Clergy who don't believe in God

The London Times
5 July 2005
Ruth Gledhill

Clergy and laity show signs of schism over homosexuality, miracles and the Almighty

HUNDREDS of Church of England clergy doubt the existence of God and fewer than two thirds believe in miracles, a study out today says.

The report, published on the eve of the General Synod, refers to “very fragile faultlines along which the Church of England could be torn apart”. Congregations are much more conservative than most of the comparatively liberal clergy preaching to them.

The report says that if committed Anglicans are clear about one thing it is the existence of God: 97 per cent have no hesitation in affirming His existence. Yet, it continues, one in 33 clerics doubts the existence of God. If reflected throughout the Church’s 9,000 clergy the finding would mean that nearly 300 Church of England clergy are uncertain that God exists.

Continued at timesonline.co.uk

[quote=David_Paul]The London Times
5 July 2005
Ruth Gledhill

Clergy and laity show signs of schism over homosexuality, miracles and the Almighty

HUNDREDS of Church of England clergy doubt the existence of God and fewer than two thirds believe in miracles, a study out today says.

The report, published on the eve of the General Synod, refers to “very fragile faultlines along which the Church of England could be torn apart”. Congregations are much more conservative than most of the comparatively liberal clergy preaching to them.

The report says that if committed Anglicans are clear about one thing it is the existence of God: 97 per cent have no hesitation in affirming His existence. Yet, it continues, one in 33 clerics doubts the existence of God. If reflected throughout the Church’s 9,000 clergy the finding would mean that nearly 300 Church of England clergy are uncertain that God exists.

Continued at timesonline.co.uk
[/quote]

David Paul,

Just a quick mathematical note: if 97 percent of Anglicans have no hesitation in affirming the existence of God, that means that the other 3 percent (which is 1 in 33) do hesitate, or therefore doubt the existence of God. So the rate among clergy is roughly the same as it is among Anglicans as a whole. This is not a good thing, but doesn’t really mean that the laity are more devout than the clergy.

• Liberian

Satan believes in God, profession of belief is nothing without practice, and that hypocrisy of belief without practice is his greatest victory in the church

If you don’t believe in GOD why on earth would you be part of the Clergy…What are you worshiping.NOTHING! It doesn’t make any sense to me!

[quote=alekzander]If you don’t believe in GOD why on earth would you be part of the Clergy…What are you worshiping.NOTHING! It doesn’t make any sense to me!
[/quote]

Let’s assume they believed when they entered the clergy. Or, it could be like it was 200 years ago and the useless younger son had to do something with himself (he would inherit nothing) so he joined the clergy to make a living for himself.:wink:

[quote=puzzleannie]Satan believes in God, profession of belief is nothing without practice, and that hypocrisy of belief without practice is his greatest victory in the church
[/quote]

Or, IOW - unbelieviong words may hide a believing heart :slight_smile:

[quote=Pug]Let’s assume they believed when they entered the clergy. Or, it could be like it was 200 years ago and the useless younger son had to do something with himself (he would inherit nothing) so he joined the clergy to make a living for himself.:wink:
[/quote]

Maybe they like counseling people too. Even still, my innitial reaction was to wonder why they remain in the clergy?

[quote=epr1993]Maybe they like counseling people too. Even still, my innitial reaction was to wonder why they remain in the clergy?
[/quote]

Why not? Just because someone has doubts about the existence of “God”, doesn’t mean they have doubts about the positive effect the
belief in God has upon people.

[quote=Ahimsa]Why not? Just because someone has doubts about the existence of “God”, doesn’t mean they have doubts about the positive effect the
belief in God has upon people.
[/quote]

We have social workers and psychiatrists who are aware of the positive aspects of belief in God. A minister or priest is supposed to be something beyond just a “Captain Feel Good” of his congregation/parish. His role is not that of an underpaid mental health professional. He is supposed to lead his people to God. It’s rather hard to lead people toward a place you do not believe exists don’t you think?

BTW this lack of belief and lack of emphasis on God, the Bible and living a holy life is the very reason people have and continue to flee the liberal churches. They are reaping what they sowed

Lisa N

[quote=epr1993]Maybe they like counseling people too. Even still, my innitial reaction was to wonder why they remain in the clergy?
[/quote]

It’s hard to say. I personally don’t know any pastor/preachers well enough to know what goes through their thoughts. I do know that it takes awhile to adjust to changes in your belief system. If your whole life has been predicated on faith and belief, you may adapt to the loss of faith by staying where you are. Perhaps you have no idea what else to do with yourself, or you don’t want to confront it. Most people don’t face loss of their livelihood because they change religion or belief, but a clergyman could. He could think he is good at what he does and knows he has no training to do any other job any better. He may hope that if he continues on, somehow his faith will return. It doesn’t surprise me that some would remain in the clergy, particularly if they are older and well-established in a parish when the lose the faith.

Clergy is supposed to guide us in our faith,forgive our sins through Jesus Christ-If they don’t believe in a living,divine Christ it must all seem like nonsense to them…i don’t want people like this leading anybody’s church.Clergy is supposed to pray for us…well who are they praying to if they don’t believe in anything…it makes absolutely no sense!!

I think of that one character Bishop sponge-why don’t the people of the faith that he is part of-I believe episcopalian-strip him of his collar and tell him to quit making a mockery of their faith.He doesn’t believe Jesus was divine,he doesn’t believe that Jesus rose from the dead-These are the BASIC TENANTS OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH-if you don’t believe them you are not a christian and certainly not qualified to be clergy so quit acting like you are.

no kidding? hmmmm very interesting…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.