness, for which I humbly beg Your forgiveness, Lord. But I also ask You to forgive the sins of my ancestors whose failures have left their effects on me in the form of unwanted tendencies, behavior patterns and defects in body, mind and spirit. Heal me. Lord, of all these disorders.

With Your help, I sincerely forgive everyone, especially living or dead members of my family tree, who have directly offended me or my loved ones in any way, or those whose sins have resulted on our present suffering and disorders, in the Name of Your divine Son, Jesus, and in the power of His Holy Spirit, I ask you, Father, to deliver me and my entire family tree from the influence of the evil one. Free all living and dead members of my family tree, including those in adoptive relationships, and those in extended family relationships, from every contaminating form of bondage. By Your loving concern for us, heavenly Father and by the shed Blood of Your precious Son, Jesus, I beg You to extend Your blessing to me and all living and deceased relatives. Heal every negative effect transmitted through all past generations, and prevent such negative effects in future generations of my family tree.

I symbolically place the Cross of Jesus over the head of each person in my family tree, and between each generation; I ask You to let the cleansing Blood of Jesus purify the blood lines in my family lineage. Set Your protective angels to encamp around us, and permit Archangel Raphael, the patron of healing, to administer Your divine healing power to all of us, even in areas of genetic disability. Give power to our family members’ guardian angels to heal, protect, guide and encourage each of us in all our needs. Let Your healing power be released to this very moment and let it continue as long as Your sovereignty and generosity permits.

In our family tree, Lord, replace all bondage with a holy bonding in family love, and let there be an ever deeper bonding with, You, Lord, by the Holy Spirit to Your Son, Jesus. Let the family of the Holy Trinity pervade our family with its tender, warm, loving presence, so that our family may recognize and manifest that love in all our relationships. All of our unknown needs we include with this petition that we pray in Jesus’ precious Name. Amen.
(Fr. John H. Hampsch, C,M.F.)

If you think that prayer is long, the priest actually gave me two others; one dealing more specifically with spells, curses, hexes, voodoo,etc. I said them all.

[left]For what it’s worth as my witness, I was part of a healing ministry for a long time and many wonderful things were accomplished through prayer for inner healing. I experienced inner healing through such prayer.[/left]

Joanna

[quote=StephanieC]Bob, I’ve never heard of such a thing before. Hope you’ll give me credit for responding with a positive attitude if I say that I’m skeptical, but am curious enough to ask you to expand a little bit more on what you mean by “curses, evil & addictions.”
[/quote]

I am not skeptical because my wife and I knew a devout group of people who prayed just as Bob described. We don’t use the prayers ourselves, nor have we done any research on it (or plan to.)

We are always being blessed one way or another. A priest can come to my house and bless it with holy water. I suppose a family tree can probably also be blessed some way or other.

Alan

[quote=StephanieC]Bob, I’ve never heard of such a thing before. Hope you’ll give me credit for responding with a positive attitude if I say that I’m skeptical, but am curious enough to ask you to expand a little bit more on what you mean by “curses, evil & addictions.”
[/quote]

Stephanie,

I attended a Lenten mission ten or more years ago and the topic was on forgiveness. One of the areas that we prayed about was “cleansing our family bloodlines from curses, which could as little as someone telling you “to go to hell”, or saying ___damn you! As we were told, an action like this could create problems for the person that said it and their descendants. The affects could be as I said inherited from one generation to other. This is not something new; Holy Scripture talks about curses from generation to generation. I hope that this short explanation helps.

[quote=Joanna]A priest gave me this prayer and advised me to say it for 60 days, which I did. I was concerned about hereditary tendencies because there have been three suicides in my family, my grandfather, a cousin and an uncle of my husband.

Prayer For Healing The Family Tree

Heavenly Father, I come before You as Your child, in great need of Your help; I have physical health needs, emotional needs, spiritual needs, and interpersonal needs. Many of my problems have been caused by my own failures, neglect and sinfulness, for which I humbly beg Your forgiveness, Lord. But I also ask You to forgive the sins of my ancestors whose failures have left their effects on me in the form of unwanted tendencies, behavior patterns and defects in body, mind and spirit. Heal me. Lord, of all these disorders.

