Clergy contributing to society

My grandfather was telling me the other day that people who have a religious vocation contribute the least to society. He is a cradle catholic, but never doesn't practice the faith and makes remarks like this frequently. I usually don't respond to prevent a quarrel.

What are your thoughts?

God Bless

They contribute the most.

Society is more than just here on Earth.

And here they provide comfort, support, guidance, wisdom, sometimes food and shelter, inspiration, the Word of God, Reconciliation with God, and last but not least,

The Blessed Sacrament.

What other human on Earth provides all of that?

All persons contribute to society - some provide good things and some provide evil things. When it comes to christians we, as Catholics, need to know that a priest's contribution is not of a higher level than the contribution of the faithful laity. We are all called to contribute positively. In addition, our faith tells us that our leadership are our servants. There is a term called clericalism which falsely teaches that priest, bishops and the pope are more worthy and greater importance - our church does not teach this but it is part of our catholic culture and the results have been negative.

I would ask your friend to elaborate so you know what he exactly means. Does he mean this from a capitalistic perspective or what perspective.

Clergy dedicate their lives 24/7 to serving God and helping other people... how is that not contributing? :shrug:

I completely agree with all of you

I suppose he thinks they don't contribute economically, because my grandfathers entire life has revolved around money. He doesn't understand how someone could willingly live in poverty for the sake of others.

I also don't think he realizes that religious institutions stimulate the economy in many ways.

That’s preposterous. Many of the craters on the moon were discovered by Jesuits. The Big Bang Theory was developed by a priest. Copernicus was a clergyman. Vivaldi was a priest. Think of all the writers: Merton, Augustine, Aquinas, et c. Not even considering the Sacramental effect one cleric has on the world, the amount the clergy has contributed in law, politics, humanities, writings, arts, and sciences is immeasurable.

It is by their continuous prayers for us and for the whole world that cloistered nuns in convents are keeping the world from spinning off of its axis. :slight_smile:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Wish I had thought of that.!!! :smiley:

Haha that is so great! Good work!:thumbsup:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

[quote="Primum_Non_Noce, post:5, topic:329209"]

I suppose he thinks they don't contribute economically, because my grandfathers entire life has revolved around money. He doesn't understand how someone could willingly live in poverty for the sake of others.

I also don't think he realizes that religious institutions stimulate the economy in many ways.

[/quote]

I wonder if a person who measures human worth in economic terms can understand the value of clergy.

Religious institutions do contribute to economy but I wonder if you used such an example if that would only support his view that only money determines worth.

I have found that it is (nearly) impossible to discuss such matters with people who see things as your grandfather does.

[quote="Primum_Non_Noce, post:5, topic:329209"]
I completely agree with all of you

[/quote]

I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said na person can know "the price of everything but the value of nothing."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.