Clensed by the Blood of Christ

Ok… so, I know many many protestants have some severe issues with purgatory…

Mainly, they say it is not bblical…

so, I had a thought. I all the time hear, we dont ned purgatory because we are cleansed by the blood of the spirit. We are washed clean by his blood.

So on and so forth…

While i agree, we are cleaned by his blood, I started thinking, so, a man dies with sin on his soul, a catholics response would eb he would have to spend X amount of time in purgatory to remove the stain of sin. Mainly because god cannot let anything sinfull into the kingdom.

Protestant view, we do not need purgatory because our sins are paid for by his blood and will be cleansed with his blood if we die with sin on our soul…

So…
If I understand this view right…
Something still has to be done to our soul in order for us to enter heaven…

that something is our sould being cleansed by his blood

Sound like purgatory to me…

if we have sin on our soul at the time of death, and let us say the protestant view os correct in that we are then cleansed by the blood of the spirit…

Do we know how long it takes to be cleansed by the blood ? no…

do we know what entails when we are cleansed… no

all we know is that we are cleansed by the spirit

Well,
If these atatements are tru
I think purgatory just went to being one of the top most frequent concepts listed in the bible…

Just a thought…

Cheers :smiley:

I think that what a lot of Protestants fail to recognize is that we are forgiven for our sins, but the results of our poor actions (or inactions as the case may be) are still present. If I were to murder someone, I can repent, go to confession, and be absolved, but that doesn’t take the pain away from the family of the deceased. Purgatory cleanses us but also deals with the results of our sins. I think that a lot of protestants either overlook this, or have never had it suggested to them. Just my :twocents:

We make it more of an instantaneous event and call it glorification. Most of us would say sanctification is a process, and then glorification is the end of the process. The issue for us is saying that there is a justification process after the initial event. So purgatory is not needed (we believe) because we see justification as an event, and there is no need for a time of cleansing to be justified. Now I will admit there may be some wiggle room in our Theology for it if purgatory is not seen as punishment for sin but for finishing up sanctification. Other then that we then base rejecting it on two points. 1) even if possible, it is not necessary logically. 2) Revelation does not revel it. It’s only if purgatory means punishment for sins not paid for then we say that it’s error due to the death of Christ. Sanctification for us has nothing to do with paying for sins, but with purification and putting being filled with the spirit to live more like Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.