With Your help, I sincerely forgive everyone, especially living or dead members of my family tree, who have directly offended me or my loved ones in any way, or those whose sins have resulted on our present suffering and disorders, in the Name of Your divine Son, Jesus, and in the power of His Holy Spirit, I ask you, Father, to deliver me and my entire family tree from the influence of the evil one. Free all living and dead members of my family tree, including those in adoptive relationships, and those in extended family relationships, from every contaminating form of bondage. By Your loving concern for us, heavenly Father and by the shed Blood of Your precious Son, Jesus, I beg You to extend Your blessing to me and all living and deceased relatives. Heal every negative effect transmitted through all past generations, and prevent such negative effects in future generations of my family tree.

I symbolically place the Cross of Jesus over the head of each person in my family tree, and between each generation; I ask You to let the cleansing Blood of Jesus purify the blood lines in my family lineage. Set Your protective angels to encamp around us, and permit Archangel Raphael, the patron of healing, to administer Your divine healing power to all of us, even in areas of genetic disability. Give power to our family members’ guardian angels to heal, protect, guide and encourage each of us in all our needs. Let Your healing power be released to this very moment and let it continue as long as Your sovereignty and generosity permits.

In our family tree, Lord, replace all bondage with a holy bonding in family love, and let there be an ever deeper bonding with, You, Lord, by the Holy Spirit to Your Son, Jesus. Let the family of the Holy Trinity pervade our family with its tender, warm, loving presence, so that our family may recognize and manifest that love in all our relationships. All of our unknown needs we include with this petition that we pray in Jesus’ precious Name. Amen.
(Fr. John H. Hampsch, C,M.F.)

If you think that prayer is long, the priest actually gave me two others; one dealing more specifically with spells, curses, hexes, voodoo,etc. I said them all.

[left]For what it’s worth as my witness, I was part of a healing ministry for a long time and many wonderful things were accomplished through prayer for inner healing. I experienced inner healing through such prayer.[/left]

Joanna
[/quote]

Thanks Joanna

I’ve heard that the Kennedy clan has a curse from way back. Just think of all the terrible things that have happened to that family.

Blessings,
Shannin

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Ann, Ill lift you up tonight at our intercessary prayer meeting. There is no distance in the spiritual realm so I know you will be recieving His healing power for I am believing it right now before it even takes place. Be ready to recieve It and claim it in Jesus name.God Bless. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

We have to remember to include “Thy will be done” in all our prayers. It may not be the right time for physical healing, or someone may be in more need of spiritual healing. I mention this only because Our Lord, in His Infinite Wisdom, does not always act as we think He should (such as physical healing) but will always answer prayer in the way that it is best for our souls.

Many of the apostles suffered much during their lives, and Our Lord did not remove their afflictions. Through their suffering, however, they learned to enter into the passion of Jesus, and to offer their sufferings to God, through Jesus, for the salvation of souls. For some, this is part of their mission on earth.

So don’t be discouraged if others are praying for healing and it doesn’t come to you. Trust in Our Lord that He will always do what is best for us, His children.

[quote=Didi]We have to remember to include “Thy will be done” in all our prayers. It may not be the right time for physical healing, or someone may be in more need of spiritual healing. I mention this only because Our Lord, in His Infinite Wisdom, does not always act as we think He should (such as physical healing) but will always answer prayer in the way that it is best for our souls.

Many of the apostles suffered much during their lives, and Our Lord did not remove their afflictions. Through their suffering, however, they learned to enter into the passion of Jesus, and to offer their sufferings to God, through Jesus, for the salvation of souls. For some, this is part of their mission on earth.

