Clergy Sexual Abuse: Questions Remain

I read this and found it interesting:

hprweb.com/2012/08/clergy-sexual-abuse-questions-remain/

I cannot understand how various dioceses across the world allowed this situation to ever develop. I know my faith in the Church has been tested by these scandals and yet it seems that some in the institutional Church never quite get the message and take this seriously. I am not sure if it is fear of being labelled homophobic.

from the article:

"However, a more important question remains unanswered: why should the Church allow predators to be lurking among the clergy in the first place?"

I have struggled with this question for over 30 years. I wish I knew the answer.

It just alarms and worries me that this question even has to be asked.

[quote="Sing4Him, post:2, topic:298141"]
from the article:

"However, a more important question remains unanswered: why should the Church allow predators to be lurking among the clergy in the first place?"

I have struggled with this question for over 30 years. I wish I knew the answer.

[/quote]

For some idiotic reason, the right-hand half of the text is pure green, so it was impossible to make out what Fr Scanlon is saying; but:

The (practising) homosexual network among the clergy knows what it wants and is determined to get it. [Same as any other determined group.] Its members support each other...and they put pressure on members who get to a position of influence and/or authority. Payback time.

A person who`s been involved with Courage told me that homosexual folks tend to be very manipulative and know how to get what they want.

Naturally, it`s easier to effect a cover-up when the perpetrator has the support of a network, including maybe a bishop, rather than being out on his own.

Of course, there`s also the ostrich syndrome. :shrug:

Now for the angry reaction.

The author is questioning and discounting the methodology and findings of an expert in a field that is not the author's field in order to support his own conclusions. In other words, he's stating his uninformed opinion.

[quote="Battleaxe, post:4, topic:298141"]

Of course, there`s also the ostrich syndrome. :shrug:

[/quote]

I blame this more than any secret organization or network.

I couldn't get past this:

"This fact suggests one reform that has yet to be addressed: the Church must screen out clergy candidates with same-sex attractions."

If he had his way the Church would not have Henri Nouwen (and I'm assuming many more brilliant, beautiful people). Also, it's disgusting to equate pedophilia with homosexuality.

Opinion, not news

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.