So don’t be discouraged if others are praying for healing and it doesn’t come to you. Trust in Our Lord that He will always do what is best for us, His children.
[/quote]

Hi Didi, Part of the problem with many christians is that they dont know how to pray and they dont know Gods will. There are many of Gods promises in Scripture and if we take those pieces of scripture and apply to our prayers in faith healing will take place. Do you think Gods will is that we be inflicted with disease? Not according to His Word. For we know that sickness and diseases come from satan. Sin is a cause for many of the infirmaties we have. And I do agree that because of sickness and diseases God draws us into Himself. He finds us ,we dont find Him,for God is not lost. Jesus said Ask and you shall recieve. So in FAITH recieve your healing. God Bless :thumbsup: .

I disagree with you, Spokenword, and so do the Scriptures.

Just try using a Concordance and looking up the words “suffering” and “cross” and see how many times Jesus Himself tells us we must pick up our crosses and follow Him. See how many times Paul speaks of suffering for the sake of Jesus.

If Our Heavenly Father didn’t spare His own Son from suffering, why do we believe that He will spare us?

Indeed, there are many things to gain from suffering:

“We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:3-5

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.” Colossians 1:24

“Beloved, do not be afraid of the fiery ordeal which comes upon you to prove you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice in so far as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.” 1 Peter 4:12-13

“Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same thought, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.” 1 Peter 4:1

These are only a sampling of the rich teaching of the Catholic Church regarding suffering. If we are to follow Jesus, we are to pick up our crosses and follow Him. Sometimes our crosses are physical, sometimes financial or emotional; sometimes big and sometimes small.

Nobody endures life on earth without some degree of suffering. Jesus teaches that suffering can have merit if we join our suffering to His. Why not make our suffering purposeful?

This doesn’t mean we can’t pray for healing, we absolutely can. But we cannot demand it from God, for we must believe in His Wisdom to do what is best for us, which is why we always pray “Thy will be done” just as Jesus taught us to pray.

We must also remember that spiritual healing is of primary importance, so Our Lord may choose to heal us spiritually while we remain with a “thorn in our flesh” as St. Paul did. Sometimes these “thorns” remind us of our dependance upon Jesus and our need for Him in every aspect of our lives.

Without the cross there is no glory; without the cross there is no crown.

[quote=Didi]I disagree with you, Spokenword, and so do the Scriptures.

Just try using a Concordance and looking up the words “suffering” and “cross” and see how many times Jesus Himself tells us we must pick up our crosses and follow Him. See how many times Paul speaks of suffering for the sake of Jesus.

If Our Heavenly Father didn’t spare His own Son from suffering, why do we believe that He will spare us?

Indeed, there are many things to gain from suffering:

“We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:3-5

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.” Colossians 1:24

“Beloved, do not be afraid of the fiery ordeal which comes upon you to prove you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice in so far as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.” 1 Peter 4:12-13

“Since therefore Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same thought, for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.” 1 Peter 4:1

These are only a sampling of the rich teaching of the Catholic Church regarding suffering. If we are to follow Jesus, we are to pick up our crosses and follow Him. Sometimes our crosses are physical, sometimes financial or emotional; sometimes big and sometimes small.

Nobody endures life on earth without some degree of suffering. Jesus teaches that suffering can have merit if we join our suffering to His. Why not make our suffering purposeful?

This doesn’t mean we can’t pray for healing, we absolutely can. But we cannot demand it from God, for we must believe in His Wisdom to do what is best for us, which is why we always pray “Thy will be done” just as Jesus taught us to pray.

We must also remember that spiritual healing is of primary importance, so Our Lord may choose to heal us spiritually while we remain with a “thorn in our flesh” as St. Paul did. Sometimes these “thorns” remind us of our dependance upon Jesus and our need for Him in every aspect of our lives.

Without the cross there is no glory; without the cross there is no crown.
[/quote]

Hi Didi,its okay to disagree with me.Maybe we are just misunderstanding each other.? I was addressing your comment on THY WILL BE DONE. I guess the point I was making is that many of us do not know the will of God in our lives.Do you know Gods Will in your life? I do. God wants to reveal His Will to us.Its us that make it to be Mystical.Read John15’15. The secrets of the Lord is for those who FEAR Him.Psalm 25;14. God has given to us the bible. It helps us to understand His Will. IF we give ourselves 100% to the Lord He will show us His Will. God Bless. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.